The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Riding along Sherwood Road to the Rocklea markets was a nightmare IIRC. Just a narrow laneway and a broken edge falling six inches away to gravel... and cars speeding past at 50mph. The only advantage then was that you could hear most car engines coming from about 200m away. lol.

2. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

That's good. But is it usually only the ones who can't run, or play football or cricket, who feed into cycling then? I could imagine nearly zero cyclists coming from Brisbane/QLD in the 70's. Until Chandler was built for the 1982 Commonwealth Games... there wasn't a bike track in QLD I think. IIRC... the occasional highlights of the last 100m of Phil Anderson winning a race/stage in Europe was about the limit of cycling's televised coverage in the early 80's. Except for the Commonwealth Games every four years which had some coverage (not sure about the Olympics).

They were grouse toys though like you say. Some of the blokes who rode to school had good bikes. But I don't think any of these blokes were racers... more likely just rich daddy bike snobs. lol.

I think a 5 speed rear cassette with a double on the front (10 speed) was the standard school race machine gearing of choice... but I think they had 21 speed (with a triple on the front) bikes as well. It was all about how many "gears" you had. lol.

3. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Not just in the sprint hitchy! racing round last week and it started spitting and i swear there seemed to be new crashes in c grade every lap for chrissakes, like a battlefield! Was funny, no one dropped it in A grade...

4. parawolf

parawolf New Member

There has been too many crashes this season already for the entire season.

The pre-race briefing at Glenvale on Sunday even included a safety talk that amounted to "don't sprint for 10th position"

In C-Grade it was fairly clean, until the first corner on the bell lap; some fucked up CCCC kid cut me up mid pack and if I didn't see it coming I would have either lost my front wheel with about 40 players behind me or pushed the guy next to me into the gutter and a street sign.

Gave the kid a serve saying "do that again, i fucking dare you, and i'll kick your arse". I got a little cheer from two behind me. Little turd was doing it all morning.

5. Hitchy

Hitchy New Member

I reckon it's just a matter of time before they get sued. The organizers can't escape responsibiity for everything on the basis of 'ya pay ya money, ya take ya chances' or 'racing incidents'...quite simply the course is unsafe for the numbers of inexperienced riders they are putting around it at one time....There's way to many guys that have no idea what they are doing...they get a bit of fitness up, do a couple of 'E' grade crits under control & next thing they are all in C grade...1st time something goes slightly wrong, half the field is lying on the ground...fair dinkum, next time someone brings me down cos they don't know how to ride, they're getting a smack in the mouth...I don't know why anyone takes the risk at Pt melb, there are plenty of other, safer options for your weekend crit...maybe I'm getting old, but I like my skin & my frames. As I said, it's only a matter of time I reckon till someone does some serious damage & gets hold of a 'smarty' lawyer...they might not win, but the aggro & the cost to defend it could be horrendous

6. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Finally, Ride makes it to Tamworth! :rolleyes:

Picked up a copy at the newsagent on the way home .... nice write-up on the Tephra ...... rest of the mag isn't much chop tho'.

7. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

LOL. I rode a B grade crit and Glenview and some young bloke pulled a wanker move up the inside on the corner into the back straight. I don't mind if its in the last lap and a half when people are making position and you expect it, but with 20 minutes to go it was stupid and unnecessary. Anyway, I had a go at him and he goes apeshit, calling me dickhead etc. A few blokes behind me abused the kid and I was just about to really pay out when Mick Hollingsworth scoots up and has a 'quiet word'. The kid STFU and I even got an apology. :D

8. classic1

Are you talking Glenview or St Kilda? I've raced Glenview in the pissing rain combined A-B with about 50-60 starters and it was fine.

How can you lay it down at Glenview without touching a wheel?

9. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

St kilda. people lay it down at glenvale with a pedal strike then a retarded 'oh fuck' reaction...

10. classic1

Cross post from bikeforums. The stupidest gheyest thing I have ever done to a bike.

I'll lend it to ya next time you race at St Kilda jono.

11. parawolf

parawolf New Member

Or they take turn two wide and run into the gutter (Glenview) seen that once or twice, but that isn't a 'fatal' move usually.

12. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Time for a rant.

I just made the mistake of browsing through some of the cyclist hate groups on facebook, some dumb whore wrote

You dumb piece of shit. Maybe if you slowed down you wouldn't have to swerve or run into the back of them, learn how to drive, you are the hazard for fucks sake. I think if you fail your license test first time you should be culled.

13. classic1

See a few hit the gutter on the last bend at Glenview, but mostly it was caused by poor bike handling and no brains rather than 'racing' accidents.

14. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Yeah, for the most part, I'd say, but there'd be plenty now who've made cycling their first choice, which was rare when I was young.

15. classic1

You should be only using facebook to stalk old girlfriends to see if they are still hot and worth chasing . I ignore all the other shit on there - except that I'm a member of the group 'The Ron Jeremy Appreciation Society' - the only facebook group worth joining IMHO.

16. 531Aussie

About time! Is that normal? :)

I reckon a lot of those young, impressionable kids get revved up by their grumpy, older mates, with stuff like: "rah! Don't take shit from anyone. Don't let anyone take your wheel, and if they do, farking shove them out of the way"

17. 531Aussie

He's still doing that. I saw him a couple of weeks ago on the back of one of the bunches.

18. 531Aussie

are you still sandbagging down there? :p

19. heinkel12

heinkel12 New Member

I rode with the pros from the time I was 15 so if you did something stupid you were soon told. I can remember being laughed at after turning up to a race with a bit of skin missing from a fall and being accused of racing with the amateurs!
    The boys nowdays certainly do seem to need a bit more guidance and some harder refereeing.

20. C'dale Girl

C'dale Girl New Member

I thought we already established this . . . it's become unhealthy and I may need an intervention. I haven't bathed my kids in weeks, or myself for that matter. Haven't been able to get to work . . . I just sit around the house in my pajamas, desperately by the computer, waiting for and lingering on every word. :rolleyes:

You guys need to make up your mind. It's the same schtick everytime, and quite overused and overplayed. If I respond to one of you, that must mean I'm hot for you. What's the matter . . . don't you guys get any attention from real live women in the flesh there in Oz? :eek:

(Now here come the unsubstantiated, conclusory comments about how you guys have to beat the chicks off with a stick and how I'm apparently so hard up and butt ugly. :rolleyes: It's like living the movie Groundhog Day . . .)

:D