The Six Nations Tournament : 2006

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by limerickman, Feb 2, 2006.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I had hoped that DB would have started a thread about the 6 Nations 2006
    Tournament but seeing as he hasn't I've done so.

For all those Americans out there who may be wondering what the hell we're talking about - we have a rugby union tournament each year between Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy.

So who's going to do what?

Will England improve on 2005?
    Are France really the favourites and is it just a matter of their turning up to win?
    Can Wales repeat 2005 and he Grand Chelem (as the French refer to it!).
    Will Ireland upset the the favourites?
    How are Scotland improving?
    And will Italy make more progress under Berbizier?

I love the 6 Nations Tournament.

My prediction : I don't think Wales can repeat 2005.
    England, I think are still finding their way back to the top.
    Ireland may contest second spot with England.
    Scotland are improving (3 wins out of the last 5 games) : they ditched Williams which was the correct move.
    Will italy get another win in the tournament.

I think France have to be favourites to win - they've got the best team, best squad.

France 1st
    England/Ireland 2nd and 3rd.
    Wales 4th.
    Scotland 5th
    Italy 6th.

That's the kiss of death for France !

Tags:

2. stairdiver

stairdiver New Member

sorry there limerickman but i have to disagree with you. all the press at the moment is saying how England are gonna be too strong for us Welsh boys. Having seen the teams, i can't see anywhere where they're better/stronger than us. i'm expecting the usual English style of 10 man, ball up the jumper, rugby.
    Ireland will be better this year, O'Driscoll and D'Arcy were awesome for Leinster last weekend.
    Agree with you that France are favourites, but we did beat them last year.
    Prediction:

France/Wales 1st and 2nd
    Ireland/England 3rd and 4th
    Scotland 5th
    Italy 6th

I'm open for all humiliating comments should we win the wooden spoon!
    Let the games begin.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Wales are missing over half of their 2005 team for staurdays game with England.

BTW France/Wales 2005 was the most exciting game of rugby I have seen in a very long time.

4. darkboong

darkboong New Member

Aye it was. Really stunning.

As much as I like Tindall, he just ain't the right solution for the English backline. I can't see Tindall and Noon ever settling down to pose a credible attacking threat. With a sense of regret for once I have to go with the Pundits, although one of them is the Godlike figure of Jason Leonard... J Simpson-Daniel + Lewsey for centre ! Nevetheless it looks like Noon/Tindall get another chance to strut their stuff this weekend, good luck to them, here's hoping they rip the Welsh to pieces. :)

5. stairdiver

stairdiver New Member

Wales are missing over half of their 2005 team for staurdays game with England
    and???

Nevetheless it looks like Noon/Tindall get another chance to strut their stuff this weekend, good luck to them, here's hoping they rip the Welsh to pieces.
    sorry, just fell off my chair laughing.
    hope matthew j watkins and tindall shake hands before the game cos that's the only time tindall will get a hand on him.

6. Colorado Ryder

Colorado Ryder New Member

Over here no one probably cares. The biggest sporting event in the US happens on Sunday. Way to much hype and the game rarely lives up to it.

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Superbowl?

My brother in law was asking me about this - Seattle are in the S/Bowl and they're playing who, can I ask?

8. Colorado Ryder

Pittsburgh Steelers. I think Pittsburgh is favored by 4. Football is the big sport in the US. NFL football is king of all sports here.

9. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

Why do nfl players wear helmets and padding?Are they scared of getting hurt?
    :D

10. Colorado Ryder

Don't know and don't care.

11. stairdiver

stairdiver New Member

bugger! double bugger!!

12. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

Always lives up to the hype...some of the best commercials of the year. I understand that there's a game going on in between the commercials.

13. darkboong

darkboong New Member

Looks like the Joke is on you. I saw Juilan White catching and dropping Welsh centres. Ho Ho. ;)

It was good to see the Backs having a go, they still sucked, but they had a go, and England kept pushing for a full 80 mins. Best attitude I've seen from them for ages. Dallaglio's try was a very unlucky for Wales (how often do you have a Ref blocking a tackle for you ?).

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

England were very very impressive against Wales.
    Twickenham hasn;t been a good ground for Wales and yesterday was no exception but England were impressive.

But what about Scotland ?
    Marevllous result against France - the Scots played really well and they never let the French in to the game during the first half.
    I was delighted for Scotland.

Ireland Italy was a poor game - the ref gave us a try that never was.
    We;re off to Paris next week - we'll get the backlash for the Murrayfield result
    I think!

15. stairdiver

stairdiver New Member

Looks like the Joke is on you

i set myself up, didn't i?

Dallaglio's try was a very unlucky for Wales (how often do you have a Ref blocking a tackle for you ?).
    as was dawson's from a knock on, and a penalty for sidoli's pulling back of grewcock despite grewcock receiving a pass that was at least 5 yds forward!
    and i thought hitting a ball into touch is a penalty offence.
    gripe over, we were beaten but score wasn't reflective of the game.

we've got less to gripe about than the italians, never a try in a million years. turning point for them in a game they should have one.
    hats off to scotland, what a performance. played as a team and it paid off for them.

gonna be a tough one for us next weekend.

16. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

How often does any event live up to the hype? I believe events like to Super Bowl are comparable to, say the Nations Tourney. The difference in the US is size. The rivalry between England and Wales is much greater than say a rivalry between New York and Los Angeles because these two countries are much closer than the two cities. And those in between the two cities don't much care either way because 'they got no dog in this fight.'
    Take a regular Sunday game between the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers. The fan base, the rivalry, the atmosphere is much greater than you'd find in any SuperBowl. The difference there is the hype (and the chance for an equipment malfunction).

17. Fixey

Fixey New Member

I watched the Super Bowl today......OMFG FOUR BLOODY OURS + of yap and very little of anything else. I have watched my first and last superbowl! Do all NFL games go that long?

Any how back to the thread........OH ROSE OF SCOTLAND echo's across the land tonight for sure

18. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

yes, 'oh flower of Scotland, when will we see, yer like again'....etc.

not bad against the Frenchies.

Still they must be one of the favourites. I hope we can play that good against the English.

19. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

Nope, some are actually exciting. I'd say 1 in 4 SuperBowls live up to the hype.
    Yup, most are filled with yap.
    The SuperBowls go on forever because they sell commericials for about a trillion dollars a second and the advertisers want every second they pay for. When you spend that much on a commercial, you're going to insist they play it during the game, so that's why they have the 'powers that be' calling time out instead of a team.
    Great commercials, thou.

20. darkboong

darkboong New Member

Hmm, wasn't really paying attention at that precise moment but it didn't look like Dawson was knocking on to me.

Not necessarily. If every game was ref'd that way you would run out of players. :)

I was expecting a thrashing at Murrayfield to be honest, it was an amazing performance by the Scots. It's good to see them actually harnessing their talent at *LONG* last. The Six Nations will be richer for it !

Wales can take on anyone on the day IMO, home nations Rugby seems to be a confidence trick these days !