The Thread about Nothing....

flipper said:
Year 11... :p the bit of Ash Wednesday that burnt Cockatoo started just over our back fence. A few friends lost their houses in that.
Mums cousin lost his house at Cockatoo. Hit by a fireball and burnt to the ground. His old alcoholic neighbour went out, turned the hose on and went back to bed. He and his house survived. :rolleyes:

bbp said:
So you're older than Classic then? This messes with all of my presumptions.
?
I know, I act young. :) I was one of the youg'ns in year 12 -- I was 16 when the year started. Some all the older blokes, especially the Guidos, started to driving to school!!

Hey Lads

I have a legit question:
What's the best way.. or a good way.. to train my legs to be able to spin faster not harder. I have power in my legs, but not great cadence. [does that sentence even make sense?!]

531Aussie said:
I'd skip the alu nipples. I can abrely touch those things without rounding them off :p

The DT1.2s are almost identical to Deep Vs, but apparently they're joined a bit better, not that that means much. They look good, but they might be a bit heavy for what you like (575g), but I s'pose you you'll be dropping weight the with good hubs and spokes......although the 417 are meant to be 552g, but they're obviously deeper.

Fair enough about the nipples. When I first built my own, when I was tired doing a few of the nipples I completely rounded them out too.

The 417's are named such because that is meant to be their weight in grams. So i'd be amazed if the 417 was 552grams!

Having used Deep V pro-elite (the tubular ones) to create some good track wheels, i'll admit that they were stiff and strong, but shesh, the quality of that join was horrendous. Making them under the eye of a very skilled wheelbuilder he was saying thats as good as you will get that 'hop'. The join was an ugly mess.

Ms_Merida said:
Hey Lads

I have a legit question:
What's the best way.. or a good way.. to train my legs to be able to spin faster not harder. I have power in my legs, but not great cadence. [does that sentence even make sense?!]

To me, get a stationary trainer,

warm up
1 minute at 100 cadence
1 minute at 110 cadence
1 minute at 120 cadence
1 minute at 130 cadence
recover
repeat 3 times
cool down.

parawolf said:
warm up
1 minute at 100 cadence
1 minute at 110 cadence
1 minute at 120 cadence
1 minute at 130 cadence
recover
repeat 3 times
cool down.
+1
Works for me too.

I'm not convinced that one set of wheels is the way to go for racing AND training, esp if you're a fultime roadie doing those sorts of training kms.

If I was doing 15k/kms a year and racing A-C grade weekly, I'd get the following.....

One set of Open Pro / Ultegra or DA / Straight guage 32h X 3 brass nips training wheels.

One set of Edge / White Industries H2 / DT Aerolite x3 28 rear, 20 radial front, alloy nips, racing wheels.

You could probably do it all on the latter, but It's a lot of coin if you brake a lot in start-stop urban riding. All the money is essentially in the rims.

There ya go, my 2c!

:)

parawolf said:
Can I get some honest and valid critiques on a wheel build please? Currently looking for something that is solid enough to train on (approx 10,000 - 15,000km a year) but fast enough to race on. Equal concerns to me are weight, braking performance, outright performance, practicality and strength.

Speaking to a friend who works at a bike store suggested the following:

Zipp 417 clincher rims (2008 44mm Zipp 303 rims) with 28 holes
Sapim CX-Rays, Radial front and 3x/3x rear
Alloy nipples
Shimano 7850 Dura-Ace hubset

Cost isn't a driver - but is a concern, but something with an alloy braking surface to me is ideal as wet weather performance is a factor.

I'm convinced about the spokes + hubs, but not so much about the rims... anyone got other suggestions? DT 1.1/1.2's are a consideration (and lower the cost considerably!) In fact going to DT 1.2's, I could afford to go a powertap rear hub, or maybe Quarq CinQo.

Thoughts?

Thylacine said:
I'm not convinced that one set of wheels is the way to go for racing AND training, esp if you're a fultime roadie doing those sorts of training kms.

If I was doing 15k/kms a year and racing A-C grade weekly, I'd get the following.....

One set of Open Pro / Ultegra or DA / Straight guage 32h X 3 brass nips training wheels.

One set of Edge / White Industries H2 / DT Aerolite x3 28 rear, 20 radial front, alloy nips, racing wheels.

You could probably do it all on the latter, but It's a lot of coin if you brake a lot in start-stop urban riding. All the money is essentially in the rims.

There ya go, my 2c!

:)

Very valid point, and i'm considering that. And I have Zipp 404's for racing ;)

Just something lower profile for racing in extreme conditions thats all :)

Ms_Merida said:
Hey Lads

I have a legit question:
Stepping up the cadence on a trainer is good. Try spin classes if you find sitting on the trainer alone a tad mind-numbing.

Don't forget to do some single legged exercises. These are useful for smoothing out your pedal stroke if you do them properly. They'll hurt like hell until the muscle that runs up the outside of your shin gets used to all the commotion.

jock.c said:
Stepping up the cadence on a trainer is good. Try spin classes if you find sitting on the trainer alone a tad mind-numbing.

Don't forget to do some single legged exercises. These are useful for smoothing out your pedal stroke if you do them properly. They'll hurt like hell until the muscle that runs up the outside of your shin gets used to all the commotion.
Or do the cadence drills on rollers... you have to pedal smoothly or you end up on your ****.

jock.c said:
No way jose! single legged excercises do nothing, nada, zilch! Why take all that wonderful symmetry that our body has developed and fark it up by doing something completely unatural. It's like a marathon runner going for a 10k right legged hop cos his left is stronger:p

Ms_Merida said:
Hey Lads

I have a legit question:
I bought a trainer with a computer (that measures cadence amongst other things) and a few of the Spinverals DVDs.

I found watching tv, movies and listening to music couldn't distract me enough.

Single legged drills? They're so yesterday:p

This
is the new method for improving pedalling efficiency. :D

The best way to train yourself to pedal at a higher cadence is to...wait for it... go out and pedal at a higher cadence.

Don't all thank me at once for stating the ****ing obvious.

"Thank you Classic for stating the ****ing obvious."

There, does that make you feel better? :p

classic1 said:
The best way to train yourself to pedal at a higher cadence is to...wait for it... go out and pedal at a higher cadence.

Don't all thank me at once for stating the ****ing obvious.
Someones cranky.. did you have your grandpa nap this afternoon?

I realise it's an obvious question... however i thought there might be some good tips for it all.:p

Ms_Merida said:
Someones cranky.. did you have your grandpa nap this afternoon?
He's right, you know.
Have you got clipless pedals? Get them if not.
Stick it in the little ring (i promise i won't make a joke about your ring), don't change above the middle of your cassette. If you want to go quicker, you'll have to spin quicker.

Gusboh said:
He's right, you know.
Have you got clipless pedals? Get them if not.
Stick it in the little ring (i promise i won't make a joke about your ring), don't change above the middle of your cassette. If you want to go quicker, you'll have to spin quicker.
Yea i've got them.. thanks for some constructive advice..