The Thread about Nothing....

Thanks for the anecdotal post 531. I've joined gyms perhaps 6 times in my life, and I've always got bored and lost interest after 3-6 weeks, despite thinking each time that "this time will be different". I haven't been too overweight (probably 10 kgs at worst). Some of those "joins" were when I was playing rugby trying to improve upper body strength.

I think it is personal though. Gyms bore me unless I have some way of "scoring" the whole program so I can measure or strive for something. Playing sport is one way of getting fit... and it's fun. Pumping iron seems to favour those with a narcissistic bent it seems. But each to his own. I know other good people who love going to the gym and can easily keep up the discipline.

I prefer push ups, sit ups, and lunges at home. Easier to fit into the gaps in your day. And cycling is of course the core workout of my fitness training these days.

Gym should be a huge part of the modern cyclists regime...gone are the days when muscle bound 'bogans' ruled the floor. These days it's more likely to be sportspeople who are x-training for their chosen sport, or working on off season weaknesses

Hitchy said:
Gym should be a huge part of the modern cyclists regime...gone are the days when muscle bound 'bogans' ruled the floor. These days it's more likely to be sportspeople who are x-training for their chosen sport, or working on off season weaknesses
Reasons Hitchy goes to the gym

a/ MILF hunting

b/ MILF perving

c/ all the above..

huh...was over at 'seppo central' a few minutes ago....2 people viewing the whole forum!....obviously a raving success!....guess Brian will be unemployed shortly!...pity, not the worst seppo I've exchanged barbs with

classic1 said:

a/ MILF hunting

b/ MILF perving

c/ all the above..

ummm yeah...& your point is?

Reasons Classic goes to gym:

1/ "Jim? I don't know anyone called Jim"

2/ Unless ya mean Jimmy Beam?....but that's a soft **** girly drink, even though the advertising tries to convince you otherwise

3/ It's opposite Mcdonalds...Classic's Gym workout....bigmacquarterpounderfrenchfiesfilletoffishchheesburger....c'mon pal, How many burgers did ya win by being able to recite that **** in years gone by?

Hitchy said:
ummm yeah...& your point is?

Reasons Classic goes to gym:

1/ "Jim? I don't know anyone called Jim"

2/ Unless ya mean Jimmy Beam?....but that's a soft **** girly drink, even though the advertising tries to convince you otherwise

3/ It's opposite Mcdonalds...Classic's Gym workout....bigmacquarterpounderfrenchfiesfilletoffishchheesburger....c'mon pal, How many burgers did ya win by being able to recite that **** in years gone by?
To win a big mac it was actally twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonionsonasesameseedbun :p

Hitchy said:
huh...was over at 'seppo central' a few minutes ago....2 people viewing the whole forum!....obviously a raving success!....guess Brian will be unemployed shortly!...pity, not the worst seppo I've exchanged barbs with
You mean footfetishforums.com

Hitchy said:
huh...was over at 'seppo central' a few minutes ago....2 people viewing the whole forum!.
Current stats:
Most users ever online was 68, 04-21-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Users logged in:
65kgToDate, classic1, conofsilence, Hitchy

Well Hitchy, if you and I left, that would just leave classic and the silent one

531Aussie said:
Fair enough.*

I suppose I forgot for a moment that I was a gym instructor for a long time, so I should know more than most when I'm at home heaving around my pissy dumbells. :) But still, in reality (in my opinion), most people would get the results they wanted if they stopped eating ****, did some sort of aerobic stuff, and maybe a few dumbell flys and curls (etc) in their garage :p. For instance, there's a group ride I often do which ends up with a few of us riding passed a gym in Port Melbourne, and most of the guys on the bikes look a lot better than the peope inthe gym, even though the bike dudes only ride their bikes and maybe do a few pushups at home.

If you feel you're getting a lot out of it, then good, but it must be costing you. And I dunno if things have changed since I was a ****** instructor, but most gyms aren't littered with exercise physiologist, rather bimbos and himbos like me, who get 12 bucks an hour, and only have a 12mth Vic Fit certificate,

A lot of people join a gym coz they reckon they're gunna find the quick/easy answer to get what they want, which is the same reason **** like Ab Blasters, etc, sell so well. It makes me farkin sick when I see Elle Macpherson claiming she maintains her body with three 20min Pilates sessions a week!! :p The sales chicks at the gyms I worked at used to spin **** to get people to join, then I was to one who had to see the look of disappointment on their faces when i told them that to achieve their 'goals' there may actually be some hard work, discipline and -- shock, horror -- dieting involved.

*this has obviously turned into a rant*.... :D

The ******** that fat people used to give me about what they ate was pathetic. It would usually take me about 15 mins in the office to break them, then they'd gradually start admitting that they ate kgs of chocalate a week, and drank litres and litres of the highest calorie mixed drinks on weekends.

I eventually got farkin sick of lazy, fat people expecting me to give them the magic solution to all their problems. :). Faridinkum, some people think they can spend 2 hours a week at a gym, continue to eat ****, but still end up looking like Elle. I got a bit shitty with a few people when they'd say stuff like: "I've been coming here for 6 months and I don't look any different", almost insinuating that it was my fault. I'd then get them to admit that they still ate a lot of ****, then I'd crack it a bit.

