The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

nah, it was a 'real' Merckx one. Weren't those Calois made in Mexico or somewhere? :p

Yeah, SLX was supposed to be THE shizz when that Helicol stuff came out, hey?! It was meant to be super-stiff, etc, etc, until MAX came out.

Incidentally, I only recently found out that Columbus had a stainless steel in the '90s called 'METAX'! Some forum dude reckons Columbus only made it to stop some giant stainless steel manufacturer from getting into the bike biz. Once that trick worked, Columbus apparently stopped making it. In fact, I might start a geeky thread about it on BF to get the Septics going :p

In about '93 I had an SLX Paconi for a few weeks that I didn't like. I was younger and even sillier then, so for all I know, all it may have needed for me to like it was to change something simple, such as a different stem, or to push my seat forward a bit, but I didn't know! I gave it no chance. :) It felt crap and slow compared to my 1988 531c Raleigh (which I still ride occasionally) -- it didn't 'dance' with me when I got off the seat. :D It was farkin sexy: 'dog cock' red with chrome everywhere. I flogged it to the guy at the VFL Park crits who sold stuff out of his caravan for $250.

I also had an SLX Beasley about 5 or 6 years ago, which was a chunky, stiff beast of a frame with an uber-cool Cinelli bottom bracket shell and lugs, but, once again, I didn't like it. :p I tried everything, but it felt slow and dead to me. I sold it to some kid for $240

I've kept a few links to old info about Columbus stuff:

http://home.comcast.net/~bobequus/images/bikepictures/Columbus-tubes.jpg
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/tube_models_80s.pdf
    http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/columbus/columbuschart.htm

2. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

Columbus has a new Stainless called XCR which we're currently doing a frame in. For a 58cm, on paper it should weigh in at about 1400g, which is crazy light for a steel frame.

It's (I guess) in response to Reynolds 953, which has been as popular as a fart in the space shuttle.

3. Gusboh

Gusboh New Member

Now you know why i like my Miyatas. Sweet spline tube lovin' :p

You can all stick your fancy frames up your arse! I can't afford them, ergo, they suck.:p:p:cool::D

4. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Isn't the Pegoretti Responsium made out of XCR?

And whats your retail cost XCR vs the standard steel you use if its not a rude question?

5. badsac

badsac New Member

Frickin fark! I don't know about the frame but I love the colour!

I just bought $500 worth of cold weather riding gear. I've got to put in some serious miles over the winter me thinks if I'm gonna bust me frame before the warranty runs out in October. Then I might just be looking at something in candy ass red. :D

6. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

gord, I didn't know that either :)

I couldn't believe all the hype around 953 when it came out. I think you said it all at the time: it's no lighter than titanium, no cheaper, no more corrosive resistant, etc

7. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

Will u be payin the $65 for the B2B??
    I left my on line entry till the last minute because I wasn't sure if I'd be going. Only booked our accommodation this morning.
    Hey 46 you up for this?

8. badsac

badsac New Member

Nah fark it. I was keen as mustard to finally do it this year as well. But then the friggin cricket club had to go schedule out presso night on the night before. So I expect to still be in a coma when you boys kick off from Blayney. :(

Where yers staying?

9. Wilchemy

Wilchemy Well-Known Member

hehe - Just practicing my "selective quoting" to see if I can be a tabloid journo :p BTW - Pisser of a colour description :D

Hey Oz, it'd have to be too farkin windy even for you to go riding today wouldn't it??

10. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Brunswick velo was fun. Really Fast followed by really slow. Repeat.

Started draggin a ute coming back down Nicholson street. Got up to 65 before he realised he was speeding and slowed down! Biggest tailwind I've experienced in a long time!

11. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

Great, 5 hours without power. What a pain in the arse.

XCR is the same as our Ti, so with a headset and an Edge 2.0 fork it's $4450. Our next cheapest steel road frame is the Tephra SL at $2995 frame only (or $3450 with the fork and headset.)

*edit* Wow, dust storm out in the western suburbs. 1,600 calls out to the SES, and 50,000 homes without power this afternoon.

Yay for the Rapture. :rolleyes:

12. Geoff Vadar

Geoff Vadar New Member

It wasnt so bad in the morning in the city. I managed to sneak in 120km before it got too windy.

13. Gusboh

Gusboh New Member

120km is not 'snuck in'! :)
    I don't know if i could even ride that far at the moment. Beer and work have won the battle for the moment.

Anyway - seeing the drunk perform tonight. I really hope it's only musically, i don't think either of us want the other there for any other antics :D

14. Ms_Merida

Ms_Merida New Member

Forum Annoucement -

I got a distinction in my massage therapy unit with my studies!!!!:D

Shame ya'll live interstate :p

15. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Well done!

And didn't you say you were planning to move south?

16. Ms_Merida

Ms_Merida New Member

Depends who's asking *shifty eyes*
    LOL
    Yea.. but still dont most of you guys live in Vic?
    Even still.. those who ARE in syd.. eastern burbs only.. if u want a cheap [clean] massage when i move down. I'll be happy to take your money :p ;)

17. jock.c

jock.c New Member

I think I luuuurv yoooou Ms Merida. I just can't wait until you get down here to Sydenay. Think of all the time we could spend together liberating muscle spasms, angry fascia (oh the pain!) and tancrid tendons. Bliss

18. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Great. I'll bring the dettol

19. Gusboh

Gusboh New Member

:eek: *Mr Burns* Excellent */Mr Burns*
    Ms_M - ma's a lady. As in - female :D

As for massages in Sydney. I'm up, no, I mean keen, no, i'm ... I'll have a massage.

How long till you move again?

In other news - thedrunk did good tonight. Made the ladies swoon on the saxomophone. Tell you what - he can play! Stole the show.

20. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

You mean you clean up the client afterwards?... :D