The stench of Vitamin B-2...

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Guest
How do you deal with it?
I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...

I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
makes your pee so bright.

And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.

It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(

Any ideas?
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:35:40 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How do you deal with it?
>I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
>
>I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
>smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
>makes your pee so bright.
>
>And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
>
>It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
>That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
>make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
>
>Any ideas?

While I'm not particularly bothered by the smell of B vitamins, you
might look around to see if you can find some coated versions (enteric
or otherwise). I did a quick google on "enteric coated B vitamins"
and didn't spot any, but perhaps different search terms might find
something. Or perhaps you can find something that would let you make
your own coating. Briefly dip them in parafin? Use PAM vegetable
spray? A sugar solution to make a "candy coating" like M&Ms? I
sometimes take Valerian to help me fall sleep, and Valerian has a
strong odor. I once found a coated version, and it reduced the odor
about 98%. Hmmmm... depending on the size and shape, you might be
able to "double-bag" them. If they are capsules or tablets (i.e. not
round pills) you can find empty gelatin capsules at many health food
stores. Get a larger size than your pills and put your pills inside.
A bit tedious, perhaps, but with symptoms as great as you say it might
well be worth it to you.

Maybe all you need is better ventilation. The vitamin bottle keeps
the smell in from all 100 (or however many) tablets so it's very
concentrated (and may have been building up for months on the shelf).
Depending on climate, putting them in an open mesh container somewhere
in the shade outside (or in a garage?) ought to let most of the smell
dissipate.

Another approach - a lower temperature. The warmer things are, the
more odor. Try putting them in the fridge, or even the freezer.

Try these in combination if you like. First let the pills air out
outside, then spray them with PAM, pop them into gelatin capsules and
freeze them. I bet that would really cut down on the odor.

<[email protected]> wrote:

|How do you deal with it?
|I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
|
|I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
|smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
|makes your pee so bright.
|
|And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
|
|It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
|That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
|make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
|
|Any ideas?

I have no problem with my B -complex, but have a similar aversion to
the garlic tablets I take twice daily for lowering cholesterol and
triglycerides. Damn, those things are nasty! They always stick in
the back of my mouth or throat; I gag on them almost every day then
drink about 3 glasses of water trying to wash them all the way down.
All I can say Om, is do what I do ... if you really want the benefits,
butch up and just do it!

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:42:41 -0500, Marengo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have no problem with my B -complex, but have a similar aversion to
>the garlic tablets I take twice daily for lowering cholesterol and
>triglycerides. Damn, those things are nasty! They always stick in
>the back of my mouth or throat; I gag on them almost every day then
>drink about 3 glasses of water trying to wash them all the way down.
>All I can say Om, is do what I do ... if you really want the benefits,
>butch up and just do it!

There are a lot of odorless garlic tablets available on the market.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> How do you deal with it?
> I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
>
> I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
> smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
> makes your pee so bright.
>
> And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
>
> It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
> That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
> make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
>
> Any ideas?

Do what I do and don't take it! I have exactly the same reaction, and
can't even take a multivitamin that contains B.

Tara

says...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > How do you deal with it?
> > I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
> >
> > I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
> > smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
> > makes your pee so bright.
> >
> > And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
> >
> > It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
> > That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
> > make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
> >
> > Any ideas?

> Do what I do and don't take it! I have exactly the same reaction, and
> can't even take a multivitamin that contains B.

This is interesting. I started having some big problems with vitamins
over the last 2-3 years, sometimes vomiting after taking them. It got
to the point where I stopped taking them at all because I couldn't seem
to pin down what was causing the problem. I never USED to get nauseous
from taking vitamins. I've been slowly starting to take them again,
always being VERY careful to take them on a FULL stomach, but I'm taking
a different kind now. I DID start to take an extra B-vitamin somewhere
along the line. Maybe I was ODing on it or developed an intolerance for
it. I'll have to experiment with it to see if there is a connection.

--
Saffire
205/136/125

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Harold Groot) wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:35:40 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How do you deal with it?
> >I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
> >
> >I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
> >smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
> >makes your pee so bright.
> >
> >And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
> >
> >It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
> >That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
> >make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
> >
> >Any ideas?

