The stench of Vitamin B-2...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by OmManiPadmeOmelet, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    :: In article <[email protected]>,
    :: Tara <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    :::: How do you deal with it?
    :::: I know I need to supplement B-complex but damn...
    ::::
    :::: I have to hold the vitamin bottle as far away as possible, and
    :::: still the smell makes me gag. It's the B-2 in it that does it. The
    :::: stuff that makes your pee so bright.
    ::::
    :::: And then when I hold my breath and pop the pill, I still want to
    :::: vomit.
    ::::
    :::: It makes me nauseous so I take it right before I go to sleep.
    :::: That way I sleep thru the induced nausea and keep it down now.
    :::: Used to make me toss my cookies which made it kinda pointless. :-(
    ::::
    :::: Any ideas?
    :::
    :::
    ::: Do what I do and don't take it! I have exactly the same reaction,
    ::: and can't even take a multivitamin that contains B.
    :::
    ::: Tara
    ::
    :: It does too much for me... Without it, my eyesight deteriorates and
    :: after a couple of months, I start getting anemic.
    ::
    :: B-complex is SO very necessary! The natural source is red meat but I
    :: can't eat beef every day. Too expensive and I don't want to get bored
    :: with it.
    ::
    :: I just deal with the distaste for now, was just looking for ideas.
    :: :)
    ::

    What if you were to grind them up and add that to some other food, sort of
    like an ingredient in a flax/protein/nut breakfast meal? Would you still
    get that "ick" feeling?

    :: I'm going to try refrigerating it. I keep my vitamin basket right
    :: next
    :: to the computer to remind me to take stuff daily, and the basket also
    :: has my Rx's. Thyrolar and Metformin, and Adderall.
    :: --
    :: Peace, Om.
    ::
    :: "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch."
    :: -Jack Nicholson

  2. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Makes sense, catnip is a member of the mint family so I'm sure there is a
    similarity in the smell.

    As I mentioned before, one of my cats loves pork rinds.

    In news:[email protected],
    Marengo <[email protected]> stated

    | I know it's OT now, but my cat has the strangest craving. He goes
    | crazy over Altoids! He acts just like many cats do with catnip; he
    | plays with it, rolls on it and in general gets stupid. Go figure. I
    | keep a tin of Altoids on hand and break a piece off once in a while as
    | a treat for him.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Marengo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:24:16 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > |In article <[email protected]>,
    > | Marengo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > |
    > |> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:32:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > |> <[email protected]> wrote:
    > |>

    > |> |

    > |> I know it's OT now, but my cat has the strangest craving. He goes
    > |> crazy over Altoids! He acts just like many cats do with catnip; he
    > |> plays with it, rolls on it and in general gets stupid. Go figure. I
    > |> keep a tin of Altoids on hand and break a piece off once in a while as
    > |> a treat for him.
    > |
    > |That's interesting!
    > |
    > |Which flavor? Peppermint or Cinnamon?
    >
    > Peppermint only. He's so bonkers over Altoids that when he hears the
    > lid open on the tin he reacts like most cats do to the sound of a can
    > opener; he comes running, winds around my feet and meows! I told his
    > vet about this, and she had never heard of this before!
    >
    > Maybe my cat's a carb addict?!

    Nah. ;-)

    Catnip is a member of the mint family.
    Maybe it stimulates the same brain center for him?
    --
    Peace, Om.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What if you were to grind them up and add that to some other food, sort of
    > like an ingredient in a flax/protein/nut breakfast meal? Would you still
    > get that "ick" feeling?

    The smell of B-2 is pretty strong so it's hard to say, but that is an
    idea... Sense of smell is genetic. Something I learned on
    rec.food.cooking!

    I also had not considered looking for it in liquid form. Many vitamins
    come that way. I'd just have to read the dosage/concentration.

    It's also available by prescription in an injectible form.

    That's only if I get desperate. <G>
    --
    Peace, Om.

  5. Harold Groot

    Harold Groot Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:10:23 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Harold Groot) wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:32:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
    >> >than they do for catnip!

    >> I've heard that many cats like it - but my own cat was completely
    >> uninterested in it. Tastes and reactions vary, just like in humans.
    >>

    >Yes.
    >
    >Same goes for catnip.
    >
    >Try a live mouse. ;-)
    >
    >Or a laser pointer......
    >--
    >Peace, Om.

