The tax man sticks it to Cipollini

Bro Deal said:
Cipo has been ordered to pay 1.1 million euros in back taxes.
wonder how much Ball is paying him to put in an appearance....um race in a few US races - if the rumors are true

Bro Deal said:
Cipo has been ordered to pay 1.1 million euros in back taxes.
He could negate much of this by claiming that all his colossal pharmaceutical bills were legitimate, deductible expenses. They were mostly for jaw enhancement 'supplements' which were used to literally enhance his profile.

The tax investigation was concerned with whether or not Cippo was based in Monaco (tax free status) as he claimed, or whether he was based in Italy (where he is liable to be taxed at Italian rates).

1.1m euros is a large hit to take.

Yup, they got him the same way they got Valentino Rossi, proving that he had actually spent more days living at his 'secondary residence' in Italy than in his home in Montecarlo.

Happy the Government is going after these guys...

PP : well given the sort of money that these sportspeople make - they should be paying their fair share of tax.

Indeed Lim. And apparently the tax police have brought on some additional good news for Re Leone. They are auditing an additional 2.9 million euro in 2000-2004 income that they are... ehm... 'curious' about.

Powerful Pete said:
Indeed Lim. And apparently the tax police have brought on some additional good news for Re Leone. They are auditing an additional 2.9 million euro in 2000-2004 income that they are... ehm... 'curious' about.

Poor guy. It can't be cheap to entertain a second residence in Monaco. And it was all for naught since he'll have to tax in Italy after all.

Powerful Pete said:

Don't take offence at this - but I read some time back that Italy has the lowest level of income tax compliance in Europe.
Italians are fundamentally opposed to pay any tax - according to this article.
Is this true????

We're the same - except we inherited that attitude because, living under British occupation for 800 years - we did all we could to deprive the "crown" of income.

limerickman said:
Don't take offence at this - but I read some time back that Italy has the lowest level of income tax compliance in Europe.
Is this true????
May be
tongue.gif

Italy changes rules of tax-evasion game

limerickman said:
Is this true????

We're the same - except we inherited that attitude because, living under British occupation for 800 years - we did all we could to deprive the "crown" of income.
Didn't Sophia Loren have to go to jail in Italy for that? And they painted her cell pink for her...:rolleyes:

nns1400 said:
Didn't Sophia Loren have to go to jail in Italy for that? And they painted her cell pink for her...:rolleyes:

she did spend a few days in jail.

can't verify the pink cell bit though!

(beautiful looking woman too!)

limerickman said:
Is this true????

Indeed Lim, we have a bit of an issue with... following the rules. To paraphrase something Mussolini said, Italy would be a heck of a lot easier to govern if Italians did not spend 99.9% of their time doing exactly the opposite of what is laid out in laws/regulations.

N.B. I am not glorifying Mussolini or Fascism, and this reference is made to normal everyday laws and not political opposition to the regime (IIRC).

limerickman said:
Is this true????
Maybe no one else in Europe has the balls to resist. :p

Powerful Pete said:
Indeed Lim, we have a bit of an issue with... following the rules. To paraphrase something Mussolini said, Italy would be a heck of a lot easier to govern if Italians did not spend 99.9% of their time doing exactly the opposite of what is laid out in laws/regulations.

N.B. I am not glorifying Mussolini or Fascism, and this reference is made to normal everyday laws and not political opposition to the regime (IIRC).
You know, that rings a bell. When I was in Sicily, I was told that a red signal in traffic is treated as just a suggestion, not a rule. That would fit in exactly with what you are saying. :D

TheDarkLord said:
You know, that rings a bell. When I was in Sicily, I was told that a red signal in traffic is treated as just a suggestion, not a rule. That would fit in exactly with what you are saying. :D
Have you ever tried negotiating a roundabout in Paris, like the one round the Place de la Madeleine? Is "mayhem" a french word?

I have noticed, particularly in Itlay, that when you're paying for something it always has to be paid for in cash.
Credit card - cheque is not accepted.

Given the huge number of banks in Italy, I was suprised at this attitude when I first travelled there.
And in all the years I've been back to itlay since then.....they still insist on cash
payment - be it in a hotel, bar, shops.

Or maybe they just don't accept cheues/credit cards from foreigners.

limerickman said:
I have noticed, particularly in Itlay, that when you're paying for something it always has to be paid for in cash.
Credit card - cheque is not accepted.

Given the huge number of banks in Italy, I was suprised at this attitude when I first travelled there.
And in all the years I've been back to itlay since then.....they still insist on cash
payment - be it in a hotel, bar, shops.

Or maybe they just don't accept cheues/credit cards from foreigners.
Lim, I thought this is more of a European rather than Italian thing. I know that in Germany, many places do accept credit cards, but many others don't; clearly this is something that is just changing now, and it is possible that Italy is still a bit behind in this regard. Usually, they do accept debit cards in shops though, since that is almost like paying with cash.