The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

Awesome!

I'm getting a pair tomorrow!

:p:cool:

2. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

I can't even begin to wrap my brain around an appropriate response to such an extreme lapse in taste. :rolleyes:

3. heinkel12

heinkel12 New Member

My English test player moment was with Frank "Typhoon" Tyson. I was about 10 and was taken to an open day at Government house in Canberra. He was guest of honor and a family friend took me up to meet him and sign my cricket book. Nice bloke. Asked me who was gonna win the next Ashes series, The Aussies or Poms. I froze but the family friend piped up and said Australia of course. I still have his autograph and I'm 38 now, heh heh.

4. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

so was Bradman; maybe not to the public, but there are plenty of stories around about how he was a complete turd to other cricketers, especially when he was on the board.

The best I can do is Jeff Thomson's autograph at the M.S. charity game a few years ago, but I wasn't a kid, so it doesn't count as much. :)

Dave Whatmore came across as a good bloke. When we were about 15, me and a mate wandered into The Albert Ground to watch the Vics train (after our Dowling training at University -- la di da :p). We blabbed on to Whatmore non-stop like a couple of dickheads while he was batting in the nets to Ian Callen and a few other super-quicks. He didn't seem to mind at all, and even kept talking and answering our inane questions as he was playing his shots. :p A couple of other tossers ignored us, but I can't remember who they were.

Man, Dowling U16s was a wake-up. Me and me mate thought we were pretty shit hot until we faced some of the fastest 16-yr-olds in the state!! Crikey! :p Some big kid palying for Footscray was a beast, as was another dude at Collingwood.

5. heinkel12

heinkel12 New Member

I met Oppy once. He was a nice old man to me but he wasn't much of a bloke when he was racing judging by a few things I've heard about him.

6. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

I'm going to pluck out both my eyes so I never have to see that image again.

7. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

Too late. The image has seared itself onto my brain forever.
    This must be what acid flashbacks are like.

8. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

I saw Dennis Lillee and Ray Bright in a trendy bar one night. They were both pissed as and Dennis was grabbing at anything in a skirt.
    Couple of days later I saw a magazine in the newsagents. Den was on the front cover, some crap about what a great family man he was.
    Met the Indian cricket team at a barbie one night. They didn't drink much, so I drank their share, so I don't remember anything scandalous about them.
    In fact, I don't remember anything much at all, apart from falling in the pool fully clothed.

9. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

Oorightfukyasthen!

But if I get shit because my shoes now match my racquet, I'm commin' after yas.

[​IMG]

10. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

a mate of dads reckons Oppy had to have cheated on that Perth-Sydney record. LOL

11. 531Aussie

HA! :) I've got a similar story about a couple of footballers at The Tunnel

12. 531Aussie

I could never figure out how Dean Woods rode that time at the Melb-Warn (5hrs 12mins), but I only just noticed that it was shorter that year: 267km. That's an average of 51.35kph!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_to_Warrnambool_Classic

13. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

I've noticed that most sports celebrities in my experience tend to become more open and social after their careers have finished. I netted with the Aussie team (as in bowled pies at them in the nets) in early season 88 before their tour of Pakistan... and Alan Border was the skipper. My mum had shown him some houses as a Real Estate agent... so I went up and introduced myself using that as a door-opener... and he hardly gave me the time of day. Wasn't outright rude... but he acted aloof and dismissively. The message was clear. I wasn't part of his "circle". Granted he probably had more important things on his mind.

Fast forward to the mid-90's and after his retirement... and I was selected to play in a composite international 8's team with him as captain and Jayasuriya, De Silva, Vaas were in the team. The Sri Lankans were still playing and had just won the World Cup...and were pretty quiet. I do have good memories of Arivinda asking me if I could teach him how to swim in the hotel pool... and the funny experience of an international sports star struggling to put his face underwater.

I suppose for AB... it was a different context compared to the previous one... but he was sociable to everybody during that tournament and spent heaps of time answering everybody, and remembering people's names. Went out of his way to include me and introduce me to the Australian players (Australia had two teams in the tournament).

Greg Chappell and Martin Crowe also seemed more sociable after retiring. I guess while they're playing they tend to have an invisible line drawn between fellow players... and the rest... and are fairly blinkered on their careers. After retiring... they may also be more reliant on "the rest" for income as well.

Nick Faldo was considered a cnut by most fellow golfers when he played... but is much more talkative and sociable since retiring it seems... if his TV commentating personality is anything to judge by.

14. 531Aussie

^ yeah, who knows what they're going through when they're playing. Possibly a bit of stress (particularly Captain Grumpy in the late '80s), or just totally sick to death of people approaching them non-stop for 10+ years

I think I might've asked you before, but who did you play for here?

15. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Absolute roaring tailwind that year.

16. heinkel12

heinkel12 New Member

Yep, there are certainly rumours that some of his record rides were a little dodgy.

17. heinkel12

heinkel12 New Member

Wind could really play havoc in those Warnies. Woodsy got the fastest time over the standard route but my old man rode one that was 9 hours!
    Remember Mockridge and Jim Taylor rode off scratch by themselves, Warnambool to Melbourne and I think rode just over 6 hours due to a tailwind. Mockridge went straight around second scratch and none got on. Bad luck if Taylor was looking for a rest!

18. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

19. gplama

gplama Well-Known Member

Farkin' hard core! "Life is free" in the music.. yes indeed... but I bet taking part in this kind of event will cost an arse load. Can't help with any advertising suggestions, I'm a snobby elitist roadie - my first thought when seeing those people crossing the line and holding up their bikes was "damn, I'd want to throw the thing off a cliff after that".

20. gplama

gplama Well-Known Member

From the Goldie Blog on CCCC's web site: