The Thread about Nothing....

classic1 said:
Wrong. Your argument re: Riis having it in the bag on first day in the mountains does not hold any water. Indurain was red hot favourite. When he cracked nobody knew who would win overall. Berzin was yellow jersey on the day of migs collapse, not Riis.

Hautacam wasn't until the third week of the Tour. Indurain wasn't completely out of the picture until the following day to Pamplona when he was distanced on the big Pyreene stage. Finally, Riis cracked in the final TT and only beat Ullrich by 1.40 overall.
I'm not sure that I've heard "cracked" used to describe bronchitis before...

During the race noone knew what was going to happen during the Alps... Later on it was a little more obvious. After the Tour finished and using hindsight and re-watching videos it was like a cat toying with an injured mouse.

Where was Riis on that first big mountain stage where Big Mig faultered? Sitting on Olano's wheel as Berzin died a thousand deaths to hold on. Riis was always a **** time trialist which is why he got worked over the day after but that didn't stop him from tearing Berzin a new asshole on the shortened stage to Sestriere where he just rode away from everyone - just like he would when he won the big mountain stage in the pyrenees a week later. Riis gifted the stage to Pamplona to another rider... again, they rode away from the field.

I don't know why you say he "cracked" in the last time trial. He finished top 5 and was never the best in that discipline anyway. A month or so later Riis had his **** handed to him on a plate by Boardman in the GP des Nations by about 6 minutes... and that was over the same distance as that final time trail. But, since that time trial was right at the end of the Tour and Riis was getting time checks we'll never know how hard Riis was actually riding.

531Aussie said:
^ Jee, that took longer than I expected -- and you even broke you new "I don't post on here no more whilst at work, since the fat, ugly chick in the next cubicle dobbed me in to the supervisor" rule :D
No ****, really?

swampy1970 said:
No ****, really?
Hey, do you use Powercranks? What's that like? Some of the stuff that Frank Day guy says is outrageous (40% gains?!!), and the 'exchanges' he was with that Crowley dude and a couple of other guys are ****-funny :p

Anna Meares on "ONE" evening sporty entertainment show... The quiz...

- What cycling event was first introduced to Beijing in 2008? (That'd be the event that killed the kilo Anna!)... Anna: *blank*... needed audience help to answer it...!

- What is the term used to describe a rider who has run out of energy? Anna "oh, hunger flat!"... MC, "er, I have bonked".

lols.

Jono you dog,

reconnoitering and scouting for talent
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25376449-2862,00.html

Thai women 'caught in Melbourne sex slave scheme'
Article from: Font size:DecreaseIncreaseEmail article:EmailPrint article:print
Shelley Hadfield
April 23, 2009 07:44pm
A THAI woman who claims to have been caught up in a sex slave scheme sent $32,000 to Thailand while under a contract in Melbourne, a court has heard.

Prosecutor Daniel Gurvich told the Supreme Court earlier this week that five women came to Australia under contracts to service 650 to 750 men to repay a debt for their passage to Melbourne and the opportunity to earn money.

Four men are on trial facing slavery-related offences.

James Montgomery, SC, representing Ho Kam Ho, told jurors that the main issue in the trial was whether the women were slaves. He said that when jurors looked at a whole series of factors they could not possibly convict his client of slavery offences.

He told the court that one of the women sent $31,900 to Thailand during her four- to five-month contract period.

On Wednesday, Mr Gurvich said Jono Lovelock, 19, Kam Tin Ho, 40, Ho Kam Ho, 38, Chee Fui Hoo, 42, and Slamet Edy Rahardjo, 53, were each accused of playing a part in a sophisticated and well-planned scheme to bring Thai woman to Australia and profit from their willingness to work for minimal reward in the sex industry.

Defence counsel John Dickinson, SC, urged jurors to use their heads not their hearts.
He said the case involved sex, prostitution, brothels and allegations of slavery, "all of which can excite a reaction in most normal people''.

Mr Dickinson, representing Kam Tin Ho, said the ultimate question for jurors to decide was whether the women were slaves.

"The prosecution says the relationship is slave owner to slave - or is it contractor/sub-contractor, employer and employee, or some other categorisation that is not slave owner and slave,'' Mr Dickinson said.

Mr Gurvich told jurors during his opening address that the five women came to Australia on contracts, under which they had to service 650 to 750 men to repay a debt for their passage to Melbourne and the opportunity to earn money.

He said there were strict controls over many aspects of the women's lives and their passports were taken from them while they worked off their debt.