Jeez, I was all gung-ho and bright-eyed when I got my first gym job, thinking I was gunna change to world, but after a few years I was a beaten man, and my gym work drew me to these cynical conclusions: :D

1) Most people are farkin lazy slobs who don't deserve a better body.
2) Results are ultimately determined by genetics and food than by any particalur exercise(s) or level of hard work, so lower your expections. :)
3) One or two more sets will do nothing, so just go home! :)

*Sorry to puncuate you post, but it was driving me knuts :)
GYM
Jeez I love a good rant!
Having read that I can see why you posted what you did before.
I know the sort of people that you're talking about. They come up to me and ask what did I do to lose the weight. I tell them I eat less than the energy I expend. They go away disappointed.
ATM I am getting heaps out of the gym I go to.
65kgs in fact - over three years, now some of that is cycling its true - prolly most of it is determination. There is no way I could have taken up cycling and done the things I've done without their assistance. I've added it up. Its over $30,000 I've spent on everything, gym, clothes equipment bikes dietician.
Now if you'd come to me three years ago and said: would I pay $30,000 to lose 65kg and change my life so I can do **** and enjoy myself and achieve stuff I never could have? Hell I'd have paid $100,000 or maybe $500,000.
I'm gunna live now, I wasn't before.
Don't like to crow too much but I regard myself as an expert in weight loss, my own anyway. Not too enamoured that I know I don't know it all though.
I owe most of it to me and the rest to that little gym. Its the size of a small shop front, three rooms. They only do personal training and its max one on three. I can't speak too highly of them and can I say: Its about as close to Fitness First or Curves as a 3 hat gourmet restaurant is to the golden arches or KFC.
(Oh and Classic, there are some seriously fit and gorgeous women who attend.)
Cycling
Had one of my best rides today. 30k into the 82 k I was really suffering because of the ridiculous exercises I was doing on Thursday, but when I finally stopped hurting (coincided with the last of the hills) I span the last 40k at between 90 and 100rpm.
I really believe the gym work both made the first part hurt as well as let me get home as well as I did. As my brother says pain is weakness leaving the body.

classic1 said:

a/ MILF hunting

b/ MILF perving

c/ all the above..
Happy mother's day.
I had fun earlier wishing all the mummys I know the best. I'm a bit tired now.

Perhaps not quite as much fun as I did or in some ways didn't have as the token male with a strangely popular lap at that lesbian housewarming party last night.
I guess it warmed me up for mothers day though.

Gift horse. Mouth.

classic1 said:

a/ MILF hunting

b/ MILF perving

c/ all the above..
None of those at the gym I go to ..... even worse, the blokes aren't much chop :(

Guess I'll just have to concentrate on my exercise program.

Hey classic, is that your girlfriend on the left?
bettiniphoto_0026834_1_full.jpg

Thylacine said:
Yeah, Brooks Pro Womens. Dunno is comfortable is the right word, but even tootling down the road the shape actually seemed pretty good. Obviously I have a chicks' ****. :rolleyes:

They do a 'pre broken in' one that's a funny greeny colour which i thought was cool. I wonder if they do matching bar tape?
They do leather bar tape,dunno about 'a funny green colour". Bar tape costs nearly as much one of their cheaper saddles...has wood and cork bar ends...

stevebaby said:
They do leather bar tape,dunno about 'a funny green colour". Bar tape costs nearly as much one of their cheaper saddles...has wood and cork bar ends...
Or one can go to Spotlight, get a huge roll of white herringbone cotton tape, wrap the bars as many times as you like, shellac (or dye), stuff Moet corks into the ends. Job done :D

Orright youse guys, preliminary report on the "red rocket".

Took it for a brief - and I mean brief - spin down Thylo's street on Sunday, then we chucked it in the car and took it down to the LBS so it could be boxed for the flight home (while we went off and had a nice laksa for lunch :D)

So, let's see ....... the Brooks saddle was a tad firm - think I better stop losing weight from my posterior. :eek:

The bike was really nice to ride, it was comfortable straight off, position was good, felt really relaxed, the SRAM dual drive is incredibly smooth and changes are dead easy.

The brakes? ****ing hell!!!! :eek: Talk about stopping power! I think I'm going to have to adjust those out a little so I don't launch myself over the handlebars every time I try to stop.

Getting it home from the airport was an adventure (the rear seat in the STi doesn't fold down) .... let's just say I was lucky not to encounter any members of the local constabulary on my way home. :p ;)

Do I like it? HELL YEAH!

Looking forward to some happy commuting as soon as my panniers arrive. :cool:

Gusboh said:
Or one can go to Spotlight, get a huge roll of white herringbone cotton tape, wrap the bars as many times as you like, shellac (or dye), stuff Moet corks into the ends. Job done :D
And you get to drink 2 bottles of Moet!
After which...you won't care what's on the bars.
Sorted.

Tagsy - Will you be showering at work?

I suppose that could be the stupidest question ever posted in here considering you work in pathology at a hospital...

stevebaby said:
And you get to drink 2 bottles of Moet!
After which...you won't care what's on the bars.
Sorted.
Now we know why, before i stuck barcons on my miyata, i had Chimay corks in my bars. :D