The "Sydney" Magazine - SMH Wednesday

Dave Hughes

Guest
On Wednesday the SMH had its "Sydney" Magazine. In this magazine was an
article about people who commute in interesting and enjoyable ways. One of
those people commuted on a bastardisd wannabe bike, raving about how good
it was.

Oh yeah, Zebee was featured as well, apparently really enjoying her much
longer commute despite the lack of a two stroke motor to "assist"
pedalling her recumbent.

Zebee, if you missed the article and want a copy I think I've still got
mine.

--
Dave Hughes - [email protected]
Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 31 May 2008 10:05:57 +1000
Dave Hughes <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wednesday the SMH had its "Sydney" Magazine. In this magazine was an
> article about people who commute in interesting and enjoyable ways. One of
> those people commuted on a bastardisd wannabe bike, raving about how good
> it was.
>
> Oh yeah, Zebee was featured as well, apparently really enjoying her much
> longer commute despite the lack of a two stroke motor to "assist"
> pedalling her recumbent.
>
> Zebee, if you missed the article and want a copy I think I've still got
> mine.

*grin* thanks, I've been given one. I didn't see it till today so I
had heaps of people saying it was a good story.

And yes, the 'bent is fun. When he asked me if I did it for health or
environmental reasons I said that you don't get out on a bike on a
cold wet morning because of carbon emissions or because you might live
to 78 instead of 77. You do it because it's fun.

Bet plenty of people here know what I mean... Like the serious
masochists who get up at 5am to train on their road bikes!

Zebee

Dave Hughes wrote:
> On Wednesday the SMH had its "Sydney" Magazine. In this magazine was an
> article about people who commute in interesting and enjoyable ways. One of
> those people commuted on a bastardisd wannabe bike, raving about how good
> it was.
>
> Oh yeah, Zebee was featured as well, apparently really enjoying her much
> longer commute despite the lack of a two stroke motor to "assist"
> pedalling her recumbent.
>
> Zebee, if you missed the article and want a copy I think I've still got
> mine.

And in an odd twist, its Melbourne counterpart, the Age's "Melbourne
Magazine" featured an article on Dave Hughes!

Moike

In article <[email protected]>,
Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bet plenty of people here know what I mean... Like the serious
> masochists who get up at 5am to train on their road bikes!
>
> Zebee

Get up at 5am? Geezuz, I am down in Centennial Park by then.
Was a bit nippy (by Sydney standards) this morning.
I wish I had been even earlier this morning when some ******* entered my
house and stole my phone, watch and two-way marine radio. I s'pose I
should thank him for not taking my wallet or a bike.

cheers,
20cents

On Sat, 31 May 2008 10:48:49 +1000, David Springthorpe wrote:

> Love your work on Rove.....

Watch it or I'll chuck a hissy fit!

Dave (who isn't that Dave Hughes, but it's nice to have someone else to
blame for those odd Google results)

--
Dave Hughes - [email protected]
If you call blowing things up experiments, there were a lot of

Dave Hughes wrote:
> ...One of
> those people commuted on a bastardisd wannabe bike, raving about how good
> it was.

Could I have a little more information about that one? I'm wondering
if I fit into that category... ;-)

BTH

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 1 Jun 2008 15:45:52 -0700 (PDT)
BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dave Hughes wrote:
>> ...One of
>> those people commuted on a bastardisd wannabe bike, raving about how good
>> it was.

> Could I have a little more information about that one? I'm wondering
> if I fit into that category... ;-)

2 stroke motor on a MTB from memory. Reckons he can get it to 60kmh
without pedalling which means it's illegal to ride without registration,
licence, AS1698 lid.

I wonder if he's going to get a visit from the Blue Gang....

Zebee

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 01:21:16 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I wonder if he's going to get a visit from the Blue Gang....

Apparently, if the sticker says that it is only 200watts, they'll believe
him, or so I've been told.

We have a couple of power assisted "commuters" around here and it sounds
like the engine has been taken from a whipper snipper and is at a
critical point. It would be nicer if they actually pedalled a bit and
moved their smelly, smoky trail along.

On Jun 2, 1:52 pm, terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 01:21:16 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> > I wonder if he's going to get a visit from the Blue Gang....

> Apparently, if the sticker says that it is only 200watts, they'll believe
> him, or so I've been told.
>
> We have a couple of power assisted "commuters" around here and it sounds
> like the engine has been taken from a whipper snipper and is at a
> critical point. It would be nicer if they actually pedalled a bit and
> moved their smelly, smoky trail along.

Yes... one wonders if its better to arrive at your destination:
a) covered in (not yet smelly) sweat
or
b) smelling of 2-stroke.

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:45:52 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

> Could I have a little more information about that one? I'm wondering
> if I fit into that category... ;-)

No, it was the two-stroke conversion mentioned by Zebee, but it was
written to leave a few moments doubt that it might be aime at her.

Not that I'd indulge in petty trolling on the intermernet.

--
Dave Hughes - [email protected]
"The problem with people whose minds are in the gutter is

Zebee wrote:
> BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Dave Hughes wrote:
> >> ...One of
> >> those people commuted on a bastardisd wannabe bike, raving about how good
> >> it was.

> > Could I have a little more information about that one? I'm wondering
> > if I fit into that category... ;-)

> 2 stroke motor on a MTB from memory. Reckons he can get it to 60kmh
> without pedalling which means it's illegal to ride without registration,
> licence, AS1698 lid.
>
> I wonder if he's going to get a visit from the Blue Gang....

I hate those things SO much!

Partly because they don't have to pedal, but mostly because I hate 2
strokes. If I could buy a 4-stroke chainsaw, I'd be able to remove 2-
strokes from my life permanently!

BTH

BT Humble wrote:
> I hate those things SO much!
>
> Partly because they don't have to pedal, but mostly because I hate 2
> strokes. If I could buy a 4-stroke chainsaw, I'd be able to remove 2-
> strokes from my life permanently!

I *love* the smell of two-stroke in the morning.

Many's the time I've sat back behind a KR1 or an RS125 just to savour
the aroma of burning castor-oil.

At least.. that's why I told them I didn't go past on a bike with 4-8
times the capacity .........

.... oh... wrong group.

Yeah, the ones on pretend pushbikes are an abomination. (and they don't
even seem to bother to use 'proper' two-stoke oil.

It can be a bit of a bother having to overtake and pull away when you
really set out for a leisurely ride.

There was one with a whipper-snipper motor that nearly gave me a
coronary when he overtook me, and again when I finally caught him again.
(Then I stopped to "check my map".)

Moike