The Speed Trap - BBC1 Scotland

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:30:57 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>>> Can you think of a time when one might be unacceptably high?

>> Yes. For example the 70mph limit on the road that runs past where I work.

>But it's only unacceptably high because drivers are incapable of picking
>an appropriate speed on their own.

As far as I can tell that's the only reason limits exist in the first
place. And the arguments against enforcement are all based on denial
of this fundamental fact!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On 10 Nov 2005 16:30:25 -0000, [email protected] (B.G. Finlay)
said in <[email protected]>:

> You might believe that with all those speed cameras in place there would
>be more traffic police freed up to tackle careless/dangerous/drink driving
>but all that's happened in that the police have downsized their traffic
>depts nationwide.

That is the result of traffic policing being all but removed from the
police performance measures, and it predates the steep rise in numbers
of cameras (around 2001).

What we would have without cameras is no traffic police *and* no speed
enforcement. Which would not, IMO, be an improvement.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On 11 Nov 2005 08:09:05 -0800, "Marz" <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>Oh god, another idiot. OK, very slowly now, the speed of the car did
>not cause the child to run into the street. The speed of the vehicle
>will decide the outcome, near miss, collision or death. A driver
>speeding though a 20mph zone who kills someone running into the street
>is almost always entirely to blame for that death, because if they'd
>been driving correctly a life may have been spared, BUT they did not
>start the chain of events they just made it a millions times worse.

Two points here:

First, the above appears to place the blame on the child for behaving
like a child. Motoring seems to be the only area in which we would
defend an adult for failing to moderate their behaviour in an area
where it might cause danger to children (compare and contrast the
incredible level of child protection regulation now surrounding all
other areas involving contact with children). Motorists are the single
largest cause of preventable death in children.

Second, it is an evasion. Speeding in the case mentioned is the prime
cause of the collision, since if the driver had not been speeding he
would have been able to stop in time (or the consequences of failing
to do so would have been lower).

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On 11 Nov 2005 09:21:25 -0800, "Marz" <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>Isn't the 2 second rule based on reaction time and vehicle speed?

And the fact that the majority of people flatly refuse to allow a gap
which would actually allow them to stop in the distance they can see
to be clear. It's the smallest gap which you can be reasonably sure
you will get away with most of the time.

Guy
--

Marz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, so 'reaction time' or the process of perceiving an event, deciding
> on a course of action and following through with that action is pretty
> much a constant time for each individual.

Not so. The *best* is pretty much a constant per individual, but there
is wide variation within the individual due to such things as time of
day, how tired you are, how pre-occupied you are, how long since the
last alcoholic drink, how long since the last cigarette (yes,
cigarettes cause a phenomenon known as "microsleeps" which cause
largely unperceived breaks in awareness of around a seconds duration),
what drugs you're taking (many prescription drugs affect reaction
times) etc etc ad impactum. A lot of crashes are due to an individual
driving as though his reaction times were at the usual level when
they're not.

It doesn't really matter what you're reaction times are for safe
driving, what matters is driving withn their limits, whatever they
are. An old fogey with 1.5 second reactions who thinks they're 2s is
safer than a young fool with temporarily 0.75s reactions who thinks
they're still 0.4s.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

> It doesn't really matter what you're reaction times are for safe
> driving, what matters is driving withn their limits, whatever they
> are. An old fogey with 1.5 second reactions who thinks they're 2s is
> safer than a young fool with temporarily 0.75s reactions who thinks
> they're still 0.4s.

I know they're just examples but if you're planning to miss stuff by
margins of 0.5 - 0.35 of a second then you're definately going to crash.

IMHO it's more about judgement and taking account of other peoples
stupidity before they've done the stupid thing.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:30:57 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall
><[email protected]> said in

>>> Yes. For example the 70mph limit on the road that runs past where I work.

>>But it's only unacceptably high because drivers are incapable of picking
>>an appropriate speed on their own.

> As far as I can tell that's the only reason limits exist in the first
> place. And the arguments against enforcement are all based on denial
> of this fundamental fact!

And also ignore the fact that the driver is often not in the best position
to know what is an appropriate speed anyway, for example because of hidden
hazards.

--
Nobby

Patrick Herring wrote:
> I don't understand why "approximately, within a narrow band" looks the
> same to you as throwing a dice.

Because Matt B is hung up on the different units and scales used in
different countries and doesn't understand why that is a red herring.

d.

