The things you see at a time trial...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
    chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another rider,
    getting changed in the main hall (not the loos). Put it this way, when he
    was getting changed out of his shorts, it was *clear* and *obvious* he'd
    been going commando... He really needs to learn how not to let his towel
    slip, or to get changed in a loo cubicle... Good job I'm not a delicate
    flower or I'd have needed the smelling salts ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    Tags:

  2. wafflycat wrote:

    > it was *clear*
    > and *obvious* he'd been going commando...

    I thought this was the norm?

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Simon Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> it was *clear*
    >> and *obvious* he'd been going commando...

    > I thought this was the norm?

    I've never heard it referred to as 'Norm' before.

    Peter
    Percy
    John

    But never Norm ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've never heard it referred to as 'Norm' before.
    >
    > Peter
    > Percy
    > John

    (as in John Thomas)

    > But never Norm ;-)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Derivative of Richard..
    Derivative of William..

    Cheers, helen s

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    wafflycat <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:
    : Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
    : chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another rider,
    : getting changed in the main hall (not the loos).

    Road races seem ever worse for this than TT's. Lots of blokes just stripped
    off in the hall. My grilfriend was quite distraced when she came to a race
    with me once :)

    Aerthur

    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  6. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Road races seem ever worse for this than TT's. Lots of blokes just
    > stripped
    > off in the hall. My grilfriend was quite distraced when she came to a race
    > with me once :)
    >
    > Aerthur

    As long as you weren't made tofeel inferior, but smug instead, that's okay
    ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  7. "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk>typed

    > Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
    > chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another rider,
    > getting changed in the main hall (not the loos). Put it this way, when he
    > was getting changed out of his shorts, it was *clear* and *obvious* he'd
    > been going commando... He really needs to learn how not to let his towel
    > slip, or to get changed in a loo cubicle... Good job I'm not a delicate
    > flower or I'd have needed the smelling salts ;-)

    > Cheers, helen s

    Why?

    He needed space to change. He wanted to leave the loos to those who
    *needed* toilet facilities. I get really brassed off when I can't use a
    loo to pee cos people are too shy to change in communal facilties. (This
    happens when I sing in a mixed choir.)

    Adults come in two forms; those like 'them' and those like 'us'.

    Most adults have seen both forms by their mid 20s, or sooner.

    I am quite comfortable with the unclothed human form, so long as it's
    not threatening.

    This chap wasn't quite parading himself in the open air, was he?

    Wearing undies under cycling shorts is not the way to ride...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  8. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon &
    > I were chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon
    > was another rider, getting changed in the main hall (not the
    > loos). Put it this way, when he was getting changed out of his
    > shorts, it was *clear* and *obvious* he'd been going
    > commando... He really needs to learn how not to let his towel
    > slip, or to get changed in a loo cubicle... Good job I'm not a
    > delicate flower or I'd have needed the smelling salts ;-)
    > Cheers, helen s

    We took the kids to see Paul Merton this afternoon at the Fringe.
    While we were queueing in the court yard there were several scantilly
    clad young ladies wandering round giving out leaflets for other shows.
    I could see the boys (13 and 15 years) trying to look but not be seen
    to be looking.
    --
    the.Mark

  9. wafflycat wrote:

    > I've never heard it referred to as 'Norm' before.

    No really. I wonder if anyone does actually wear pants under cycling shorts.
    Would seem a mightily odd thing to do.

  10. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk>typed
    >

    >> Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
    >> chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another
    >> rider,
    >> getting changed in the main hall (not the loos). Put it this way, when he
    >> was getting changed out of his shorts, it was *clear* and *obvious* he'd
    >> been going commando... He really needs to learn how not to let his towel
    >> slip, or to get changed in a loo cubicle... Good job I'm not a delicate
    >> flower or I'd have needed the smelling salts ;-)

    >> Cheers, helen s

    > Why?