    The laser pointer was a good toy when she was younger. Mine was
    especially effective because you had the option to bounce the beam off
    an uneven reflector that was moving, thus creating squiggles instead
    of a single dot. Unfortunately, that laser died and I haven't seen a
    similar one for sale, so I'm back to the single dot, which she never
    found as interesting. She likes catnip, but again, not nearly as much
    as when she was younger. And she hasn't brought me a mouse in about 5
    years.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Harold Groot) wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:10:23 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] (Harold Groot) wrote:

    > >> I've heard that many cats like it - but my own cat was completely
    > >> uninterested in it. Tastes and reactions vary, just like in humans.
    > >>

    > >Yes.
    > >
    > >Same goes for catnip.
    > >
    > >Try a live mouse. ;-)
    > >
    > >Or a laser pointer......
    > >--
    > >Peace, Om.

    > The laser pointer was a good toy when she was younger. Mine was
    > especially effective because you had the option to bounce the beam off
    > an uneven reflector that was moving, thus creating squiggles instead
    > of a single dot. Unfortunately, that laser died and I haven't seen a
    > similar one for sale, so I'm back to the single dot, which she never
    > found as interesting. She likes catnip, but again, not nearly as much
    > as when she was younger. And she hasn't brought me a mouse in about 5
    > years.

    There is always string.......
    --
    Peace, Om.

  7. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    :: In article <[email protected]>,
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: What if you were to grind them up and add that to some other food,
    ::: sort of like an ingredient in a flax/protein/nut breakfast meal?
    ::: Would you still get that "ick" feeling?
    ::
    :: The smell of B-2 is pretty strong so it's hard to say, but that is an
    :: idea... Sense of smell is genetic. Something I learned on
    :: rec.food.cooking!

    Maybe you can get someone to grind it for you, to powder form.

    ::
    :: I also had not considered looking for it in liquid form. Many
    :: vitamins
    :: come that way. I'd just have to read the dosage/concentration.
    ::
    :: It's also available by prescription in an injectible form.
    ::
    :: That's only if I get desperate. <G>
    :: --
    :: Peace, Om.
    ::
    :: "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch."
    :: -Jack Nicholson

  8. Are you b vitamins in tablet or capsule form? I take a b complex made
    by solaray that is in capsule form. I don't really notice a strong
    smell with them. But i'm also on other vitamins (homeopathic stuff)
    and i might be used to it.
    Here is a site that carries them

    http://www.affordablesolaray.com/b_vitamins.html

  9. Marengo wrote:

    > Do you have adult ADD? Just curious; my three nephews all take
    > Adderall, there's genetic hyperactivity on the male side of that
    > family.

    One simple test for it - Caffeine makes non-ADD folks jittery,
    relaxes most ADD folks. If a cup of coffee relaxes you and
    helps you focus rahter than turning up the pace, that's a
    sign you might be somewhat ADD.

  10. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > Harold Groot wrote:
    > > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > > >My cats love the smell of valerian root. ;-) They go more bonkers for it
    > > >than they do for catnip!

    > > I've heard that many cats like it - but my own cat was completely
    > > uninterested in it. Tastes and reactions vary, just like in humans.

    > Or a laser pointer......

    Some dogs love playing with a laser pointer, some don't, same as cats.
    Having a 150 pound doberman leaping into the air and bouncing on a
    spot on the carpet while playing flashlight makes an amusing sound
    when you're a floor below listening through the ceiling.

    On tablets - I've gotten coated tablets lately. I was never bothered
    by the smell but the coating makes me not smell it at all.

    The one I get is indigestion from zinc supplements. I can only take
    zinc with food.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Harold Groot wrote:

    > > > I've heard that many cats like it - but my own cat was completely
    > > > uninterested in it. Tastes and reactions vary, just like in humans.

    > > Or a laser pointer......

    > Some dogs love playing with a laser pointer, some don't, same as cats.
    > Having a 150 pound doberman leaping into the air and bouncing on a
    > spot on the carpet while playing flashlight makes an amusing sound
    > when you're a floor below listening through the ceiling.