On 12 Nov 2005 12:40:35 GMT, Nobody Here <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>> As far as I can tell that's the only reason limits exist in the first
>> place. And the arguments against enforcement are all based on denial
>> of this fundamental fact!

>And also ignore the fact that the driver is often not in the best position
>to know what is an appropriate speed anyway, for example because of hidden
>hazards.

As stated before, all the benefits accrue to the driver, but much of
the risk is borne by others. Coupled with the documented fact that
most drivers overestimate their own skill, I think the case for limits
is compelling and the case for allowing drivers to ignore them is
indefensible.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:42:45 +0000, davek <[email protected]>
said in <[email protected]>:

>Because Matt B is hung up on the different units and scales used in
>different countries and doesn't understand why that is a red herring.

Nah - because MattB is a troll :)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Patrick Herring wrote:
>> I don't understand why "approximately, within a narrow band" looks the
>> same to you as throwing a dice.

> Because Matt B is hung up on the different units and scales used in
> different countries and doesn't understand why that is a red herring.

Not at all. I'm simply hilighting the randomness of the selection of the
"critical" limit. It is not scientific - what are the chances it would be
_exactly_ 30 mph? It is "plucked out of the air" as a round number in the
units which happened to be in favour in the 1930's.

Note in Ireland when they changed to metric on the roads the safe urban
speed limit also changed (it went up from 30 mph to 31.07 mph, that's how
sacrsanct they are! Why is ours not 19 or 28 mph, or eve 31.07 mph?

--
Matt B

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:42:45 +0000, davek <[email protected]>
> said in <[email protected]>:
>
>>Because Matt B is hung up on the different units and scales used in
>>different countries and doesn't understand why that is a red herring.

> Nah - because MattB is a troll :)

It may not surprise you to hear (beacause I know you cannot resist my posts)
that I a disagree.

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:
> Note in Ireland when they changed to metric on the roads the safe urban
> speed limit also changed (it went up from 30 mph to 31.07 mph, that's how
> sacrsanct they are! Why is ours not 19 or 28 mph, or eve 31.07 mph?

I guess a round number is easier to remember. A speed limit must be to
some extent abritary, as you can't take into account the ability of
every driver, braking efficiency of every vehicle or present condition
of the road surface; many people have trouble enough with the driving
test as it is...

Note also that in Ireland, overall, the speed limits have effectively
been reduced on 90%, as for Regional and Local roads the previous limit
of 60 mph has been reduced to 80 km/h, about 16% slower.

Matt B wrote:

> Not at all. I'm simply hilighting the randomness of the selection of the
> "critical" limit. It is not scientific - what are the chances it would be
> _exactly_ 30 mph? It is "plucked out of the air" as a round number in the
> units which happened to be in favour in the 1930's.

> Note in Ireland when they changed to metric on the roads the safe urban
> speed limit also changed (it went up from 30 mph to 31.07 mph, that's how
> sacrsanct they are! Why is ours not 19 or 28 mph, or eve 31.07 mph?

It is a straw man. There are a limited set of speed limits that can
legally be set. (IIRC 20mph is not one of them, or until recently
wasn't so cannot be enforced, merely reccommended). To set an
accurate[1] speed limit would not only require a change in the law [2]
but would require speed limits being set at strage values very
frequently, ie for every bend, straight, field entrance and so on.
It is safer to not over tax the motorists' brain cell[3] by confusing
them with lots of slightly variable limits, but instead to give them a
set which correspond nicely with the major markings on their speedo. So
30mph is not the accurate (see [1]) safe ([1] also applies) limit? The
next available is 40mph which is tantamount to no limit at all in a
built up area.

We need speed limits because motorists are unable to appropriately
regulate their speed where it matters most [5]. The current mechanism
may not be as finegrained as one might like in terms of
application but it is comprehensible and workable.

...d

[1] OK, try and define that in the context of varying traffic levels,
conditions and drivers
[2] possibly an amendment to regulations which would be easier.
[3] Yes that was the intended place for the apostrophe. It certainly
seems that way at times[4]
[4] OK, I drove to work this morning. Took as long as walking, and
twice as long as by bike.
[5] Where the road conditions/hazards/social context will not be
immediately obvious to an approaching driver. This is normally where
most conflicts with other road users occur.

"sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Matt B wrote:
>> Note in Ireland when they changed to metric on the roads the safe urban
>> speed limit also changed (it went up from 30 mph to 31.07 mph, that's how
>> sacrsanct they are! Why is ours not 19 or 28 mph, or eve 31.07 mph?

