The Thread about Nothing....

Whats the Han Soloist Millenium Falcon like Nev? Good bike or what? They are a bargain IMO.

531Aussie said:
so, after all that talk about flexy old steel, I dusted off my 531c Raleigh and took it to the Tues night, Beach Rd smashfest. I gotta say, it DEFINTELY felt a lot slower than my Soloist when I was 'trying' the acclerate off the seat. :D Maybe it's coz it's close to 11kg, or what -- I dunno.
Psychological effect + better aerodynamics is my bet.

I'll make you a steel bike with aerofoil tubing and you can compare.

:D

Hey Ozman, what sort of lights do you use?

Just wondering,.....coz you being the "Mr Bicycle Recycle, owner of numerous pieced together bikes & forever trying out new wheels, stems & other assorted goodies man":D ......if you change light sets as well?

classic1 said:
Whats the Han Soloist Millenium Falcon like Nev? Good bike or what? They are a bargain IMO.
I reckon it's a farkin rocket! :) It's definitely the fastest-feeling bike I've had (I've had about 10 alu frames), even when I put my crappest wheels on it. It's probably not as stiff as my Ciocc, but it feels faster. It feels even faster now with the Flash-Points!! :)

Thylacine said:
Psychological effect + better aerodynamics is my bet.

I'll make you a steel bike with aerofoil tubing and you can compare.

:D
I'm not sure, but I'm beginning to think that a 2 to 3kg weight difference might be enough to notice.

There are a few, old 'aero' Perkins and Paconis at Bycycle Recycle, and they are farkin BRICKS!! :p

Wilchemy said:
Well, I got sick of shelling out the 'big' bucks for AAA batteries at service stations for front lights, :) so I've got those S-Sun things, coz they use two AAs. I've also seen them branded as 'Polaris'.

On the back I just use any old Cateye

Wilchemy said:

Just wondering,.....coz you being the "Mr Bicycle Recycle, owner of numerous pieced together bikes & forever trying out new wheels, stems & other assorted goodies man":D ......if you change light sets as well?
Not that you asked me, but...

PlanetBike Superflash on the back. Best damn rear light i've seen. (very group ride unfriendly though, it'll blind people)

I want Ay-Up's on the front, but my bike budget is too thin for that. So i stick with cheapo BBB and PlanetBike blinkies.

Rechargeable batteries all the way - i just use the ones that i need for my camera, means that i've always got them charged and being cycled.

Thylacine said:

Wow, this (for some reason in the Tech section) from cyclingnews - Trek is trying to dump Lemond.

I'd love to know what "His [Lemond's] actions are inconsistent with our values" means, because I'm not sure exactly what Lemond has done that is up there with Treks sponsorship of Astana.

Methinks maybe they're trying to make way for Lemond MkII aka Armstrong brand road bikes?

*edit* Woah. Read some of the pdf's on the Trek website. If you want to know why big companies suck, all the evidence you need is right there.

Pretty easy to see what's happening there....Trek have made a business decision...their 2 main business partners (in Road bikes), hate each others guts (Armstrong & lemond)....once it became obvious that Lance wasn't a happy camper with Greg, Trek were always gunna have to let one of them go......& I bet lance being the caring, sharing personality he is, woulda made the "Suffer in ya jocks, Greg" phone call!

Yeah nah, my Solist is an farkin rockets!!! Maybe I should pollish up my 531c Raleigh and hang it on the wall, coz it's farkin slow! :) The Raleigh even makes my Altec2 Scapin S2 feel fast. :p

Note the '80s 'proper' bar angle on m Soloist, and the uber-cool 130mm stem! :p

cervelo_flashpoints.jpg

You guys might've seen this, but this stuff from the Germanian 'Tour' magazine says that the "Cervelo Tri" frame saves 17 watts, so maybe the Soloist saves almost as much, aero wise :D

Required output (watts) to sustain 45kph:

Stevens San Remo bike with hands on hoods: 465 Watts
Same bike, hands down on the drops: 406 watts
Same bike, Easton Aeroforce aero bars: 369 Watts
Same bike Triathlon position (5.5 cm lower bar, saddle forward): 360 Watts
Same as above, with 2 carbon Tri-spoke wheels: 345 Watts
Cervelo Tri bike + Tri spoke wheels: 328 Watts
Cervelo Tri bike + Tri spoke front + disk rear: 320 w
Same as above with Giro aero helmet: 317
Same as above with speed suit: 307

531Aussie said:
Required output (watts) to sustain 45kph:

Stevens San Remo bike with hands on hoods: 465 Watts
Same bike, hands down on the drops: 406 watts
Same bike, Easton Aeroforce aero bars: 369 Watts
Same bike Triathlon position (5.5 cm lower bar, saddle forward): 360 Watts
Same as above, with 2 carbon Tri-spoke wheels: 345 Watts
Cervelo Tri bike + Tri spoke wheels: 328 Watts
Cervelo Tri bike + Tri spoke front + disk rear: 320 w
Same as above with Giro aero helmet: 317
Same as above with speed suit: 307
Same as above with **** out. 370
Same as above with pubes shaved off 345
Same as above with back, sack and crack job. 300
Take banana out of back pocket 292
Leave Silca pump at home 280
Take ghey saddle bag off 265
Take off spokey dokeys and spoke cards 245
Psychological impact of taking off spoke cards so bike doesn't sound like motorbike anymore - add 5W to give 250
Remove basket and handle bar streamers 220
Replace all bolts on bike with Ti bolts - 219
Replace al seatpost with carbon version 220 (actually slightly heavier)
Get rid of stupid conti tyres and put on a decent pair Vittoria CX's. 200
Wear US Postal or Discovery kit just like Lance - 180

classic1 said:
Same as above with **** out. 370 ...........hey classic, is that flaccid or erect? :p
Same as above with pubes shaved off 345
Same as above with back, sack and crack job. 300
Take banana out of back pocket 292
Leave Silca pump at home 280
Take ghey saddle bag off 265
Take off spokey dokeys and spoke cards 245
Psychological impact of taking off spoke cards so bike doesn't sound like motorbike anymore - add 5W to give 250
Remove basket and handle bar streamers 220
Replace all bolts on bike with Ti bolts - 219
Replace al seatpost with carbon version 220 (actually slightly heavier)
Get rid of stupid conti tyres and put on a decent pair Vittoria CX's. 200
Wear US Postal or Discovery kit just like Lance - 180
Same as above with one testicle removed - 175