the strangest thing you've seen on a ride

Cyclist14

Oct 13, 2004
I have seen plenty of strange things, especially today. I was riding on a one-lane road out by my house and there were about three cars behind me. I took an upcoming corner and I saw a woman walking almost in the middle of the road towards oncoming traffic:eek: . I turned quickly to avoid her and the cars behind me had to completely stop to avoid hitting her.

I have also had several "encounters" with squirrels. I was riding down a quiet road and suddenly a squirrel darted out in front of me and I am sure its tail touched my front tire. The squirrel ran to the side of the road and looked at me. Sometimes I think the squirrels have a death wish.:confused:

Cyclist14 said:
I have seen plenty of strange things, especially today. I was riding on a one-lane road out by my house and there were about three cars behind me. I took an upcoming corner and I saw a woman walking almost in the middle of the road towards oncoming traffic:eek: . I turned quickly to avoid her and the cars behind me had to completely stop to avoid hitting her.

I have also had several "encounters" with squirrels. I was riding down a quiet road and suddenly a squirrel darted out in front of me and I am sure its tail touched my front tire. The squirrel ran to the side of the road and looked at me. Sometimes I think the squirrels have a death wish.:confused:

The strangest thing i've seen has to be the very, very ugly naked guy on a bike, followed by his friend, also naked, on Inline skates.

Saw a western diamondback on the bosque trail along the Rio Grande a few weekends ago. Riding towards it I thought it was any old snake and planned to ride around it as there was a gravelly area, but thought twice b/c I've commonly picked up goatheads and had to patch slow leaks doing that.

So I stopped and waited for the bugger to cross the trail. At which point I noticed 1, how big this snake was, 2, the rattle, and 3, that I was a bit closer than I wanted to be.

A cow walking down the path. She'd gotten out from a farm and onto the walking/cycling path. It caused quite a sensation ;)

I was forced to come to almost a complete standstill for 10-15 seconds in the Irish national time-trial (under 16) in September...still got home third tho :) .

That was my weirdest race experience, out training the strangest hapenning was when I (unfortunately) saw a little dog getting hit by a car.

im from connecticut but i go to school in philadelphia. we have plenty of squirels in CT but the other day i almost hit a black one. never seen a black one before then, scared me a bit. btw is that bad luck?

pk273340 said:
im from connecticut but i go to school in philadelphia. we have plenty of squirels in CT but the other day i almost hit a black one. never seen a black one before then, scared me a bit. btw is that bad luck?
this past saturday, i was biking on a small country road. coming to the summit of small hill, a combine came over the crest with the jaws covering the entire road. i stopped, moved to the shoulder, then decided to climb the bank into the soy bean field. you bet i was getting the @*#! out of the way.

I have seen topless women 2 times while mountain biking. One was a friend with fakes ones. I was way up ahead and waiting for the group, sitting on a rock and she just rolled into view. :) I guess she got hot.....

Strangest thing i have ever seen was a Range Rover in the middle of the forest and a couple in the back...errrrmm family forum and all that....lets just say they were up to no good!

g'day,

During the short days of winterI train (i'm a racer) at the local airport...theres a road that runs around past the maintenance base to the control tower. it's quite isolates, with very little traffic & no traffice lights or stop signs...its about an 8km loop, so we just ride round & round. the cyclists share it with other people wanting seclusion, druggies, lovers & to a lesser extent the 'plane spotters'. Generally its live & let live, none of the groups really worry the other, we all just go about our business.......anyway, one night we were crusing around ...past the druggies fave spot, the usual cloud of marijuana smoke coming from the cars parked there....when all of a sudden, about 4 cop cars roar up, lights & sirens going...druggies 'bolting' in all directions, spotlights etc......geez it was funny...anyway, around the other side of our circuit, this slightly bedraggled bloke appears out of the bushes & waves us down.....he's one of the druggies thats done a 'bolt'....he offers us this handful of 'hundreds' from his pocket to buy one of our bikes, (presumably to make his escape on!), I politley declined, but my mate who was on an ancient dept store P.O.S, (his 'good' bike was being serviced)...took him up on it & sold him the bike for what turned out to be $650......the guy pedals off into the gloom rather shakily while me & my mate p!ss ourselves laughing......the bike had cost him $100, 10 years previously!......with the proceeds , my mate got some new wheels.....this was 3 years ago......We all train out there now on our POS bikes in anticipation of a repeat performance...so far no dice!

Hitchy

Cyclist14 said:

My regular route included frequent crossed paths with a "madwomen" jogger who would rant into a cell phone while running, yodeling crazed epithets. After time she came to recognize me as one of the "regulars" and would often hoot "Good mourrrrrrrrning." She no longer recognized me when I got a different colored bike. What a loss!

Cyclist14 said:

I've had the same thing happen to me. For me, squirrels are a bigger hazard than cars.

Cyclist14 said:
I once almost nailed a rather large snapping turtle (the shell was about a foot across) on a fast downhill. There are a lot of them on the roads here in the spring because they lay eggs in the drainage ditches. Not as fast as squirrles, but probably a lot worse to hit.

1.A gruop of guys going about 11mph in a flat, windless stretch...all wearing postal kits and the leader wearing yellow.

2.Drunk kids sleeping in their cars- I see at least one a weekend (hell- we just went home and faced the music when I was young).

3.Kinetic Sculpture Race- Arcata, Ca to Ferndale, Ca. This is cycling taken to a new level!
http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/

The funniest thing i ever saw on a bike was a young guy walking down a country road bollock naked,he thought that there was nobody about and had just left his front garden as I approached.Needless to say he got quite a fright when he heard my approach,he jumped back into his garden and hid behind the hedge.I was in bits laughing for a few miles.I can imagine him not being able to sleep for a long time after that wondering if that cyclist knew him.HAHAHA he wond be nude strolling again i suspect.What was he thinking.The only thing that would have made it funnier is if a group of us had have been out,as it was I was on my own,a shame really.

I recently went on a training ride around the bays, in Wellington New Zealand, and came across the set for Peter Jackson's (Lord of the Rings director) remake of King Kong. It was kinda wierd, sea on one side and King Kong's lair on the other.

Yeah, well I try to ride on back country or mountain roads, but I had to ride through a bad part of town while transitioning between parts of my ride. That's where I saw a prostitute servicing some dude right in the middle of a city park. They were just lying in the grass getting it on :eek: . It was pretty sick.

:) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( :( :mad: :mad: :D :confused:
Cyclist14 said:

If I see that squirrel with a death wish then I willhelp it with that wish. The strangest thing that I have seen was my old principle Mr. Islam on a cannondale comfort bike he is crazy:eek:

:D This thread is hilarious. Loved the naked people post! haha!

I suppose the weirdest thing I've seen was a few months back- some person was walking along the bike path in what could only be described as street walker gear (CFM boots, dirty blonde wig type thing, short skirt, small top and ripped stockings). They were strutting around taking up the entire path so I had to slow down and warn them that I was behind them and wanted to pass. When they turned around I saw that it was quite an old person (at least 60 or so- face CAKED in makeup).
As I passed and got a closer look at them I realised it was some old guy dressed like a chick. :eek: