The Thread about Nothing....

classic1 said:
Right now. I'm gonna race down to KFC to get a bucket of chicken.

Does anyone know who Will Walker is riding for in 09? I've seen reports that he is riding for Rock Racing (ugh) or the team that was formerly Saunier Duval (ugh).

.....the latter...'Fuji' something or other. When I saw the name I thought "geez, why has he signed for some 2nd rate, pro continental team"? (or whatever they're called these days)...but they've got the Saunier duval pro tour licence....& Bettini

classic1 said:
Racing 300km does not equal racing a crit. I know a few blokes whose arses I could kick week in week out in club racing who could finish Warnies top 5 off second or third scratch. I'd have been lucky to get to Colac or Camperdown (or Mt Moriac!). Whole different kettle of fish, especially when it was a handicap and they had to flog out turns for 260 odd kms.

In the olden days (well early 90's and earlier) it was big miles that would get you through a Warnie. I know of blokes who would get a 10 hour ride in a few weeks out from it, or have 1000 mile weeks. Footscray were know to hold 100 mile club races late in the road season as a Warnie warm up.

There also used to be plenty of long lead up races. Vic Road title (200km) was normally September, Melbourne to Yarrawonga was 270km, Melbourne to Shepparton, Australian Pro Road titles, Patties Tour in the early 90's. They even revived the Lakes Entrance to Dandenong (300km) once or twice in the late 80's.

Not much has changed...still need a base of big miles to get through 'warnie'...back off the miles with about 3 weeks to go & then do a bit of overspeed work. The biggest secret with a 'warnie' is hope that some peckerheads get off the front early, so ya don't have to sprint every 5 kms to stay 'on'. Training for 'warnie' is actually harder than doing it, as it should be...just don't get dropped too early. Once you settle into a bunch that's about your ability, it's pretty cruisy to the finish....except for the last 2km when the blokes that have sat on the back for the last 90 km wanna sprint for 53rd place!....You'd do it comfortably Nev (with the right lead up)...just can't afford to think about how far it is & how long you're gunna be sitting in the saddle...oh & wear your comfyiest knicks...my **** was numb for 3 days :D

531Aussie said:
Yeah, I know, but still, it makes ya wonder. You were more of a sprinter/trackie, weren't ya? Wrong? I've got no idea if I'd be good over the longer stuff or not. My longest ride in my whole life was about 150km. :p
Nope. Roadie when I raced. A skinny 69kg whippet in good form. Too young to give it a big crack though when I raced properly. No mature strength and didn't have the stamina.

Geoff Vadar said:
Wash your mouth out. Maturity is so overrated. I tried it once and [it] (sic, maybe?) was fully ghey.
:D
Farked if I know what track cycling's got to do with the Warny. Even/especially if you're talking about the blokes who can win a sprint out of a small bunch after 300km.
One good reason it's cool , and for you to love it, and why you're seriously getting me interested in growing some balls, is simply because it's the worlds longest one day race (um, except for all those other longer one day races, with the beards and the woollen downtube shifters and ****... randomaneurs? whatever) and therefore worthy of much respect and thusly quite good to have on your resume. So, 2010 GV?

So is it NYE resol's time?
  • By April 2009 loose 20 more kg in time for 50th
  • 2009 Century Ride the 110k option
  • 2009 Loop the Lake
  • October 2009 ? ATB 250k option
  • Nov 2009 Gong ride in reasonable time
  • Dec 2009 Milford + Routeburn (the Classic) with my daughter (finishes HSC 2009)
  • Some time in 2010 Alp D'huez
http://www.frenchcyclingholidays.com/sport/legendarycols.html?gclid=CMKboYzFs5cCFQv7agodjkTJjw
I know its only 18k but its a special 18k.

Hey 'vette
My brother in law carried on after we did the Milford last month to do that Rail trail ride in Central Otago. He said it was hard work and had some shocking weather. Sounded like a lot of fun though.Have you had any reports?

Fark. The missus just caught me with my American Classic back hub rooting around on the web doing spoc calcs. Woops. 'That looks new'. 'No luv, I brought it yonks ago'. I didn't have the heart to tell her I've got a pair of Campag rims in the shed, saved for a rainy day to build the hub into. :D

Just gotta sneak the spokes in the house and get a 10s Campag cassette. :p

bbp said:
:D
Farked if I know what track cycling's got to do with the Warny. Even/especially if you're talking about the blokes who can win a sprint out of a small bunch after 300km.
Well it just does lol. You have to be able to get over the top of a big gear for a longgggggggg time up the straight. If a good roadie with solid track experience is sitting on the back of a small bunch coming into that straight they will smack you everytime IMO. Hitchy and Grunto may disagree.