> I guess a round number is easier to remember. A speed limit must be to
> some extent abritary, as you can't take into account the ability of
> every driver, braking efficiency of every vehicle or present condition
> of the road surface; many people have trouble enough with the driving
> test as it is...

Exactly. This is what makes them so ludicrous. Fair enough, perhaps, in
the 1930's when they simply meant beware this is a built-up area, but today
when they are enforced "literally", with the implication that 30.01 mph is
always bad, and 30.00 mph is always good.

After all, how often do you hear of someone being done for careless, or even
dangerous driving, because of innappropriate speed, within the limit? It is
much more prevalent then "speeding" (breaking the limit) on urban roads, and
the cause of more accidents.

The limit does not discourage or stop careless or dangerous driving within
the limit (most accidents happen at speeds within the limit), in fact it
legitimizes it in the eyes of many. "I was travelling within the limit" is
often accepted as an excuse, and resolves blame in many an incident.

The only definite way to remove anti-social roadmanship, and thus improve
road safety for everyone, is by education, and by targetting the root
causes, not by knee-jerk, and certainly not by spiteful ineffective
regulation.

--
Matt B

David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is a straw man. There are a limited set of speed limits that can
> legally be set. (IIRC 20mph is not one of them, or until recently
> wasn't so cannot be enforced, merely reccommended). To set an

A new town that's been built near me (Cambourne, just west of Cambridge)
has 19mph speed limits. I don't know why - perhaps they thought unusual
limit signs would make people notice them. Are you saying they're
unenforcable, or can local bylaws make them legal ?

-adrian

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Matt B wrote:
>
>> Not at all. I'm simply hilighting the randomness of the selection of the
>> "critical" limit. It is not scientific - what are the chances it would
>> be
>> _exactly_ 30 mph? It is "plucked out of the air" as a round number in
>> the
>> units which happened to be in favour in the 1930's.

>> Note in Ireland when they changed to metric on the roads the safe urban
>> speed limit also changed (it went up from 30 mph to 31.07 mph, that's how
>> sacrsanct they are! Why is ours not 19 or 28 mph, or eve 31.07 mph?

> It is a straw man.

It is not.

> There are a limited set of speed limits that can
> legally be set.

Now that _is_ a strawman. We all know the only reason is because that is
how our legislators have set it, not for any intrinsic "good" reason.

> (IIRC 20mph is not one of them, or until recently
> wasn't so cannot be enforced, merely reccommended). To set an
> accurate[1] speed limit would not only require a change in the law [2]

1000's of changes are made every year, so that's no obstacle.

> but would require speed limits being set at strage values very
> frequently, ie for every bend, straight, field entrance and so on.

Why? Who needs limits? Where _exactly_ is 30 precisely correct? Do you
not think that motorists adust their speed other than to each posted limit
as they encounter it - sheesh.

> It is safer to not over tax the motorists' brain cell[3] by confusing
> them with lots of slightly variable limits,

Who's asking for variable limits? Does the technology exist to set them
appropriately for each vehicle/driver, for every second of every journey, in
all lighting, weather, traffic and all other environmental conditions?

> but instead to give them a
> set which correspond nicely with the major markings on their speedo.

The only reason drivers need speedos is because of speed limits.

> So
> 30mph is not the accurate (see [1]) safe ([1] also applies) limit?

Why not, rather than a "30" put a picture of houses, or people, or whatever,
to indicate a build-up area, then expect due diligence?

> The
> next available is 40mph which is tantamount to no limit at all in a
> built up area.

Sheesh.

> We need speed limits because motorists are unable to appropriately
> regulate their speed where it matters most [5].

Look around. Does everyone drive at precisely 30 mph at all times within
the 30 mph limit? Your assertion requires the answer to be "yes".

> The current mechanism
> may not be as finegrained as one might like in terms of
> application but it is comprehensible and workable.

So there are no road "accidents" in built-up areas in the entire country -
ever? If there in fact is one, even occaisionally, I would suggest that
speed limits don't work.

--

Matt B

Matt B wrote:
<snip>

> So there are no road "accidents" in built-up areas in the entire country -
> ever? If there in fact is one, even occaisionally, I would suggest that
> speed limits don't work.

You persist in your ludicrous attitude that if something isn't 100%
might as well be 0%.

