The Skinny Epidemic

"Ilan Vardi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I just did my first speedskating workout of the year today. Everything was going fine, for
> about the first 3 minutes, then my lower back started hurting and I was barely able to finish the
> 3.4 K lap.

3.4k laps? Hmmm. Are you bothering the guys at Longchamps again?

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Carl Sundquist wrote:

> > > Do you think you could last 50 miles on roller skates Carl? How about
100?
> > > How about 200?
> > >

> > No, I couldn't.
>
> stop being modest-sure you could, if you wanted to, but why you would want to is beyond me :)
>
> to me skating is easier than cycling because it's all about shifting your weight around, unlike
> riding a bike (aka, torture device) where it all comes from your muscles. don't know if that makes
> sense or not, but if i ride for 60 miles, i feel like i've been in a boxing match while being sick
> with the flu. even my bones ache. if i skate that far i just have sore feet and a tired feeling. i
> can't believe anyone could ride a bike for 200 miles, but i've seen it with my own eyes, so i have
> to believe it.
>
> not sure how this came up in this thread- going back to posting about interesting sleeping
> positions now, h

Your bike must not fit or is adjusted incorrectly ......... OR each to his or her own. But I do miss
seeing you grace the BG trail. Are you doing the STP again this year?

Ken

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

i can't believe anyone could ride a
> bike for 200 miles, but i've seen it with my own eyes, so i have to believe it.

In the TDF one stage nearly 200 miles long was won by Thierry Marie of France in his home town, and
if memory serves correctly he was out front at one point by 30 minutes, and at the end I believe the
lead was cut to 10 minutes. No matter because he couldn't climb and probably lost more then 30
minutes in mountain stages. He was an excellent TT rider.

B-

[email protected] (Donald Munro) writes:

> Try breaking a collar bone and sleeping with your arm in an arm sling
> - this provides a crash course in sleeping on your back.

Fractured ribs last season. Slept on my back exclusively for 10 weeks. Just getting in and out of
bed was a major project.

So you had to switch hands?

-Gerard

heather halvorson wrote:

> i can't believe anyone could ride a bike for 200 miles, but i've seen it with my own eyes, so i
> have to believe it.

I've ridden 39 double centuries myself, including one triple.

Kendall wrote:

> But I do miss seeing you grace the BG trail. Are you doing the STP again this year?

yes, i'm dumb enough to try it again, although i don't feel like i'm in very good shape this time
around. i've managed to skate two centuries in june so far, but i still feel fat and slow. it's ok
though. last year i trained so much that i got burned out, and now it feels kinda good just to do a
half-ass job for once.

heather

Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
> In the TDF one stage nearly 200 miles long was won by Thierry Marie of France in his home town,
> and if memory serves correctly he was out front at one point by 30 minutes, and at the end I
> believe the lead was cut to 10 minutes. No matter because he couldn't climb and probably lost more
> then 30 minutes in mountain stages. He was an excellent TT rider.

Marie won stage 6 to Le Havre in 1991 over a distance of 160 miles. They ran a 300K stage the year
before but haven't topped 200 miles since 1984, stage 9, Nantes - Bordeaux, 338K (210 miles).

300K stages used to be much more common. In the 1950s the style was to finish the Tour with a 300+K
jaunt into Paris, just the thing to wind up three weeks in the saddle.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In the TDF one stage nearly 200 miles long was won by Thierry Marie of France in his home town,
> > and if memory serves correctly he was out front
at
> > one point by 30 minutes, and at the end I believe the lead was cut to 10 minutes. No matter
> > because he couldn't climb and probably lost more then
30
> > minutes in mountain stages. He was an excellent TT rider.
>
> Marie won stage 6 to Le Havre in 1991 over a distance of 160 miles. They ran a 300K stage the year
> before but haven't topped 200 miles since 1984, stage 9, Nantes - Bordeaux, 338K (210 miles).
>
> 300K stages used to be much more common. In the 1950s the style was to finish the Tour with a
> 300+K jaunt into Paris, just the thing to wind up three weeks in the saddle.

Well, after 200 miles running on fumes, the sprinters probably didn't have much left in the tank to
contest the pride and prestige of the final sprint on the Champs Elysees in Paris. They probably
figured that the riders were be fresher for a better finish in Paris if the final stage was shorter.
I don't know, but that is just my guess.

B-

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > 300K stages used to be much more common. In the 1950s the style was to finish the Tour with a
> > 300+K jaunt into Paris, just the thing to wind up three weeks in the saddle.
>
> Well, after 200 miles running on fumes, the sprinters probably didn't have much left in the tank
> to contest the pride and prestige of the final
sprint
> on the Champs Elysees in Paris. They probably figured that the riders were be fresher for a better
> finish in Paris if the final stage was shorter. I don't know, but that is just my guess.