bbp said:
you're seriously getting me interested in growing some balls, is simply because it's the worlds longest one day race therefore worthy of much respect and thusly quite good to have on your resume. So, 2010 GV?
Good. More interstaters should roll up. Its a great day. To be honest bbp i dont know if i have enough toilet paper to last me to the end of the week let alone where i will be in 2010. I could quite seriously be in cambodia or iran. But if I am around you can bet your bottom dollar I will do a warnie. And if i can do it when you plan to do it then i will.

classic1 said:
Ha ha. Just about any nurse will tell you a story of someone coming into casulty with something wedged up their blurter, normally with a story of 'I fell over in the shower'. A woman I know tells one of a bloke coming in with a Trix bottle stuck up his bum. What made it worse was that it was the father of a friend of hers.
As campybob once said "Never use cosmoline as an anal lubricant."

Hey Nev, would you tell those idiots at BF that those figures you post on wheels are for a speed of 50km/h. They keep banging on that "i'll save 15watts' or 'That's a 10% improvement', totally forgetting that they can't ride solo at 50km/h for more than a few seconds because they're physically not capable. Dumbarses.

Geoff Vadar said:
Well it just does lol. You have to be able to get over the top of a big gear for a longgggggggg time up the straight. If a good roadie with solid track experience is sitting on the back of a small bunch coming into that straight they will smack you everytime IMO. Hitchy and Grunto may disagree.
I disagree. Sprinting after a long road race can be as much about who has strength and the freshest legs as it is about 'speed'.

classic1 said:
I disagree. Sprinting after a long road race can be as much about who has strength and the freshest legs as it is about 'speed'.
Mehhh no one has has fresh nothing at the end of a warnie im guessing. A whole bunch of muscle memory going on though - if you got experienced track legs with a long kick your well placed IMO. But hey im just learning :) I will defer to your 'oracle' like knowledge.

Cookie sticks it to Brown re next weeks track event hehe...

Cookie Monster said:
"Hopefully Graeme is not too erratic. If he can ride a reasonably straight line that would be a positive. We all know how to throw a hook but there's no need to put people's lives in danger."
That ought to fire him up hehe.

classic1 said:
Hey Nev, would you tell those idiots at BF that those figures you post on wheels are for a speed of 50km/h. .
Yeah, I forgot that bit, but someone else put it on there. It's now there in bold letters. :)

I reckon the 'benefits' of 50mm or 60mm aero wheels compared to regular wheels is probably the new 'biggest myth' in cycling. Some of them blokes bang on as if they're getting a 4 to 5kph speed increase with their 404s :p

classic1 said:
A skinny 69kg whippet in good form. .
Were you fully grown then? If so, that's tough to fathom, coz I think I'm the same height as you (182cm), and I've never been below about 77 since I was 13! :D

46kgToDate said:
Hey 'vette
My brother in law carried on after we did the Milford last month to do that Rail trail ride in Central Otago. He said it was hard work and had some shocking weather. Sounded like a lot of fun though.Have you had any reports?
I know a few folks that have ridden all or part of the trail. One of my colleagues recently did part of the trail with her hubby and kids, and apart from an off on day one for one of the jimmers it was all good.

Your bro must have hit the same weather that nailed the Tour of Southland.

770381.jpg

Weather aside, everyone I know that has ridden the rail trail has really loved it.

Geoff Vadar said:
Matagi - first ever race? enough of this fairy girl touring charity ride poxxy poofta rubbish cafe lartay oo la la getup.
I'll have to go back and check your old posts for appropriate responses to the "when are you going to race?" question. ;) :p

And I can honestly say I have never ridden my bike to a coffee shop for a caffe latte - maybe that should be my goal for 2009. :D

"Tom Boonen used not only cocaine but also the party drug Ecstasy, according to the Gazet van Antwerpen."

She's a naughty girl with a bad habit, Bad habit for drugs. She's a party girl with a bad habit, Bad habit for drugs. Ecstasy Ecstasy E-E-E-E-Ecstasy

classic1 said:
Hey ma, I had some xrays taken yesterday after a really wild Saturday night. What do you make of them?

broken_boner.jpg

cockbone.jpg
coke-bottle-x-ray.jpg

ouch.jpg
Has anyone else ever laughed so much while eating that food went into their sinuses?

Inner Peace

I am passing this on to you because it definitely worked for me and we all could use more calm in our lives.

By following the simple advice I heard on a Medical TV show, I have finally found inner peace.

A Doctor proclaimed the Way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started.

So I looked around my house to see things I'd started and hadn't finished and before leaving the house this morning, I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a Bottle of shhhardonay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of vocka, a pockage of prunglies, tha mainder of bot Prozic and Valum scriptins, the res of the chesescke an a box a chocolets. Yu haf no idr who gud I fel.

Peas sendis orn to dem yu fee AR in ned ov inr pece.
As you can see, it is a busy day at work today. :D :p