The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. badsac

badsac New Member

Tuffs! That's what they were called. Yeah that's getting pretty close to the mark! Why don't BMX's have ball pads on them anymore? But yeah she was a great old bike. Shame my parents gave it away to my uncle who cut it up and attached it to a plough. :(

2. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Here's a tip for you lot.

I want to change my pedals from Shimano SPDR to SPD-SL at some stage. Generally changing pedals requires an adjustment to saddle height. I get on the net to find the sole to axle height for SPD-SL, no problemo. Reckon I could find it for SPDR - no fuggin way!

Eventually I stumbled across something referring to the Speedplay website having this info. They have a table comparing sole to axle or pedal stack heights between pedals, inc SPDR. So if you want to know this crap, speedplay is the place to go. Shops who do 'fitkit' position set ups have the information too apparently. FWIW I will have to put my saddle up 1.7mm according to speedplay or 2.5mm according to shimano. :D

3. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

well, if you followed in the footsteps of your dad and me, you'd be adjusting your seat height every 20km anyway, so it wouldn't matter :p

By the way, I've got four sets of SPD-SLs (3 Ultegra and one 105), and I reckon there's a tiny bit of play in the front bit of the pedals well pulling up really, unless the pedals are done right up. It happens on all the pedals, and on every set of cleats I've had

4. thunder

thunder New Member

the guy is not a bad tter/prologue rider.

It depends on what yesterday took out of his legs, and if Cancellara is not 100%, been reported he is sick.

On Fiellu:
    16 or 17, he had surgery on his leg to lengthen it, so was in a brace in the hospital for 6 months odd, while it knitted.

Brad Mcgee also has one leg shorter than the other, but probably around one centimetre difference, Feillu was a little more I think.

Great story, set his career back 2 or 3 years, but he wanted to be a pro, and foresaw the problem, so took the option of surgery.

In 2006 Worlds u23 he was second to Ciolek.

Cav came in with the main peloton. Goss dnf'ed

5. roshea

roshea Well-Known Member

6. roshea

roshea Well-Known Member

A protestor at the presentation:

[​IMG]

Are you threatening me? :eek:

[​IMG]

7. classic1

Do you like them? The old man has both the old and new models. Reckons they are both good but prefers the newer ones with the wide platform.

Actually, he preferred his old Diadora Pro Drives better but they don't make them anymore!

8. classic1

I need TP for my bunghole

9. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Oooops, I forgot about the new ones. Nah, I haven't got them.

Yeah, overall I do like mine, coz they're easy to get in and out of; the tension is easy to adjust 'on the run'; I like the rubber knobs on the cleats, which stop my foot slipping on the road when I plant it at the lights; and the float isn't slippery at all, unlike the very first Looks I had in he early '90s, which put me off clipless pedals for a few years.

Is the float on the new ones slippery?

I was gunna get some Look Classics or Sprints, but I don't like the way the axles are hollowed out to an 8mm Alen key, just to cut weight, and they have no rubber knobs on the cleats, so I thought I'd be silly enough to slip over when I put my foot down.

Then I look at the cheaper Time pedals, but there are few people on Road Bike Review who busted the front bit

10. thunder

thunder New Member

sounds like the spam I get "increase your stem by 8 millimetres" :D

11. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

So did you double your size like the advert promised?

12. classic1

ROFLMAO

13. ed073

ed073 New Member

Carey too.

Hence "The Duck".

14. classic1

Dunno, didn't ask dad that. I'm not getting them for a month or two.

15. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

Man, this thread is becoming worse than the BABE thread. :eek::p

16. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Don't be silly, this place offers insightful, witty repartee. The BABE thread just offers mindless banter. :rolleyes:

17. jock.c

jock.c New Member

You guys are like Nostra-bloody-damis!

Was doing sprints this arvo chasing cars up hills at ridiculous speeds and hurtees when the right pedal let go of my foot just as it's coming over the top of the pedal stroke. Smashed my shin into the chain and nearly went AoverT at ~60kmh. Strangely there wasn't much blood :confused:

Anyway I head for the nearest bike shops to get replacement pedals and it seems noone does standard Look style crap anymore. So I end up buying 105 SPD SLs. I can't believe how solid they feel compared to the crap I've been riding for the last too long. They even feel safe enough to put on a track bike for one-lap screamers.

But, like classic, I need to know how much to adjust the seat height by. It's probably not much but the speedplay site isn't very helpful. They seem to indicate diff is about 8mm, but it didn't feel like that much at all. Any ideas on how to find an accurate difference in seat height between SPD SL and vanilla Look pedal?

Oh yeah, remember how I said there wasn't much blood flow? The 6 little wounds were plugged with chain grease and grit and the skin flaps had glued shut on it. Had to do the Aldag dance and scrub the little fuckers clean with a toothbrush and some dettol. Highly recommended.

18. Gusboh

Gusboh New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    I can feel that from here

Perma chain tattoo?

19. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Hahaha! Yeh memories of taking to my hip with hard bristled brush in the shower! Oh the water ran red:)

Kinda funny, I asked the local doc about it and his advice stern advice was to *quote*-

"Scrub the fuck out of it":D

20. jock.c

jock.c New Member

No, but I haven't got all of the black bits out. Tweezers to be applied once they've finished sterilising.

I remember that story Jono. Gotta love an honest quack.