The SUV of bicycles

Hamish Moffatt

Guest
Riding the Dandenong Creek bike track around Wantirna today (eastern
suburbs of Melbourne) I saw a guy on a petrol-powered bicycle, towing a
trailer with his dog in it. He was tailgating me and another rider for a
bit too. Is this the SUV of the bicycle world?

As well as that I saw one woman on an electric-assisted bicycle (no harm
there), and two kids on trailbikes (grr). Otherwise it was a nice ride.

Hamish

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Riding the Dandenong Creek bike track around Wantirna today (eastern
> suburbs of Melbourne) I saw a guy on a petrol-powered bicycle, towing a
> trailer with his dog in it. He was tailgating me and another rider for a
> bit too. Is this the SUV of the bicycle world?
>
> As well as that I saw one woman on an electric-assisted bicycle (no harm
> there), and two kids on trailbikes (grr). Otherwise it was a nice ride.
>
> Hamish

I was riding a electric-assist bike down there last week. Petrol-powered
are legal if less than 50cc. In fact, the motor-assist are not as clean
as they're made out to be, as their power source is ultimately
coal-fired power stations. The SU is short for Stupendously Useless.
At least though they don't disrupt everyone else's ride by making a
racket, and feeling like you're on top of a chainsaw if you've ever
ridden one, which I did years ago.
Cheers,
Ray

ray wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> Riding the Dandenong Creek bike track around Wantirna today (eastern
>> suburbs of Melbourne) I saw a guy on a petrol-powered bicycle, towing
>> a trailer with his dog in it. He was tailgating me and another rider
>> for a bit too. Is this the SUV of the bicycle world?
>>
>> As well as that I saw one woman on an electric-assisted bicycle (no
>> harm there), and two kids on trailbikes (grr). Otherwise it was a nice
>> ride.
>>
>> Hamish

> I was riding a electric-assist bike down there last week. Petrol-powered
> are legal if less than 50cc. In fact, the motor-assist are not as clean
> as they're made out to be, as their power source is ultimately
> coal-fired power stations.

True. At least they're fairly quiet and the fumes are emitted in
Traralgon rather than me choking on them while riding :-|

cheers
Hamish