> While I'm not particularly bothered by the smell of B vitamins, you
> might look around to see if you can find some coated versions (enteric
> or otherwise). I did a quick google on "enteric coated B vitamins"
> and didn't spot any, but perhaps different search terms might find
> something. Or perhaps you can find something that would let you make
> your own coating. Briefly dip them in parafin? Use PAM vegetable
> spray? A sugar solution to make a "candy coating" like M&Ms? I
> sometimes take Valerian to help me fall sleep, and Valerian has a
> strong odor. I once found a coated version, and it reduced the odor
> about 98%. Hmmmm... depending on the size and shape, you might be
> able to "double-bag" them. If they are capsules or tablets (i.e. not
> round pills) you can find empty gelatin capsules at many health food
> stores. Get a larger size than your pills and put your pills inside.
> A bit tedious, perhaps, but with symptoms as great as you say it might
> well be worth it to you.
>
> Maybe all you need is better ventilation. The vitamin bottle keeps
> the smell in from all 100 (or however many) tablets so it's very
> concentrated (and may have been building up for months on the shelf).
> Depending on climate, putting them in an open mesh container somewhere
> in the shade outside (or in a garage?) ought to let most of the smell
> dissipate.
>
> Another approach - a lower temperature. The warmer things are, the
> more odor. Try putting them in the fridge, or even the freezer.
>
> Try these in combination if you like. First let the pills air out
> outside, then spray them with PAM, pop them into gelatin capsules and
> freeze them. I bet that would really cut down on the odor.

My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
than they do for catnip!

I've refrigerated fish oil capsules with success so that's a very good
idea with these too.

Thanks for the suggestion!
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Marengo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:35:40 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> |How do you deal with it?
> |I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
> |
> |I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
> |smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
> |makes your pee so bright.
> |
> |And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
> |
> |It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
> |That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
> |make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
> |
> |Any ideas?
>
> I have no problem with my B -complex, but have a similar aversion to
> the garlic tablets I take twice daily for lowering cholesterol and
> triglycerides. Damn, those things are nasty! They always stick in
> the back of my mouth or throat; I gag on them almost every day then
> drink about 3 glasses of water trying to wash them all the way down.
> All I can say Om, is do what I do ... if you really want the benefits,
> butch up and just do it!

That's exactly what I have been doing..... ;-)
I was hoping for some other ideas!
I've noted that my astigmatism (sp?) improves when I take it more
regularly. I can see better in other words. I may not like it but it is
worth the effort. <sigh>

As for garlic, I just cook with a lot of fresh garlic. <G>
I don't take it in pill form.

The garlic press I discovered in my Aunt's things has been a wonderful
tool! And My Thanh has beautiful heads of garlic with monster cloves for
$1.49 per lb. I can get 5 heads for 75 cents.

I tend to use an entire head of garlic in many recipes along with fresh
ginger root.
--

Tara <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > How do you deal with it?
> > I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
> >
> > I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
> > smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
> > makes your pee so bright.
> >
> > And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
> >
> > It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
> > That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
> > make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
> >
> > Any ideas?

> Do what I do and don't take it! I have exactly the same reaction, and
> can't even take a multivitamin that contains B.
>
> Tara

It does too much for me... Without it, my eyesight deteriorates and
after a couple of months, I start getting anemic.

B-complex is SO very necessary! The natural source is red meat but I
can't eat beef every day. Too expensive and I don't want to get bored
with it.

I just deal with the distaste for now, was just looking for ideas. :)

I'm going to try refrigerating it. I keep my vitamin basket right next
to the computer to remind me to take stuff daily, and the basket also
has my Rx's. Thyrolar and Metformin, and Adderall.
--

Saffire <[email protected]> wrote:

> says...
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > > How do you deal with it?
> > > I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
> > >
> > > I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still the
> > > smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
> > > makes your pee so bright.
> > >
> > > And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
> > >
> > > It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
> > > That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
> > > make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
> > >
> > > Any ideas?

> > Do what I do and don't take it! I have exactly the same reaction, and
> > can't even take a multivitamin that contains B.

> This is interesting. I started having some big problems with vitamins
> over the last 2-3 years, sometimes vomiting after taking them. It got
> to the point where I stopped taking them at all because I couldn't seem
> to pin down what was causing the problem. I never USED to get nauseous
> from taking vitamins. I've been slowly starting to take them again,
> always being VERY careful to take them on a FULL stomach, but I'm taking
> a different kind now. I DID start to take an extra B-vitamin somewhere
> along the line. Maybe I was ODing on it or developed an intolerance for
> it. I'll have to experiment with it to see if there is a connection.

Might be. I did not used to have that big of a problem with B-2. It's
gotten worse over time. I'm not sure why!

I've taken B-complex for many years and am no longer chronically anemic
as a result. This issue is a fairly recent development.

I did quit taking them for awhile and my Hematocrit level dropped from
45% back down to 37% which is slightle below normal range. It took about
2 months. My mean cell volume dropped from 102 to 95 when I started
taking it again. B vitamin deficiency (mainly B-12) can cause a
macrocytic anemia.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Is there a cure for your hypochondria?

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tara <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> > How do you deal with it?
>> > I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
>> >
>> > I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and still
>> > the
>> > smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The stuff that
>> > makes your pee so bright.
>> >
>> > And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to vomit.
>> >
>> > It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
>> > That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now. Used to
>> > make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

>> Do what I do and don't take it! I have exactly the same reaction, and
>> can't even take a multivitamin that contains B.
>>
>> Tara

> It does too much for me... Without it, my eyesight deteriorates and
> after a couple of months, I start getting anemic.
>
> B-complex is SO very necessary! The natural source is red meat but I
> can't eat beef every day. Too expensive and I don't want to get bored
> with it.
>
> I just deal with the distaste for now, was just looking for ideas. :)
>
> I'm going to try refrigerating it. I keep my vitamin basket right next
> to the computer to remind me to take stuff daily, and the basket also
> has my Rx's. Thyrolar and Metformin, and Adderall.
> --
> Peace, Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack
> Nicholson

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:32:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
>than they do for catnip!

I've heard that many cats like it - but my own cat was completely
uninterested in it. Tastes and reactions vary, just like in humans.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Harold Groot) wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:32:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
> >than they do for catnip!

> I've heard that many cats like it - but my own cat was completely
> uninterested in it. Tastes and reactions vary, just like in humans.

Yes.

Same goes for catnip.

Try a live mouse. ;-)

Or a laser pointer......
--

<[email protected]> wrote:

|My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
|than they do for catnip!

I know it's OT now, but my cat has the strangest craving. He goes
crazy over Altoids! He acts just like many cats do with catnip; he
plays with it, rolls on it and in general gets stupid. Go figure. I
keep a tin of Altoids on hand and break a piece off once in a while as
a treat for him.

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:10:23 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

|In article <[email protected]>,
| [email protected] (Harold Groot) wrote:
|
|> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:32:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
|> <[email protected]> wrote:
|>
|> >My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
|> >than they do for catnip!

|Or a laser pointer......

Ah, a laser pointer-- Yoda's favorite plaything!

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:39:17 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

|I'm going to try refrigerating it. I keep my vitamin basket right next
|to the computer to remind me to take stuff daily, and the basket also
|has my Rx's. Thyrolar and Metformin, and Adderall.

Do you have adult ADD? Just curious; my three nephews all take
Adderall, there's genetic hyperactivity on the male side of that
family.

In article <[email protected]>,
Marengo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:32:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> |My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
> |than they do for catnip!
>
> I know it's OT now, but my cat has the strangest craving. He goes
> crazy over Altoids! He acts just like many cats do with catnip; he
> plays with it, rolls on it and in general gets stupid. Go figure. I
> keep a tin of Altoids on hand and break a piece off once in a while as
> a treat for him.

That's interesting!

Which flavor? Peppermint or Cinnamon?
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Marengo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:10:23 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> |In article <[email protected]>,
> | [email protected] (Harold Groot) wrote:

> |Or a laser pointer......
>
> Ah, a laser pointer-- Yoda's favorite plaything!

I understand.... ;-)

The laughter laser pointers cause with cats is good for the abs. <G>
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Marengo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:39:17 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> |I'm going to try refrigerating it. I keep my vitamin basket right next
> |to the computer to remind me to take stuff daily, and the basket also
> |has my Rx's. Thyrolar and Metformin, and Adderall.
>
> Do you have adult ADD? Just curious; my three nephews all take
> Adderall, there's genetic hyperactivity on the male side of that
> family.

Actually, it was prescribed for mild Narcolepsy...

but it has helped my job performance a LOT so I can't help but wonder.
;-)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:24:16 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

|In article <[email protected]>,
| Marengo <[email protected]> wrote:
|
|> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:32:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
|> <[email protected]> wrote:

|> |
|> |My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
|> |than they do for catnip!
|>
|> I know it's OT now, but my cat has the strangest craving. He goes
|> crazy over Altoids! He acts just like many cats do with catnip; he
|> plays with it, rolls on it and in general gets stupid. Go figure. I
|> keep a tin of Altoids on hand and break a piece off once in a while as
|> a treat for him.
|
|That's interesting!
|
|Which flavor? Peppermint or Cinnamon?

Peppermint only. He's so bonkers over Altoids that when he hears the
lid open on the tin he reacts like most cats do to the sound of a can
opener; he comes running, winds around my feet and meows! I told his
vet about this, and she had never heard of this before!

Maybe my cat's a carb addict?!