The Thread about Nothing....

After doing the Mont last year we decided to give the Scott a go this year. I'd try to compare the merits of each track but my head is too clogged in dust to think. The camping sucks **** compared to the Mont. :mad:

bbp said:
So the gong ride's next week? He better be, he fought hard for an unconditional leave pass months ago.
Welcome back Gus.
So did you guys register or are you just riding? More to the point I'm tempted to try my first one if I can surprise myself by getting out of bed early enough, but I can't be arsed registering. ??
I's gotta try and get fit for the Fling in a month.
Oh and I promise not to take a natural break at Fairy Meadow this time 46. :p
I'll volunteer to call you and wake you up if you like - is 6:00am too late? :p

(I think you can sign up on the day - check the website)

Other observations.
And my irrelevant commentary

Sram stuff is really light. Damn it is ugly though.
Who woulda guessed tha Japs would have more style than the Seppos. Oh wait....

The new Campag levers feel nice but are also fugly.
Yer taste is in yer ****. They're ergonomic as hell (for a change) and are dead sexy. I might even become a Campy guy just for them.

A mate working on the Tour reckons Canadians are alright but French Canadians are bungholes.
They give the French a bad name......except for the brewers at Unibroue who are of course beyond reproach

They had a Baum MTB and road bike on display. I was shocked how light they were.
Slap a 1000 buck fork and 3000 buck cranks on anything and it will be light. The 'weight war' is a complete **** and only relevant to bankers and share traders down at the cafe sipping lattes. 1000 times more respect to the guy on a 19lb Giant handing posers their own arses.

Some of the new Volvos look ace, especially the new hatchback :eek:
Yep, they're not half bad but they're still overpriced compared to many of the Jap jobbies like Subaru. I'd still take an Outback over a XC70.

*edit* Only took me 14 hours to get this ****er to post :mad:

Thylacine said:
Other observations.
And my irrelevant commentary

The new Campag levers feel nice but are also fugly.
Yer taste is in yer ****. They're ergonomic as hell (for a change) and are dead sexy. I might even become a Campy guy just for them. No, they are fugly

They had a Baum MTB and road bike on display. I was shocked how light they were.
Slap a 1000 buck fork and 3000 buck cranks on anything and it will be light. The 'weight war' is a complete **** and only relevant to bankers and share traders down at the cafe sipping lattes. 1000 times more respect to the guy on a 19lb Giant handing posers their own arses. Nope. Stock standard Campag Chorus groupset on the road bike. It did have Lightweight wheels though. :rolleyes: Dunno what the fork was, and I know bugger all about MTBs to tell you what was on it.
Windy as buggery here today. Should be even more blowy on the grand ridge road and south gippy. The hun tour is in for a tough day IMO.

classic1 said:
Windy as buggery here today. Should be even more blowy on the grand ridge road and south gippy. The hun tour is in for a tough day IMO.

When is the HUN tour going to head west? East of the state is already covered by the Gipsland Tour. Other big races - Murry covered. Warnambool is covered. Ballarat is covered. Geelong is covered. There is a racing gap that sits smack bang on the Grampians that needs to be filled!

Lots of flat stages for the sprinters, a few bumps in the Grampians for KOM work, then mix it up into Bendigo or something.

Yesterdays TV coverage was one huge government advertisement for the area until the racing started... and IMO western Victoria needs more tourism focus than the east, they've got the snow fields already!

gplama said:
Yesterdays TV coverage was one huge government advertisement for the area until the racing started... and IMO western Victoria needs more tourism focus than the east, they've got the snow fields already!
Didn't see it as my missus didn't tape the coverage like I asked her too. :mad:

Eastern Victoria is a big area. The main tourist areas like Gippsland Lakes, Phillip Is and the Prom 100 km + from the Latrobe Valley, and the snowfields here are minor compared to Buller, Hotham etc. Tourism here in the LV is almost non-existant but there is potential for weekend getaways (national parks, power works, B&B's, Grand Ridge Road, Grand Ridge Brewery, Gourmet Deli Trail around Warragul etc).

