The Thread about Nothing....

matagi said:
Wash your mouth out!

2001 is one of the few Kubrick movies I actually enjoy ..... yes, I'm watching it.:D

PS. I am told the viewing experience is somewhat enhanced if one uses certain mind-altering substances. Unfortunately, I am unable to confirm the veracity of this statement.
I'm medicated most of the time and self-medicated at the moment and it didn't improve the viewing experience.

classic1 said:
I'm medicated most of the time and self-medicated at the moment and it didn't improve the viewing experience.
Yeh, grunto is high on life:p

531Aussie said:
maybe you can explain the ending to me :)
OK so,
the star child is born
(that's Dave after he dies)
and turns towards earth
the earth in turn launches a volley of nuclear warheads at the star child(Dave) which explode harmlessly.
The star child contemplates the future of the planet and mankind....:eek:

I quite enjoyed Arthur C Clarke, until I found out he went to Taprobane (now Sri Lanka) to indulge his predilections. I understand Prince Charles still likes him.

For my money Kubrick's best is Dr Strangelove and then Barry Lyndon.

Since 10 September we've been repairing our servers and upgrading, :mad: tonight at long last we got software raid running on a couple of cloned hard disks and were able to be drbd running again :Dso we are back to normal :p indeed better than before - yeah.:D:D All this with no downtime to mention, but long hours on the weekends.:rolleyes:

46kgToDate said:
OK so,
the star child is born
(that's Dave after he dies)
and turns towards earth
the earth in turn launches a volley of nuclear warheads at the star child(Dave) which explode harmlessly.
The star child contemplates the future of the planet and mankind....:eek:
:
Woah!! Heavy! So it's the rebirth of mankind, or some **** like that? :)

46kgToDate said:
For my money Kubrick's best is Dr Strangelove and then Barry Lyndon.
Yeah, Dr Strangelove is my other pick ..... as for the rest, I'm a bit meh.

Jono... it's obvious why you won. You used Ibuprofen didn't you... and concentrated more on riding your bike in training instead of spending most of your energies on the recovering. You are fortunate to be able to get unbelievable advice on this forum. Especially from the middle-aged US weekend cyclists. They may not have raced or picked up a bike until they were 40... but their pure American intellect and their research into cycling training and benefits of substance aids can help other cyclists from not-so-gifted countries like Australia.

I'm currently emphasizing the riding of my bike in training now that I know it is "king" and am already seeing massive benefits. I can't believe that an American who is telling us he played college sports 25 years ago... would be on the internet dispensing this advice for free. Many Americans I've noticed just give... and give... for nothing.
biggrin.gif

Jono_L said:
I think the point may be that, yes they do slow recovery. BUT, it is a trade off between pain and recovery. I'm thinking in NFL you'd take a 5% decreased recovery for 10% less pain or something of the like.

In cycling, however, recovery is king.
tonyzackery said:
I'll agree to disagree with this statement. In cycling, training (riding your bike) is king. Recovery is very important but you have to perform the activity (intense training in the correct amounts) to even get to a state of needing to recover from the adaptation stimulus. Sporadic use of NSAIDS allow me to complete the number of L5 intervals for that day rather than throw in the towel from the pain. If you can complete as many Vo2 max intervals as you want on any given day without taking anything - more power to you.

The study I've read that proposes recovery is slowed was equivocal, IMO. Personally, I do not experience a slowed recovery response.

Is anyone else on facebook? I've been on there for a few weeks...and have found people I haven't seen since primary school. It's great for greasing up the communication paths for people like me who aren't the best at keeping in touch with friends (or even knowing where they are located).

Also 49 chicks from around the world who've rated me as "hot"... one of which (Susie) even looks like she may not be a washed up hooker. lol.

Susie
1053654293-final-633601021517641405.gif

Message (Crankyfeet to Susie. lol): "You are too good looking to be available Susie. You have Movie Star good looks. You've made my day with your "hot" vote. Thanks."

[btw... my pathetic suck-up lines with the opposite sex are probably the reason why I am currently using the internet to converse with strange women. lol]

Message (reply from Susie, can you believe this facebook?)
: "That's very sweet of you to say, but I am single, which is fine with me....lol"

Wait!!... I've just got an even better admirer. Vilma from Denmark thinks I'm cute.

Vilma
579537776-final-633620530942816250.jpg

ROFL....the quote on my desktop calendar this morning..."come to think of it, there are already a milion monkeys on a million typewriters - & usenet is nothing like shakespeare" - Blair Boughton. ...methinks he means TAN!! :D

Okay... I think I better give this game up. The ones who think I'm hot either look like this (which is obviously a sample picture taken out of one of those picture frames for sale in department stores)

Sabi
1618244235-final-633624452931410000.jpg

Or they look like this... (Lorraine.. 59... from Norway)

n676360893_3222.jpg

Heck... this is getting worse.... Prith... a ghey from India is now telling me I'm hot.
mad.gif

He doesn't even know that I don't like kissing guys with moustaches or eating tandoori chicken. lol.

1342173039-final-633624325033910000.jpg

Nah... it's just those dry chicken breast chunks cooked in a tandoori oven with that orange chili powder all over it. It was just a metaphor for living in India.

And I think I'm older than classic... so the "kidspeak" is a little difficult for me to understand as well... let alone to say.

BTW... as this will greatly affect my ability to survive my Austraya re-culture-fication - Can I get a golden gheytime still in Oz?

Also the ice block of the same name was really nice as well. Is that still sold?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Oi Crankyfeet I think you need to start a 'Crankyfoot: Stories from the tragic years' thread as this stuff isnt TAN material lol
eek.gif

Geoff Vadar said:
Oi Crankyfeet I think you need to start a 'Crankyfoot: Stories from the tragic years' thread as this stuff isnt TAN material lol
eek.gif
That title doesn't make any sense I don't think. It's as equivalently redundant as the title :

"Collingwood FC : Stories from the Non-Premiership Winning Years"

lol.

Crankyfeet said:
And I think I'm older than classic... so the "kidspeak" is a little difficult for me to understand
]
don't let his behaviour fool you; he's older than he comes across, kinda like me, another man-child :p

531Aussie said:
don't let his behaviour fool you; he's older than he comes across, kinda like me, another man-child :p
I'm guessing he's about 37-38. I'm exactly 39-75.

And continuing to ride on...and get excited by... push-bikes after the age of 11 does not a man-child make IMHO. Being online as much as Cranky is... gives you a really good shot at being one though.
biggrin.gif

Crankyfeet said:
Being online as much as Cranky is... gives you a really good shot at being one though.
biggrin.gif
That sounds to me more like someone who doesn't like his Seppo mates and neigbours, or his missus' Seppo mates, so he'd rather hide in the study and talk to his computer :p