In that period, the finish was typically at the old Parc des Princes on the west side of the city. I
think after they tore it down there were a few years when the finish was at La Cipale on the east
side. It wasn't until the mid-1970's sometime that they started using the Champs Elysee.

"Ilan Vardi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As for the original weight issue, I lost 10 lbs over the winter, and with the weightlifting and
> low fat diet it must have been mostly fat.

BTW, if I grant that you are affûté, can we avoid the photographic evidence?

David Ryan wrote:

> heather halvorson wrote:
> >
> > i can't believe anyone could ride a bike for 200 miles, but i've seen it with my own eyes, so i
> > have to believe it.
>
> I've ridden 39 double centuries myself, including one triple.

that's a lot! does any one stand out as being particularly horrible/difficult? (let's not even talk
about the triple..) heather

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> to me skating is easier than cycling because it's all about shifting your weight around,

You should try skating on cross-country skis -- you'd be great.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

heather halvorson wrote:

> David Ryan wrote:
> >
> > heather halvorson wrote:
> > >
> > > i can't believe anyone could ride a bike for 200 miles, but i've seen it with my own eyes, so
> > > i have to believe it.
> >
> > I've ridden 39 double centuries myself, including one triple.
>
> that's a lot! does any one stand out as being particularly horrible/difficult? (let's not even
> talk about the triple..) heather

There were a couple of 19 I did on a mountain bike where I got very dehydrated toward the end and
puked after, and one that I got seriously sunburned (242 miles in 23:12). I guess the worst one was
at 301 miles (longer than 24 hours, so it doesn't count as a triple - there were four like that)
where I got too tired, puked pretty good and had to call for a pick-up. There was one ride that
would have been a double, but I got hit by a car at 186. Those two are my only abandons.

The roadbike doubles were no trouble. I once did three on a three-day weekend. The triple (500k -
311 miles - 21:03), I only got tired the last couple hours. 175 of it was a one-way club ride. Then
I rode around 135 home. I came close one other time with a 400k randonee, finishing first, plus 25
miles or so round-trip to the motel. (There was a 600k randonee too, but it was split 400-200 with a
mandatory overnight stop.)

In article <[email protected]>,
David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

> The roadbike doubles were no trouble. I once did three on a three-day weekend. The triple (500k -
> 311 miles - 21:03), I only got tired the last couple hours. 175 of it was a one-way club ride.
> Then I rode around 135 home. I came close one other time with a 400k randonee, finishing first,
> plus 25 miles or so round-trip to the motel. (There was a 600k randonee too, but it was split
> 400-200 with a mandatory overnight stop.)

What kind of lame brevet was that? I'm not making fun: I did two metric centuries this year, and
that's about as long as I want to be on the bicycle at any one time. What I'm curious about is a 600
km ride (which is PBP-qualifier distance) that has a mandatory sleepover.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The roadbike doubles were no trouble. I once did three on a three-day weekend. The triple (500k
> > - 311 miles - 21:03), I only got tired the last couple hours. 175 of it was a one-way club ride.
> > Then I rode around 135 home. I came close one other time with a 400k randonee, finishing first,
> > plus 25 miles or so round-trip to the motel. (There was a 600k randonee too, but it was split
> > 400-200 with a mandatory overnight stop.)
>
> What kind of lame brevet was that? I'm not making fun: I did two metric centuries this year, and
> that's about as long as I want to be on the bicycle at any one time. What I'm curious about is a
> 600 km ride (which is PBP-qualifier distance) that has a mandatory sleepover.

You still had the official 40 hours from start to finish (4am day-1 to 8pm day-2), but there weren't
any officials willing to man checkpoints in the open overnight. It was 400km out-and-back from a
park cabin the first day and 200km on a different route the next. Some people were not back until
nearly next morning and several of them abandoned. It was in June. I finished the first day at
8:50pm, the only one to get back before sunset.

You remind me of the local racing team that showed up just for the 200km brevet. I paced one woman
racer almost to the turnaround. (There was a big climb there.) I stopped for a few minutes and then
just meandered back. About 25 miles from the end, while I was sitting in a parking lot sucking on
some Gu, the racing team (which also allegedly cut the course) blew by me through the lot (cutting
the proper corner). I finished the Gu and tossed the pack in the dumpster before taking out after
them. I was riding with them having a conversation when one went off the front. After an "Excuse
me", I went after him. Turned out after more than 100 miles, they really didn't have it for a race.
From there I time trialed it, dropping two off my wheel on the low risers and finishing six minutes
ahead over the last 10 or 12 miles. Like they say, whatever.

(You just reminded me of the story, not the attitude.)

When you are long hours on the bike, your butt hardens, leg cramps happen farther and farther out. I
rode metric centuries almost every day of the week after work except Mondays, meeting the rest of
the team, and two or more mile-centuries on the weekend. I enjoyed being on the bike. A lot of my
"centuries" were closer to a century-and-a-half, as I would ride to and from club centuries.