While you claim you never troll, and for values of "troll" that are
limited to deliberately inflammatory statements designed purely to get a
flame war going that /may/ be the case, it remains the case that for
values of "troll" which cover congenital cluelessness and the production
of much heat and the total exclusion of *any* light, you are a prime
contender for the label.

Sheesh.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Matt B wrote:
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Matt B wrote:
> >
> >> Not at all. I'm simply hilighting the randomness of the selection of the
> >> "critical" limit. It is not scientific - what are the chances it would
> >> be
> >> _exactly_ 30 mph? It is "plucked out of the air" as a round number in
> >> the
> >> units which happened to be in favour in the 1930's.

> >> Note in Ireland when they changed to metric on the roads the safe urban
> >> speed limit also changed (it went up from 30 mph to 31.07 mph, that's how
> >> sacrsanct they are! Why is ours not 19 or 28 mph, or eve 31.07 mph?

> > It is a straw man.

> It is not.
>
> > There are a limited set of speed limits that can
> > legally be set.

> Now that _is_ a strawman. We all know the only reason is because that is
> how our legislators have set it, not for any intrinsic "good" reason.

You presuppose that there is no reasoning behind the law. That would be
a fallacy.

> > (IIRC 20mph is not one of them, or until recently
> > wasn't so cannot be enforced, merely reccommended). To set an
> > accurate[1] speed limit would not only require a change in the law [2]

> 1000's of changes are made every year, so that's no obstacle.
> > but would require speed limits being set at strage values very
> > frequently, ie for every bend, straight, field entrance and so on.

> Why? Who needs limits? Where _exactly_ is 30 precisely correct? Do you
> not think that motorists adust their speed other than to each posted limit
> as they encounter it - sheesh.

Which is somehow not as good as motorists driving as fast as they think
they can get away with? why precisely?

> > It is safer to not over tax the motorists' brain cell[3] by confusing
> > them with lots of slightly variable limits,

> Who's asking for variable limits? Does the technology exist to set them
> appropriately for each vehicle/driver, for every second of every journey, in
> all lighting, weather, traffic and all other environmental conditions?

Wrong term. Try non-standardised limits.

> > but instead to give them a
> > set which correspond nicely with the major markings on their speedo.

> The only reason drivers need speedos is because of speed limits.

Ignoring the psychological effects of becoming used to faster speeds,
whilst in a box that is advertised as being very good at isolating you
from your surroundings. Replace objective assessment with subjective
assessment. Fantastic idea .. not!

> > So
> > 30mph is not the accurate (see [1]) safe ([1] also applies) limit?

> Why not, rather than a "30" put a picture of houses, or people, or whatever,
> to indicate a build-up area, then expect due diligence?

Because it doesn't work. Motorists would overestimate their ability,
underestimate the danger and inconvenience they pose, and prosecuting
the not particularly dilligent would be very hard. There would be no
penalty for getting away with not paying due dilligence.

> > The
> > next available is 40mph which is tantamount to no limit at all in a
> > built up area.

> Sheesh.

> > We need speed limits because motorists are unable to appropriately
> > regulate their speed where it matters most [5].

> Look around. Does everyone drive at precisely 30 mph at all times within
> the 30 mph limit? Your assertion requires the answer to be "yes".

Your logic seems flawed. Why does providing a maximum also imply a
minimum? (it doesn't). It is perfectly possible for a safe and
competent driver to choose to drive well below the posted speed limit,
where that limit is too high for the circumstances.

As it is, most motorists will drive at the limit (approximately), not
becasue the limit itself is to high but their perception of what is an
appropriate speed for the conditions is too high.

> > The current mechanism
> > may not be as finegrained as one might like in terms of
> > application but it is comprehensible and workable.

> So there are no road "accidents" in built-up areas in the entire country -
> ever? If there in fact is one, even occaisionally, I would suggest that
> speed limits don't work.

In order to support that outlandish assertion, you would have to argue
that all accidents are solely the cause of travelling at speeds above
the posted limit. That is clearly not the case. What one can clearly
show is that risk is related to speed, and that providing a cap on
speed places a cap on risk. Slowing speeds from 35 to 30 in built up
areas (ie to the limit rather than +10%+2) resulted in a dramatic
reduction in accidents in tests of speed limiters in Sweden.

Reducing speeds reduces accidents. It doesn't remove all accidents, but
no-one claimed it did.

Your argument is a bit like the fallacy of generalisation.

'My cat is black'
'Your cat can't be black becasue not all cats are black'

...d