    I can imagine. ;-)

    > On tablets - I've gotten coated tablets lately. I was never bothered
    > by the smell but the coating makes me not smell it at all.

    I'll have to look for that, thanks!

    > The one I get is indigestion from zinc supplements. I can only take
    > zinc with food.

    I don't take zinc by itself. It comes in both my multi-mineral and my
    trace mineral tablets.

    --
    Peace, Om.

  12. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    On 27 Mar 2006 13:33:04 -0800, "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Marengo wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you have adult ADD? Just curious; my three nephews all take
    >> Adderall, there's genetic hyperactivity on the male side of that
    >> family.

    >One simple test for it - Caffeine makes non-ADD folks jittery,
    >relaxes most ADD folks. If a cup of coffee relaxes you and
    >helps you focus rahter than turning up the pace, that's a
    >sign you might be somewhat ADD.

    Well, this is a fairly common phenomenon in ADDers. But *definitely*
    not reliable enough to use as any kind of test.

    When I was drinking more coffee, this was true for me. Now that I've
    cut way back - to one mug in the morning - excess caffeine can cause
    some sleep disturbance and jitteriness. Whereas, in a more caffeinated
    period of my life, I could wake up in the middle of the night and have
    a cup of coffee to help me get back to sleep.

    Also, I know that not all folks with ADD, even fairly severe cases,
    are ever affected this way by coffee. YMMV.

    HG

  13. Hannah Gruen wrote:
    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > > Marengo wrote:

    > >> Do you have adult ADD?

    > >One simple test for it - Caffeine makes non-ADD folks jittery,
    > >relaxes most ADD folks. If a cup of coffee relaxes you and
    > >helps you focus rahter than turning up the pace, that's a
    > >sign you might be somewhat ADD.

    > Well, this is a fairly common phenomenon in ADDers. But *definitely*
    > not reliable enough to use as any kind of test.

    It's not a reliable test, but it is cheap and easy. If you've never
    considered that you might have mild ADD it's a test that can
    help you increase or decrease your suspicion of it. Not great,
    but the price-performance ratio is good even if the absolute
    performance isn't.

  14. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    >
    > > On tablets - I've gotten coated tablets lately. I was never bothered
    > > by the smell but the coating makes me not smell it at all.

    > I'll have to look for that, thanks!

    For my multis, when I run out I look for generics labelled something
    like "Compare with Theragram-M" or anything similar that suggests
    they target well above Centrum. My current bottle is from Costco.

    > > The one I get is indigestion from zinc supplements. I can only take
    > > zinc with food.

    > I don't take zinc by itself. It comes in both my multi-mineral and my
    > trace mineral tablets.

    My dad had prostate surgery in his 50s. I'm in my 40s. I want to head
    that one off at the pass if I can. I've read that B6 plus extra zinc
    tends
    to prevent prostate growth. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of
    cure. If I can avoid prostate surgery it will have been worth taking
    the
    extra pills and occasional mild short indigestion.

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > >
    > > > On tablets - I've gotten coated tablets lately. I was never bothered
    > > > by the smell but the coating makes me not smell it at all.

    > > I'll have to look for that, thanks!

    > For my multis, when I run out I look for generics labelled something
    > like "Compare with Theragram-M" or anything similar that suggests
    > they target well above Centrum. My current bottle is from Costco.
    >
    > > > The one I get is indigestion from zinc supplements. I can only take
    > > > zinc with food.

    > > I don't take zinc by itself. It comes in both my multi-mineral and my
    > > trace mineral tablets.

    > My dad had prostate surgery in his 50s. I'm in my 40s. I want to head
    > that one off at the pass if I can. I've read that B6 plus extra zinc
    > tends
    > to prevent prostate growth. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of
    > cure. If I can avoid prostate surgery it will have been worth taking
    > the
    > extra pills and occasional mild short indigestion.

    Ok, I'm not trying to be tacky, but regular sex or masturbation (twice
    per week) is also supposed to make a major difference. I've read about
    statistical research in that direction.

    I'm sure it can be googled.

    If you think about it, it makes sense. Your testicles are constantly
    producing sperm that then moves eventually into the prostate. If it's
    not ejected, where is it going to go????

