the strangest thing you've seen on a ride

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Cyclist14, Nov 12, 2004.

1. peet9471

peet9471 New Member

The funniest thing I ever saw was a naked gut riding a bike when I was walking home from my girlfriend's house. He was so startled he jumped off the bike and ran into the woods. I thought at the time he must have stolen the bike so I rode it down the street about half a mile and parked it under a street light. By morning the bike was gone. At least if he wanted to ride naked I was at least going to make him walk back under the light.

2. Becky_Aus

Becky_Aus New Member

:D Wicked sense of humour!

WTF is up with all these people riding bikes in the nude? :confused:

3. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

Hmm, what ever floats his boat... :confused:
    'CFM' boots, now there's an expression I haven't heard since the late 80's, I'll catagorically state that my handle got nothing to do with that charming expression. :D

As for funny stuff, witnessed aftermaths of several dodgy drug deals, unfortunately not as funny or financially successful as Hitchys.

Naked people, one I remember for all the wrong reasons was a elderly chap walking along Separation St in Northcote carrying a slab. (slab, translation = 2 dozen beers) Wearing runners & white socks. Baffled me somewhat, ie: where was his wallet, keys etc. Some questions aren't worth answering.

Animals, walking the bike while chatting to a friend - a tiny puppy ran alongside and jumped through the front wheel spokes. The owners of puppy thought it was a cute stunt, even though I was literally having kittens when it happened. Some people don't deserve pets.

4. allezkmiec

allezkmiec New Member

The weirdest thing I've ever seen is definitely the time I almost hit a bear on a fast descent. I whipped around a corner at about 45 MPH, and a black bear was in the middle of the road! It didn't even know I was there until I was already passing it, but damn, did it ever take off when it saw me! Glad I didn't hit it... the last thing I want to do is tick off a bear while wearing nothing but spandex!

5. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

This one isn't mine, but recanted to me by a biking buddy of mine.

Many years ago, they were on a training ride. At one point in this route, there was a rather in-famous dog that LOVED to chase cyclists. So, needless to say, this house became a sprint point. According to my buddy, the house was in a little bit of a gully with a hill going in and going out. One day, one of his buds said "watch this" and took off down the hill. Everybody was hanging back watching. The little white scruffy dog comes flying out of the yard chasing the guy. With the pup about 10-15' behind him going full steam and barking, he starts edging over towards the edge of the road. About that time, WHAM! The dog runs head long into the brick mailbox at the next door neighbors house. Turned at least 1 full flip. As the rest of the group rode by, the dazed dog was staggering back home. It never chased them again....

6. Becky_Aus

Becky_Aus New Member

:D Very funny! Every time I see one of your posts I will think of those boots now! You shouldn't have said anything.

Who would've thought Northcote to be the home of all-night, old-age, binge drinking, nudey parties? :eek: Woo. Remind me not to go there!

What gets me about all these naked people roaming around is
    (a) why are they predominately old people?
    (b) where are the police?
    (c) have people no shame?

P.S- I like your avatar cfsmtb ;)

7. Bikelux

Bikelux New Member

I was mountain biking in Northern Queensland Australia , about 7 years ago , riding up this hill in dense rainforest, which was slippery red mud. The track eventually got so muddy I had to get off and walk. I caught a glimpse Of movement to my side in amongst the trees. I got the shock of my life as I was on my own with no company , I was thinking "WTF's this thing" . Out of the forest came about eight soldiers in the full cammo gear covered in bushes and crap brandishing their M16s or steyrs and rocket launchers etc . Turns out I'd mountainbiked into a simulated jungle warfare exercise. They didn't say much , I got the message.

On the road bike I've seen trucks overturned , accidents , wild animals and cows on the road , a tortise crossing the road and some incredible storms with St elmos fire and lightning .Luckily it was some distance away and I was pedalling like f--k to get home as I live in the country. I could be up to 70-80 kms from home when I'm out on an epic adventure training ride with a storm approaching.

8. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

This is a crazy thing that happened to me. I used to live in Northern New Mexico and was riding my bike down Holman Hill near Mora. The decent is wicked fast and at the bottom of the hill, there is about a 1/4 mile streach of straight road. I hit the straight at about 30 mph and saw a little black dot coming towards me. I tried to focus in on the dot and by the time it came in to focus, it was to late. The little black dot turned out to be a big bumble bee and it hit me right between the eyes. The last thing I remember was seeing my bike continue down the road without me. I had a big welt on my forehead and two black eyes! :mad: The worst was the road rash that ran from my neck to my legs. :eek: :mad:

9. maddox300

maddox300 New Member

Near where I live there is a cemetery that has a lot of hilly lanes that are fun to ride, especially in fall when leaves are colorful. Once while riding through an older part of the cemetery (lots of statuary and mausolea) on a sunny autumn day, I saw a parade of clowns ambling among the monuments. I nearly fell off of my bike. I still haven't figured out what they were doing there.

10. Joe WW

Joe WW New Member

They have black squirels in Michigan and last summer we had a white squirrel in the woods behind our house. No kidding, it was an albino. Boy, I suppose I should be posting this on a squirrel forum!

11. Eddy_Merckx

Eddy_Merckx New Member

The strangest thing that I have ever seen on a ride is two cows doing the well, you know... ;)

12. Joe WW

Joe WW New Member

If you saw 2 cows doing the "you know", that would indeed be unusual. Typically, that activity involves a cow and a bull!:)

13. cuervo

cuervo New Member

Cows "freedom of choice" perhaps? :)

14. Joe WW

Joe WW New Member

Not that there is anything wrong with that....:)

15. Ashley3

Ashley3 New Member

Hmmmmm, well, Steve, I wouldn't count that as strange or weird. People seem to put themselves in that, ummmm, posture, pretty regularly as I hear it. What it is, however, is uncommon for the rest of us to stumble upon it. Like the Sunday morning a few months ago, when my 10-year-old son and I pulled into the local park-and-ride lot just at the break of dawn. A lot of riders start there on the weekend, and out of the corner of my eye I noticed movement behind the tinted windows of the SUV we'd pulled up next to. As we were getting out of the car I saw a flash of normally-protected flesh and thought, "a rider, getting into his/her gear." As we began to get our bikes out it became clear to me that it was two "riders" and they did not haver gear on their mind, or on their bodies. Needless to say, I hopped on the bike and said, "Let's ride!" to my son, and we made our fastest escape ever from the parking lot!

16. meehs

meehs New Member

Fat guy chopping wood in the buff.

17. Ike90

Ike90 New Member

You write as though it's a bad thing. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

18. lpennock

lpennock New Member

i hit a deer on a mountain bike in a tight singletrack section of the 1992 world mountain bike championship trail in durango colorado; went over the bars as a result. this part of the trail is cut through a thick aspen grove and has very sharp turns so there was no way to see him. that was almost a decade ago.

last summer i almost hit a deer in nashville, where i live now. it was a flat section of road and so i saw her and assumed she would bolt when she saw me coming at her at 22mph, but instead she just stared me down as i approached and barely missed her.

19. William Henry

William Henry New Member

Now do you all see why I hate squrrils

:eek:

20. William Henry

William Henry New Member

:confused: ;) I have seen deer while I am riding but I have never hit one r u okay dude or is your head screwed up from hitting a tree

:confused: