The Thread about Nothing....

PubliusNaso said:
I'm out near Eltham at the moment.
Maybe go and have a chat to at Walkers Wheels in Montmorency?

I haven't been to the store personally, but Marcus Walker (the owner) is regularly on RRR FM to chat about cycling & seems pretty down to earth & certainly very enthusiastic in regards to all types of riding : ie commuting, racing, etc

PubliusNaso said:
Bike me..
Click me Publius.

This would be up to the job. It's designed as a commuter machine. It might turn out to be a little cramped/upright - especially if you start riding road bikes, but it's more than up to getting you to and from work. Get the wheels checked still..

That frame can be made up to be a fixed wheel, or a geared bike (with derailers etc) too. So it's one of the more flexible frames.

The other readily available 'flexible' frame is the surly cross check. They run at about 1400 though.

No need for a second set of wheels. (get a second bike :D)

Gusboh said:
Click me Publius.

This would be up to the job. It's designed as a commuter machine.
One thing also to consider is whether you need panniers for your commute. This bike has the option of installing a rack and you won't have to rely on a seat-post mounted rack.

Hi experienced folks,

sort of on the current topic!
looking to get ocr1 for commute/weekend ride/you know, showing off and ****/looking sexy etc.
My question is about the experience of using a road bike with 700 x 25c tyres on slightly bumpy/gravel/sandy terrain (eg mullum near ringwood for the melbourneites) , the odd gutter/footpath/pothole? will a bike like the ocr1 stand up to a bit of a beating if i give it one?
I welcome comment and advice.

Thylacine said:
You'll feel as showy and sexy as you'd do stuffing your face with a Big Mac.
You'll be on a bike that is as common as a Commodore/Falcon and it's no more showy that an Avanti or a Trek.:rolleyes:

Giant dropping the equipment on the '08 OCR1 from 105 to Tiagra meant I overlooked it when I was looking for a new bike. (I own an old OCR3, so I don't have anything especially against Giant).;)

Falcodore said:
You'll be on a bike that is as common as a Commodore/Falcon and it's no more showy that an Avanti or a Trek:rolleyes: Giant dropping the equipment from 105 to Tiagra meant I overlooked it when I was looking for a new bike. (I own an OCR3, so I don't have anything especially against Giant).;)
I don't actualy want to look showy:eek:. It's more about the practicality of that bike or similar to do the job i want. The price is a factor so Tiagra is probably about the upper eschelons of my budget.
common also means lots of people might have some good advice on this particular bike, which is what i'm actually after!!:rolleyes:

Bruski said:
I don't actualy want to look showy:eek:. It's more about the practicality of that bike or similar to do the job i want. The price is a factor so Tiagra is probably about the upper eschelons of my budget.
common also means lots of people might have some good advice on this particular bike, which is what i'm actually after!!:rolleyes:
Most of the bikes at that price range will be using a similar groupset (Tiagra with or without the Shimano front chainring), so the only difference will be the frame and the wheels. The most important thing is the bike fitting you properly.

My question is about the experience of using a road bike with 700 x 25c tyres on slightly bumpy/gravel/sandy terrain (eg mullum near ringwood for the melbourneites) , the odd gutter/footpath/pothole? will a bike like the ocr1 stand up to a bit of a beating if i give it one?

Bruski said:
Yeah, it should. Don't expect to go fully off road MTB'ing on it :p, but bike paths/bit of gravel paths etc (ie Lilydale to Warby Rail Trail) etc should be fine.

Bruski said:
Learning to bunny-hop will save the rims from too much damage and drop a few PSI out of the tyres.

Bruski said:
Yes.
Is 25 the biggest that gets into a Giant frame eh?
Buy a cyclo-cross bike if you want truely hard-core.

Enough of this bike buying advice - anyone would think this was a cycling forum. :p

I too have a question ..... anyone know which band the Foo Fighters are ripping off in the "Long Road to Ruin" clip?

Gusboh said:
Click me Publius.

This would be up to the job.
What are those internal gears like? I'd never heard of them until I started looking recently...

I'll definitely chat to Marcus at Walkers wheels - I just have to find a time when the shop's not packed! Very popular he is, which is good, but makes it difficult to find a moment alone with him ;)

On panniers, is there any great advantage over just wearing a backpack? That's what I normally do...

Okay, back to the Foo Fighters, sorry for the interruption! :p

matagi said:
I too have a question ..... anyone know which band the Foo Fighters are ripping off in the "Long Road to Ruin" clip?
I don't know the band they're ripping off but someone on youtube suggested Grohl, with a moustache, was a ringer for Tommy Seebach, and I laughed when I watched this clip.

It looks like a Benny Hill skit...:p