The Skinny Epidemic

Gerard Lanois

Guest
OK, so I have this problem, and it has bothered me every night for the last year since I dropped
about 35 pounds of body weight.

The layer of fat that used to be on my inner thighs and the insides of my knees disappeared. This
has made sleeping on my sides fairly uncomfortable, due the pressure of one boney knee against the
other. Shifting the top knee so that it rests either on the opposite leg's lower thigh bone or upper
shin bone isn't hardly an improvment, and also this induces some amount of twist in my spine which
has resulted in some stiffness in my lower back.

My technique, a poor one at that, is to grab a big handful of blanket and put it between my knees as
a cushion. That works, but if I roll over in the middle of the night I have to repeat the procedure
and that is usually enough to wake me up (or keep me awake if I am trying to fall asleep). This is
becoming even more of a problem now that the warmth of summer is here - I sleep with only a sheet
with a very light blanket.

How have you life-long skinny biker types dealt with this? Duct tape a pillow to one knee?

Mostly serious,

-Gerard

PS: Any of you using a strap-on?

http://www.comforthouse.com/betknepil.html

"Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> OK, so I have this problem, and it has bothered me every night for the last year since I dropped
> about 35 pounds of body weight.
>
> The layer of fat that used to be on my inner thighs and the insides of my knees disappeared. This
> has made sleeping on my sides fairly uncomfortable, due the pressure of one boney knee against the
> other. Shifting the top knee so that it rests either on the opposite leg's lower thigh bone or
> upper shin bone isn't hardly an improvment, and also this induces some amount of twist in my spine
> which has resulted in some stiffness in my lower back.
>
> My technique, a poor one at that, is to grab a big handful of blanket and put it between my knees
> as a cushion. That works, but if I roll over in the middle of the night I have to repeat the
> procedure and that is usually enough to wake me up (or keep me awake if I am trying to fall
> asleep). This is becoming even more of a problem now that the warmth of summer is here - I sleep
> with only a sheet with a very light blanket.
>
> How have you life-long skinny biker types dealt with this? Duct tape a pillow to one knee?
>

> Mostly serious,
>
> -Gerard

I've never heard of that particular problem before, sounds like a mental thing.

Throw one leg over the wife or girl friend, should help to alleviate the discomfort.

Dashii

"Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> OK, so I have this problem, and it has bothered me every night for the last year since I dropped
> about 35 pounds of body weight.
>
> The layer of fat that used to be on my inner thighs and the insides of my knees disappeared. This
> has made sleeping on my sides fairly uncomfortable, due the pressure of one boney knee against the
> other. Shifting the top knee so that it rests either on the opposite leg's lower thigh bone or
> upper shin bone isn't hardly an improvment, and also this induces some amount of twist in my spine
> which has resulted in some stiffness in my lower back.
>
> My technique, a poor one at that, is to grab a big handful of blanket and put it between my knees
> as a cushion. That works, but if I roll over in the middle of the night I have to repeat the
> procedure and that is usually enough to wake me up (or keep me awake if I am trying to fall
> asleep). This is becoming even more of a problem now that the warmth of summer is here - I sleep
> with only a sheet with a very light blanket.
>
> How have you life-long skinny biker types dealt with this? Duct tape a pillow to one knee?
>

> Mostly serious,
>
> -Gerard
>
> PS: Any of you using a strap-on?
>
> http://www.comforthouse.com/betknepil.html

You are not alone. I found the best is either a small thin pillow or a girls thigh. If you use the
pillow, yes you have to shift it around. You got big knees, pretty good bone mass and it's getting
in the way? Try sleeping on your back, but some people get nightmares doing that. Might want to
check out all the pads at a good mattress shop, maybe one of those Tempur-pedic memory form pads or
pillows and strap that to your legs if things get desperate. The best thing to do is get into a
really good position and resist the desire to turn. Another thing to try is to sleep on your back
but turn just slightly to the left or right, whichever is best for you. This will give you the
illusion of sleeping on your side and solve the knee problem.

Better yet maybe the weightlessness of sleeping in a chamber provided by Nasa.

B-

Buy an extra pillow, put it between your knees. It works fine.

Dashi Toshii wrote:
> Throw one leg over the wife or girl friend, should help to alleviate the discomfort.

Aha. I knew I was missing something being single, but couldn't put my finger on it.

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dashi Toshii wrote:
> > Throw one leg over the wife or girl friend, should help to alleviate the discomfort.
>
> Aha. I knew I was missing something being single, but couldn't put my finger on it.

I'mm not even going to explore that one!

heather halvorson wrote:

> this won't help, but i usually sleep like this- http://www.indian.cl/images/tsleep8.jpg
>
> > PS: Any of you using a strap-on?
>
> no, although a sleep position like this might call for one-
> http://www.stockingshq.com/graphics/affiliate/sleep.jpg
>
> heather

Geez Heather... that is just twisted!

Can I stay at your place some night? ;)

~grins~

Joe
--
#----------------------------------------------------------# "Don't fear the penguin!" #
#----------------------------------------------------------# Registered Linux user: #309247

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gerard Lanois wrote:
> >
> > How have you life-long skinny biker types dealt with this? Duct tape a pillow to one knee?
> >
> > Mostly serious,
> >
> > -Gerard
>
> this won't help, but i usually sleep like this- http://www.indian.cl/images/tsleep8.jpg
>

> > PS: Any of you using a strap-on?
>
> no, although a sleep position like this might call for one-
> http://www.stockingshq.com/graphics/affiliate/sleep.jpg
>
> heather

Oh, you naughty, naughty girl you!

