The state of non-marriage

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Rafiki, May 14, 2005.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

IT is amazing that in a multicultural world that some nations have such restrictive and primitive practices that they cannot allow adults who behave responsibly and harm no others to coexist. Please follow the link below

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1483852,00.html

In the UK we once could justify marriage for tax benefits... but that is no longer the case. I suppose convienice, love or tradition are the motives these days.
    It certainly shouldn't be an issue of the state decreeing morality.

Tags:

2. Eden

Eden New Member

I hear you. My husband and I used to live in a county in upstate NY where we could have been prosecuted for co-habiting if someone had so desired. Obviously we did eventually marry and we never were thrown in jail, but at that time it was actually more to our advantage to not marry - mostly to remain dependants of our parents while we were in college, still being covered under their insurance, things like that. Fortunately most people are reasonable, unfortunately the wakko ones get most of the attention.

To your second point about marriage being mostly about tradition etc. Straight people rarely have to think about it but, I have a gay co-worker who has pointed out to me some extremely good legal reasons- at least in the US- for being able to marry. If you are not married you don't have the right to:
    * Make decsisions for a hospitalized partner or even visit if the "family" decides to disclude you
    * inherit property from a partner if the family challenges the will
    * receive benefits like health insurance from a partners employer
    * receive the social security benefits of a deceased partner
    * have automatic custody of a child from your partner if the partner dies
    and I'm sure a million other things that as a straight married person I just take for granted. So I agree, time to end restrictive and primitive practices and let people live with and marry whom they wish as it is no ones business but their own anyway.

3. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

I lived with my wife for 8 years before sho coerced me in to marrage on the grounds that the school district where she was employed viewed co-habitation as moral turpitude. Those 8 years were the best part of our 30 year relationship, and I have had 22 years to regret giving in. All because of some damn school district!