    Woosh... What was that?? It was Helen's sense of humour vanishing! ;-)

    > He needed space to change. He wanted to leave the loos to those who
    > *needed* toilet facilities. I get really brassed off when I can't use a
    > loo to pee cos people are too shy to change in communal facilties. (This
    > happens when I sing in a mixed choir.)
    >
    > Adults come in two forms; those like 'them' and those like 'us'.
    >
    > Most adults have seen both forms by their mid 20s, or sooner.
    >
    > I am quite comfortable with the unclothed human form, so long as it's
    > not threatening.

    Good for you, but not everyone is.

    > This chap wasn't quite parading himself in the open air, was he?

    Almost, and FWIW, there were kids in the main hall, so if he'd have gone to
    the rather large loos he'd have space he could have changed in which was
    private and without risk of accidental exposure to anyone.

    > Wearing undies under cycling shorts is not the way to ride...

    Woosh... there goes that sense of humour again ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    > --
    > Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    > Edgware.

  11. MSA

    MSA Guest

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> I've never heard it referred to as 'Norm' before.

    > No really. I wonder if anyone does actually wear pants under cycling shorts.
    > Would seem a mightily odd thing to do.

    I've seen loads that do, the VPL gives it away! I find it fairly
    common practice in Germany for some reason. If here was no other
    reason not to wear them, at least it cuts down on washing!

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

  12. wafflycat wrote:

    > Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
    > chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another
    > rider, getting changed in the main hall (not the loos). Put it this way,
    > when he was getting changed out of his shorts, it was *clear* and
    > *obvious* he'd been going commando... He really needs to learn how not
    > to let his towel slip, or to get changed in a loo cubicle... Good job
    > I'm not a delicate flower or I'd have needed the smelling salts ;-)

    You should have seen the beach after the Dunwich Dynamo. After 120
    miles no-one cares.

  13. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:

    > wafflycat <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:
    > : Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
    > : chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another rider,
    > : getting changed in the main hall (not the loos).
    >
    > Road races seem ever worse for this than TT's. Lots of blokes just stripped
    > off in the hall. My grilfriend was quite distraced when she came to a race
    > with me once :)
    >
    > Aerthur

    The girls are nearly as bad as the blokes. Only they don't pee just
    anywhere before the race. And for a really distracting view take a walk
    in a race hotel after a really 'nice' pileup !

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  14. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk>typed
    >>

    >>> Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
    >>> chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another
    >>> rider,
    >>> getting changed in the main hall (not the loos). Put it this way, when
    >>> he
    >>> was getting changed out of his shorts, it was *clear* and *obvious* he'd
    >>> been going commando... He really needs to learn how not to let his towel
    >>> slip, or to get changed in a loo cubicle... Good job I'm not a delicate
    >>> flower or I'd have needed the smelling salts ;-)

    >>> Cheers, helen s

    >> Why?
    >>

    > Woosh... What was that?? It was Helen's sense of humour vanishing! ;-)

    It either is a joke or it isn't. Some of us get tired at having other
    people's prudery constantly pushed upon us.

  15. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > It either is a joke or it isn't. Some of us get tired at having other
    > people's prudery constantly pushed upon us.

    Oh dear, sounds like someone has been sucking too many lemons he's so sour.

    If you look over there ---> a million miles away, you'll find that sense of
    humour you've so obviously lost.

    Cheers, helen s

  16. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>

    >> It either is a joke or it isn't. Some of us get tired at having other
    >> people's prudery constantly pushed upon us.
    >>

    > Oh dear, sounds like someone has been sucking too many lemons he's so
    > sour.
    >
    > If you look over there ---> a million miles away, you'll find that sense
    > of humour you've so obviously lost.

    Sorry I don't have a great sense of humour. But it didn't appear that you
    were joking. It just appeared you wanted to disapprove without justifying
    why or defend your comments.

    If you really don't care about the guy getting changed and wouldn't dream of
    acting in a disapproving way in real life, I apologise.

  17. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>

    >>> It either is a joke or it isn't. Some of us get tired at having other
    >>> people's prudery constantly pushed upon us.
    >>>

    >> Oh dear, sounds like someone has been sucking too many lemons he's so
    >> sour.
    >>
    >> If you look over there ---> a million miles away, you'll find that sense
    >> of humour you've so obviously lost.
    >>

    > Sorry I don't have a great sense of humour. But it didn't appear that you
    > were joking. It just appeared you wanted to disapprove without justifying
    > why or defend your comments.
    >
    > If you really don't care about the guy getting changed and wouldn't dream
    > of acting in a disapproving way in real life, I apologise.

    Apology accepted.

    If you go to the orginal post, you will see the relevant ;-)

    I'm a woman of the world - seen one dangly bit, seen them all... Mind you,
    if I'd have had young kids there (and there were some there), and they'd
    have seen it, I'd have had a word with the bloke in question to remind him
    that there was a remarkably large gents loo with plenty of space in which he
    could change without giving youngsters an anatomy lesson in the main hall.
    That's not prudish IMO. It's one thing not to be prudish, but it's also one
    thing not to get yer bits out for public display... for all & sundry to see
    who haven't asked to see..

    Cheers, helen s

  18. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I'm a woman of the world - seen one dangly bit, seen them all... Mind you,
    > if I'd have had young kids there (and there were some there), and they'd
    > have seen it, I'd have had a word with the bloke in question to remind him
    > that there was a remarkably large gents loo with plenty of space in which
    > he could change without giving youngsters an anatomy lesson in the main
    > hall. That's not prudish IMO. It's one thing not to be prudish, but it's
    > also one thing not to get yer bits out for public display... for all &
    > sundry to see who haven't asked to see..

    You see you weren't joking were you. You were making a point and trying to
    pretend it was just a joke. Why shouldn't kids see naked people? When I go
    swimming all the blokes get changed in a communal area often full of young
    kids, boys and girls.

    IMO this is prudish.

  19. "Robert" <[email protected]>typed

    > "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > I'm a woman of the world - seen one dangly bit, seen them all...
    > > Mind you,
    > > if I'd have had young kids there (and there were some there), and they'd
    > > have seen it, I'd have had a word with the bloke in question to
    > > remind him
    > > that there was a remarkably large gents loo with plenty of space in which
    > > he could change without giving youngsters an anatomy lesson in the main
    > > hall. That's not prudish IMO. It's one thing not to be prudish, but it's
    > > also one thing not to get yer bits out for public display... for all &
    > > sundry to see who haven't asked to see..
    > >

    > You see you weren't joking were you. You were making a point and trying to
    > pretend it was just a joke. Why shouldn't kids see naked people? When I go
    > swimming all the blokes get changed in a communal area often full of young
    > kids, boys and girls.

    > IMO this is prudish.

    Sometimes I suffer from humour bypass, admittedly.

    I only saw a smiley after the smelling salts comment. Surely if you had
    no problem with nudity, the episode would not merit any comment, let
    alone a usenet posting?

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  20. killermike

    killermike Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:02:15 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

    > Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
    > chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another rider,
    > getting changed in the main hall (not the loos). Put it this way, when he
    > was getting changed out of his shorts, it was *clear* and *obvious* he'd

    In our society, the convention is that people have to wear clothes. Some
    bits of the body are considered 'rude'. Some people would argue that these
    standards are ridiculous (including but not limited to nudists and
    naturists, for example). If he's a grown man, I think that he should have
    obeyed convention in this case. His 'freedom' to walk around naked in
    public might conflict with other people's 'freedom' to hold adult nudity
    with a special regard.

    Unfortunately, in this case, I think that you are going to encounter a lot
    of 'Guardian Reader' style sophisticates who will attempt to brow-beat you
    by trying to assure you that you are not as mature or sophisticated as they
    are. They've seen it all before and would barely raise an eye brow (or
    anything else) in the same situation.

    You've got two kids so, I should imagine that you aren't entirely sexually
    inexperienced either. Like nearly all people in our society, you probably
    assign special meaning to adult nudity. I do too. If an adult woman got
    undressed in front of me, it would probably have some effect on me. The
    problem is, I'm only 29 and I don't want to be as 'sophisticated' as the
    people who've seen it all before.

    Isn't it interesting that the most well know allegorical children's fable
    about brow-beating is actually The Emperor's New Clothes? :)

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.