The area still has a depressed job market and this is likely to get worse when they really start ramping up on pollution from coal fired power stations and closing shitty stations like Hazelwood.

bbp said:
So the gong ride's next week? He better be, he fought hard for an unconditional leave pass months ago.
Welcome back Gus.
So did you guys register or are you just riding? More to the point I'm tempted to try my first one if I can surprise myself by getting out of bed early enough, but I can't be arsed registering. ??
I's gotta try and get fit for the Fling in a month.
Oh and I promise not to take a natural break at Fairy Meadow this time 46. :p
Leave pass is still valid. I'll register online, but i'll probably start from tempe rather than st peters. Miss the carnage, and all the **** road at the start. Mrs is organising a picnic lunch too. Should be grouse.

Hun Tour impressions part II

Sneaking out of work to watch the start of a bike race is fun

Why do pollies and local councils thank the local koorie tribe everytime they give a speech?

Something is very wrong ...... I haven't had a single "server busy" message in the last hour.

matagi said:
Something is very wrong ...... I haven't had a single "server busy" message in the last hour.

yeah, cos you've been hoggin' the server...me on the other hands HASN"T HAD ANYTHING BUT.....Steve I'm over this, as much as it pains me, I'm gunna have to defect..I can't cope with posting on one forum & getting a reply on another...you know us blokes arent good at multi-tasking :D

"Armstrong's 58cm Pro Fit Madone was finished by Trek's own senior graphic artist Chad Bailey in a street graffiti style fitting for Armstrong, who has a place overlooking Central Park where he rides regularly in New York City."

What ****ing Universe do the wankers at cyclingnews.com live in???

HUN Tour: The tough conditions also contributed to Henk Vogels (Toyota-United), Greg Henderson (Yes Optus Shpt New Zealand), Carlo Scognamiglio (Barloworld) and Matt Rice (Jelly Belly) abandoning the race.

So is that Henks last race? No more Toyota United next year iirc, and he's getting on in years...

gplama said:
HUN Tour: The tough conditions also contributed to Henk Vogels (Toyota-United), Greg Henderson (Yes Optus Shpt New Zealand), Carlo Scognamiglio (Barloworld) and Matt Rice (Jelly Belly) abandoning the race.

So is that Henks last race? No more Toyota United next year iirc, and he's getting on in years...
There were a few comments on Sunday that he looked like he'd spent some quality time at the donut shop

Thylacine said:
"Armstrong's 58cm Pro Fit Madone was finished by Trek's own senior graphic artist Chad Bailey in a street graffiti style fitting for Armstrong, who has a place overlooking Central Park where he rides regularly in New York City."
Hmmm. Needs more stripes IMO

Very tacky looking bike.

Thylacine said:
What ****ing Universe do the wankers at cyclingnews.com live in???
The one that sucks corporate ****

gplama said:

buncha softcocks...it's farkin stage 1 fafarks sake...henderson is as soft as his missus was at the olympics...katie Mctier...she looked like she'd been eating a few macca's as well. Henk is legend, just lost the taste for hurtin'

classic1 said:
There were a few comments on Sunday that he looked like he'd spent some quality time at the donut shop
That's nothin'. I've got a pic of him in some mag from about a year ago in which he looks twice as fat as he did yesterday. :p

531Aussie said:
That's nothin'. I've got a pic of him in some mag from about a year ago in which he looks twice as fat as he did yesterday. :p
Any comments about his hairstyle or clothing choice while you're at it? :p

Thylacine said:
Any comments about his hairstyle or clothing choice while you're at it? :p
maybe he's like me: once it's thinning and receding a bit, the style options are very limited :)

531Aussie said:
maybe he's like me: once it's thinning and receding a bit, the style options are very limited :)

mate...you need to be like me....organize a 'pre-emptive' strike against the follicles & shave your head...that way you can convince yourself that you're not really bald, its a fashion statement :D

I mighta told ya's this before...a mate had been shaving his head for 25 years for the 'look'...decided to grow it back & was horrified to find out he's bald! :D