The Thread about Nothing....

matagi said:
I like the relatively light moderation style on this forum too, but the lack of attention to various problems here and the lack of response to messages, etc. is starting to get a touch frustrating. My personal preference would be to stay here, but if you get the busy message every second time you refresh the screen, then it starts to become a bit hard to take - yes, it was that bad today.

And the problem with the "server busy" messages that keep coming up, is that they occur when there is hardly anyone on here, so it's not a traffic issue unless Steve is using the server at the same time for something at his end which is chewing up the resources.
The usenet link probably generates an awful lot of database activity on its own.

bbp said:
Hitchyfeet? :eek: :eek: :( :rolleyes:

Oi...no need to be abusive! :D. nah, a bit different, I'm not posting a thread encouraging anyone to move!...I'm just at the stage that this joint will only let me 'in' about 1 in every 10 attempts...Nothing seems to be happening, so i'm pretty much over it....I'd prefer to stay here, but the ****er don't work no more!...anyway, when it all dies, I'm at Brians place :D

UPDATE ON BANKING CRISIS... NEWS FROM JAPAN

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and the run on HBOS in the UK , uncertainty has now hit Japan .

In the last 7 hours Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches. Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black. Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.

Crankyfeet said:
but maybe gplama or someone else tech savvy can shed light on whether the site can be sold/transferred to a different registered owner.

Yep indeed. .com.au domains are/were ruled by tightwads, but .com's should be a straight forward swap, assuming the registrant plays ball.... and playing ball usually means all you need is a valid credit card and the cooperation of the existing owner.

These are the mob who host the DNS zone for this place: http://www.cyanide.com.au Geelong by the looks. DNS is the easy part... the meat is where the server and data lie... and who 'owns' it/that/them.

The web server looks to be hosted out of Huston by this mob: http://www.theplanet.com/ The "server" may be its own hardware, or a virtual instance on something bigger. Hardware costs $. Virtual servers in theory don't cost anything, just the processing time and resources on the hardware its hosted on... which is usually rented out per Mb/month/whatever.

bbp said:
UPDATE ON BANKING CRISIS... NEWS FROM JAPAN

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and the run on HBOS in the UK , uncertainty has now hit Japan .

In the last 7 hours Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches. Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black. Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.
...and the bank of Hiroshima went out with a bang

Hitchy said:
CF owner Steve is starting to 'do my head in'...the problem with this joint being busy all the time is that you can't even send him an email to whinge about it....I'm starting to wonder whether we should explore other options?....(no that isn't a suggestion!)...anyone got any thoughts?
Ha ha ha.

What an awesome day for racing... another TAN member was spotted out at Lancefield ripping out some hurt in the Northern Combine ITT champs!

(topic change)
Anyone else see the Jesus car get tagged in the support race at Bathurst? I bet whatever came out of the drivers mouth just before the stack would have made the pope proud.

Lama

gplama said:
What an awesome day for racing... another TAN member was spotted out at Lancefield ripping out some hurt in the Northern Combine ITT champs!
If anyone tries to claim this as a southern TAN ride, I will not be responsible for my actions!

gplama said:
(topic change)
Anyone else see the Jesus car get tagged in the support race at Bathurst? I bet whatever came out of the drivers mouth just before the stack would have made the pope proud.
Nup, lost all interest in Bathurst when they went to the totally boring V8 supercar formula.

matagi said:
If anyone tries to claim this as a southern TAN ride, I will not be responsible for my actions!
Southern TAN ride tomorrow at the Hun Tour preface in Traralgon. Jono, me, maybe Wilchemy. Jono can do all the riding though.:p

I saw one of the teams this arvo when I was out for a ride. They can consider themselves damn lucky they were going the other way to me or they would have got pwn3t

matagi said:
Nup, lost all interest in Bathurst when they went to the totally boring V8 supercar formula.
Bogans arguing over who has the fastest taxi/fleet car IMO

classic1 said:
Bogans arguing over who has the fastest taxi/fleet car IMO
They should reintroduce the GTR and Cosworth Sierras back into the competition, just to remind the bogans how **** their hero cars are.

Kewl, now that Gus is back, I can do a Friday night beer report!

Sweetwater Brewing Company - Golden Ale
Quite a light and sweet ale, possibly this Summers choice quaffer if more readily available. Drank it way too fast

Sweetwater Brewing Company - Pale Ale

A decent Pale Ale with the requisite Fruit/Hop thing going on. Nicely restrained bitterness, not a bad drop.

Temple - Saison
I'm struggling every time I have this not to declare it Australias best beer.

Unibroue - Maudite
Kicked my ****, a big Belgian 8%er. Great flavour but not as complex and interesting as say the La Fin du Monde or even the Hoe GC. Flavour develops nice though as the temp drops in the glass.

Red Angus - Pilsner
Confusing beer as it tastes more like an APA than a Pils. Again, good restrained hop bitterness and easy drinking. Completely weird as it's nothing like a Pils but it is easy going.

Malt Shovel Brewery - Abbey Ale
I'm not really sure what relevance this has to abbeys or ales really. Holds it's alcohol very well, but didn't leave a lasting impression for such a potentially punchy beer. Way overpriced too at over 6 bucks a bottle. James Squire trying to be clever and not really suceeding at creating a memorable beer despite attempting to co-opt Belgian style Monkery.

Brasserie Dupont - Moinette Blonde
Another big Belgian. Really nice, unusually has a subtle hop presence and some honey/cinnamon behind the typical big Blonde 8.5% alcohol. Nice caramel presence too, and again flavours develop as the temp drops. Niiiiiiice.

classic1 said:
Southern TAN ride tomorrow at the Hun Tour preface in Traralgon. Jono, me, maybe Wilchemy. Jono can do all the riding though.:p.....
Nah, unfortunately I won't be there :(. Sorry classic, all your brilliant work in describing for me where to see the race over the first couple of stages looks to be waste of your time...

My wife has decided I have other things to fill the first few days of my holidays with instead of chasing the Hun Tour. Hoping I might get to one of the later stages now. Appreciate your efforts though - thanks. :)