I'm afraid that I wouldn't be getting any sleep at all.

Dashii

There is a photo of Heather on the web if you are smart enough to know where to find it. Heather
looks cool on skates. No, I won't be stalking Heather. Any girl who can ride from Seattle to
Portland on Roller Skates can probably kick my ass!

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Any girl who can ride from Seattle to Portland on Roller Skates can
probably
> kick my ass!

A few months ago you were going to kick Kurgan's ass in a Texas second.

What gives?

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Any girl who can ride from Seattle to Portland on Roller Skates can
> probably
> > kick my ass!
> >

> A few months ago you were going to kick Kurgan's ass in a Texas second.
>
> What gives?

Just joking about Heather in this instance, but on the other hand Heather might be martial arts
expert. Also again, riding the STP on roller skates makes her a pretty tuff cookie in my book.

B-

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Any girl who can ride from Seattle to Portland on Roller Skates can
> probably
> > kick my ass!
> >

> A few months ago you were going to kick Kurgan's ass in a Texas second.
>
> What gives?

Do you think you could last 50 miles on roller skates Carl? How about 100? How about 200? Baby
probably has legs that won't quit. With a little training she could probably kick some butt, if she
already hasn't had plenty.

B-

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > A few months ago you were going to kick Kurgan's ass in a Texas second.
> >
> > What gives?
>
> Do you think you could last 50 miles on roller skates Carl? How about 100? How about 200?

No, I couldn't.

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > A few months ago you were going to kick Kurgan's ass in a Texas second.
> > >
> > > What gives?
> >
> > Do you think you could last 50 miles on roller skates Carl? How about 100? How about 200?
> >

> No, I couldn't.

stop being modest-sure you could, if you wanted to, but why you would want to is beyond me :)

to me skating is easier than cycling because it's all about shifting your weight around, unlike
riding a bike (aka, torture device) where it all comes from your muscles. don't know if that makes
sense or not, but if i ride for 60 miles, i feel like i've been in a boxing match while being sick
with the flu. even my bones ache. if i skate that far i just have sore feet and a tired feeling. i
can't believe anyone could ride a bike for 200 miles, but i've seen it with my own eyes, so i have
to believe it.

not sure how this came up in this thread- going back to posting about interesting sleeping
positions now, h

Bruce Johnston wrote:
> You are not alone. I found the best is either a small thin pillow or a girls thigh. If you use the
> pillow, yes you have to shift it around. You got big knees, pretty good bone mass and it's getting
> in the way? Try sleeping on your back, but some people get nightmares doing that. Might want to
> check out all the pads at a good mattress shop, maybe one of those Tempur-pedic memory form pads
> or pillows and strap that to your legs if things get desperate. The best thing to do is get into a
> really good position and resist the desire to turn. Another thing to try is to sleep on your back
> but turn just slightly to the left or right, whichever is best for you. This will give you the
> illusion of sleeping on your side and solve the knee problem.

Try breaking a collar bone and sleeping with your arm in an arm sling
- this provides a crash course in sleeping on your back. And it also

> Better yet maybe the weightlessness of sleeping in a chamber provided by Nasa.

How do you plan on being weighless without being in orbit or in a diving jet ?

heather halvorson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> to me skating is easier than cycling because it's all about shifting your weight around, unlike
> riding a bike (aka, torture device) where it all comes from your muscles. don't know if that makes
> sense or not, but if i ride for 60 miles, i feel like i've been in a boxing match while being sick
> with the flu. even my bones ache. if i skate that far i just have sore feet and a tired feeling. i
> can't believe anyone could ride a bike for 200 miles, but i've seen it with my own eyes, so i have
> to believe it.

Well, I just did my first speedskating workout of the year today. Everything was going fine, for
about the first 3 minutes, then my lower back started hurting and I was barely able to finish the
3.4 K lap. With 5 minute rest periods, I managed to do two more laps. It looks like weekly
weightlifting sessions including hyperextensions and crunches didn't solve that back problem
after all...

As for the original weight issue, I lost 10 lbs over the winter, and with the weightlifting and low
fat diet it must have been mostly fat. As usual when I weigh less than 160lbs and "eat right" my
fitness is not that great, and my climbing must be even more abysmal than usual, though there aren't
any hills around here to bear this out.

-ilan

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bruce Johnston wrote:
> > You are not alone. I found the best is either a small thin pillow or a
girls
> > thigh. If you use the pillow, yes you have to shift it around. You got
big
> > knees, pretty good bone mass and it's getting in the way? Try sleeping
on
> > your back, but some people get nightmares doing that. Might want to
check
> > out all the pads at a good mattress shop, maybe one of those
Tempur-pedic
> > memory form pads or pillows and strap that to your legs if things get desperate. The best thing
> > to do is get into a really good position and resist the desire to turn. Another thing to try is
> > to sleep on your back
but
> > turn just slightly to the left or right, whichever is best for you. This will give you the
> > illusion of sleeping on your side and solve the knee problem.
>
> Try breaking a collar bone and sleeping with your arm in an arm sling
> - this provides a crash course in sleeping on your back. And it also

> > Better yet maybe the weightlessness of sleeping in a chamber provided by Nasa.
>
> How do you plan on being weighless without being in orbit or in a diving jet ?

I wonder if this would solve a lot of sleeping problems. Maybe a new market for the future. I
thought I caught a glimpse of a NASA clip with some type of sims. My first reaction as I was using
the remote to skip channels was that it was something on Terrafirma, but maybe it wasn't.

B-