the strangest thing you've seen on a ride

A whale in the ocean next to the road I was riding on.
A marshal protecting a turtle from the leading bunch.
Ostriches crossing the road in front of our bunch, as well as baboons.

The funniest/most annoying thing I encounter on one of my routes is having to escape a flock of geese from the local farm that conviniently happens to be right at the top of a very steep climb. So I have to conserve my engery on the long climb so I have enough energy to sprint at the top of the climb to escape the geese.

This was in San Diego around 1995. But I have a couple similar stories.

Mission Hills is a network of trails that run from LaMesa to MCAS Miramar (formerly NAS Miramar). Its got great riding, but it seems very little use especially on weekdays. And it is rare to see any other people out there. My college buddy, Jeff and I would do a 2-3 hour MTB ride before classes everyday in the AM.

So one fine spring morning, about 0900, we are bombing down this trail, about 5 miles from the trailhead, minding our own business as usual, when all of a sudden at about 15mph...
- we hit a clearing
- with a park bench
- with a couple on the park bench (notice "on" not at the park bench)
- the female part of the couple is at the edge of the table giving the football signal for "field goal" with her legs, with the guy just going at it like there is no tomorrow.
- We get a glimple of this for like 1.2 seconds as we are zooming by. They don't even miss a beat.

So continue on the downhill section and pull off the trail about a mile up and skid over to the side. And just look at each other. No words were neccessary, but we were both thinking, "Did you see what I think I saw?"

You can't make this stuff up...

-Z

Ike90 said:
You write as though it's a bad thing. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
I'm glad to see someone else in support of nudity. I realize there's a time and place for everything, but the great outdoor seems to always say to me "No time like the present!". I've also been one of those freaky people mentioned hear that loves lovin' in the woods. I can't help it, call me a perv if you must, I'll live with it.

My only squirrel incident worth mentioning was when I saw one fall off a tree branch from about thirty feet up. He hit the ground with a might thud and seemed stunned for a few seconds. Then he apparently came to and took off. I think that's the only time I've ever seen a squirrel fall like that.

Other than that, I've only seen a fox and a beaver (the big toothed mammal).

I have seen a couple of kids that attacked me on my bike on a rode ride they had a couple of paintball guns that shot at me when i went by but they missed at two feet away:eek: :eek: :eek:

William Henry said:
I have seen a couple of kids that attacked me on my bike on a rode ride they had a couple of paintball guns that shot at me when i went by but they missed at two feet away:eek: :eek: :eek:
You ought to go to the police if this was recent.

happen about a year ago was cycling on a back road, and saw this fresh black bra lying middle of the road and about 50 meters down I saw this black G-Strings panties both are fresh like maybe an hour or so ... and I was wondering whats going on ....

William Henry said:
You know, I am sure this would have been a VERY different experience for them around here. Discovering that they brought a toy to a gunfight.

-Z

This happened just yesterday actually. A car passed me, and I happened to notice the bumper sticker on the back that said:

I LOVE INTERCOURSE Pennsylvania

I almost laughed myself out of the saddle:D

Bunch of dudes in armor with swords, spears, maces, shields, etc. You name it, they had it. I was thinking D& D geeks...untill I remembered... Renaissance Festival was coming up.

myn certainly cant beat naked ppl and undies but i have riden my bike past what lookd like a big brown/black fluff ball then i relized it was a ratcoon sleeping by the road and i got outa there as fast as i could...*NO way was i gana let that thing attack me*

~Scott

a meter long monitor lizard motionless across the center of the paved road, i knew it was alive cos it had its head up as if stallking something. It looked prehistoric and magnificent, i hope nothing happened to it.

totally naked woman walking along the side of the street, and a naked man once too at night!

i live in the philippines. on a mountainbike ride deep into mountain trails we chanced upon a group of shabilly clothed men walking carriying m16 rifles!
that got my heartrate higher than it already was!

I think the weirdest thing I've seen was last summer when I spotted the complete, full-sized skeleton of a cow or horse lying in the ditch by the side of the road.

Saw a snake eating a catfish on my lunch ride today. Took him about five laps around my circuit to get it down too.

pk273340 said:
im from connecticut but i go to school in philadelphia. we have plenty of squirels in CT but the other day i almost hit a black one. never seen a black one before then, scared me a bit. btw is that bad luck?

Ha, only for the squirrel... personally I like exterminating the little tree rats... vermin that they are.

I saw something a bit unsettling while out for a ride after work yesterday. We were taking a short cut though a suburban type development when we were nearly cut off by a girl of about six driving a pink Powerwheels truck pretending to talk on a toy cell phone. I fear for our future...