    Saw Palmetto supplementation has also shown some good effects.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  16. Harold Groot

    Harold Groot Guest

    On 28 Mar 2006 07:00:51 -0800, "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hannah Gruen wrote:
    >> Doug Freyburger wrote:

    >> >One simple test for it - Caffeine makes non-ADD folks jittery,
    >> >relaxes most ADD folks. If a cup of coffee relaxes you and
    >> >helps you focus rahter than turning up the pace, that's a
    >> >sign you might be somewhat ADD.

    >> Well, this is a fairly common phenomenon in ADDers. But *definitely*
    >> not reliable enough to use as any kind of test.

    >It's not a reliable test, but it is cheap and easy. If you've never
    >considered that you might have mild ADD it's a test that can
    >help you increase or decrease your suspicion of it. Not great,
    >but the price-performance ratio is good even if the absolute
    >performance isn't.

    One should also be aware of other factors such as sugar when "testing"
    with caffeine. I know people who get raised blood glucose followed by
    a rush of insulin and then a "crash" of low blood sugar from drinking
    a can of soda. Here in a lowcarb support group there are probably
    many who are like that. So if they decide to test for caffeine by
    having a can of regular coke, the effects of the sugar could throw
    things off. They'll need to take the caffeine "straight", i.e. a diet
    coke, coffee with no sugar, No-Doz or Vivarin or other caffeine pills,
    etc.

  17. Harold Groot wrote:
    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > >Hannah Gruen wrote:

    > >> Well, this is a fairly common phenomenon in ADDers. But *definitely*
    > >> not reliable enough to use as any kind of test.

    > >It's not a reliable test, but it is cheap and easy.

    > One should also be aware of other factors such as sugar when "testing"
    > with caffeine. I know people who get raised blood glucose followed by
    > a rush of insulin and then a "crash" of low blood sugar from drinking
    > a can of soda. Here in a lowcarb support group there are probably
    > many who are like that. So if they decide to test for caffeine by
    > having a can of regular coke, the effects of the sugar could throw
    > things off. They'll need to take the caffeine "straight", i.e. a diet
    > coke, coffee with no sugar, No-Doz or Vivarin or other caffeine pills,
    > etc.

    Thanks for pointing that out. I drink my coffee black but I watch
    others take their caffeine in other forms.

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Harold Groot wrote:
    > > Doug Freyburger wrote:

    > > >It's not a reliable test, but it is cheap and easy.

    > > One should also be aware of other factors such as sugar when "testing"
    > > with caffeine. I know people who get raised blood glucose followed by
    > > a rush of insulin and then a "crash" of low blood sugar from drinking
    > > a can of soda. Here in a lowcarb support group there are probably
    > > many who are like that. So if they decide to test for caffeine by
    > > having a can of regular coke, the effects of the sugar could throw
    > > things off. They'll need to take the caffeine "straight", i.e. a diet
    > > coke, coffee with no sugar, No-Doz or Vivarin or other caffeine pills,
    > > etc.

    > Thanks for pointing that out. I drink my coffee black but I watch
    > others take their caffeine in other forms.

    I take Adderall for two reasons.
    It's an excellent appetite suppressant and energizer,
    and it treats mild narcolepsy...

    I'd never thought about the latter problem, but it made sense when she
    diagnosed it.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  19. You're correct, it's B-2 (aka Riboflavin) that turns your urine bright
    yellow. I know that some B complex use brewer's yeast and some don't.
    That may be what you're sensitive to. Try a yeast free formula that's
    in capsules, not "caplets". Actually, for optimal absorption, you
    should take most vitamins with meals, since that's when your body is
    digesting and absorbing nutrients.

  20. In article <[email protected]>,

    > You're correct, it's B-2 (aka Riboflavin) that turns your urine bright
    > yellow. I know that some B complex use brewer's yeast and some don't.
    > That may be what you're sensitive to. Try a yeast free formula that's
    > in capsules, not "caplets". Actually, for optimal absorption, you
    > should take most vitamins with meals, since that's when your body is
    > digesting and absorbing nutrients.

    I take them right after meals, and it's a caplet.

    It's "Solgar" brand which is the one that a Holistic MD recommended...
    and it's the one multi' I've found that is highest in B-complex.

    What brand would you suggest other than those crap generic type grocery
    store brands like Centrum etc.???????
    --
    Peace, Om.