But Mr Dickinson said claims that the women had their movements restricted and passports taken from them were issues in the trial.

Jim Bisas, representing Mr Hoo, said his client was a driver or gofer for two of the women but he disputed that he possessed or used them as slaves.

He said there was a dispute that he played any intentional or active part in a scheme to bring Thai women to Australia to work for minimal reward in the sex industry or that he had knowledge of debt arrangements into which they entered.

Leonard Hartnett, representing Mr Rahardjo, of Maroubra in New South Wales, said his client was not charged with engaging in a scheme but entering into a commercial transaction involving a slave.

Mr Hoo, of Burnside Heights, is charged with two counts of possessing a slave and one of using a slave.

Kam Tin Ho, of East Doncaster, is charged with five counts of possessing a slave, four of using a slave, one of entering into a commercial transaction involving a slave and four offences of structuring cash transactions.

Ho Kam Ho, of East Doncaster, is charged with four counts of possessing a slave, four of using a slave, one of entering into a commercial transaction involving a slave and one of structuring cash transactions.

The men have pleaded not guilty.

The trial before Justice Philip Cummins continues next week

WARNING: (another) ANTI-CARBON RANT !! :D

Another bargain of a carbon frame here :p

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=533749

I don't get the "it's ALL ok; it's under warranty" thing, coz it seems to happen too often.

It's all grouse and groovy that someone gets their frame replaced, but there appears to me to be a 'turnover vibe' about carbon (especially on BF) which goes like this: you pay big money; get a super-light 'performance' frame; get a long warranty; maybe crack it through normal use; then get another one. How many times would ya wanna do this, after forking out top dollar, before ya decided it was a total pain in the ****? You've gotta go through all the **** of making a warranty claim, be without a bike for a while, then (most people would have to) probably pay someone to rebuild the new bike.

Must be nice to have money.

Metal rules!! :p I'm a big fat masher who's been thrashing, crashing an gutter hopping aluminium for nearly 10 years, and I've only cracked one alu frame, which was a cheap-**** Specialized Allez Comp.

IMG_4585.jpg

531Aussie said:
Hey, do you use Powercranks? What's that like? Some of the stuff that Frank Day guy says is outrageous (40% gains?!!), and the 'exchanges' he was with that Crowley dude and a couple of other guys are ****-funny :p
Yeah, I've got a set. When you first get them its a fecking nightmare but you get used to them. 40% is a bit steep - but I guess when your major clientelle is a bunch of triatheletes who can't pedal for jack, who knows what to expect. Going from 250 watts to 350 is 40% and if you're taking a guy who's pretty new on the bike or has never stayed on a good training plan for a period of time then gains like that are possible, I guess.

I just tried them cause they sounded interesting and they came with a 'no questions asked' 90 day money back guarantee... If more kit came with that kind of offer then I might try out more stuff.

I'm seeing consistantly better numbers on the powertap and I'm getting less ITB and back issues than I used to get when I rode on regular cranks all the time. My quads don't get 'as fried' either.

I know from lung function tests every 3 months that my breathing aint getting better (slightly worse actually) but my power numbers keep going up. Something is getting more efficient somewhere. Is it due to the cranks? I don't know... but while I'm seeing improvement I'm not gonna change it.

I'm sure that Crowley guy lives in a little cave somewhere in Ireland, with a bunch of leprechauns for room mates. I met Frank last year up at The DeathRide, up in the mountains near Lake Tahoe where Powercranks had a booth. He's actually a pretty interesting and knowledgable guy... and he seems to know a bunch about old bike stuff too.

Unity and harmony over in the Lotto camp..... not...

"Before the race he told us he was not doing well, but during the race he said he was fine," Gilbert said to sporza.be.

In the finale the team rode for Evans, "but we knew that he was not good enough to win. It is not easy for us to have a leader who does not know what he wants."

A Pohm living in Yankaria?
Ya shoulda come here intead -- it's much better, but bikes are really expensive :D

531Aussie said:
A Pohm living in Yankaria?
Ya shoulda come here intead -- it's much better, but bikes are really expensive :D
I'm not sure that my Californian wife would like living down under. She likes the "Outback Steakhouse" that we have in town with the boomerangs all over the place but I'm not sure that uprooting house 'n home is on the cards anytime soon.

Bikes are pretty cheap here, especially if you don't mind last years model. The local bike shop has a couple of Cannondale CAAD 5 frames for a couple of hundred dollars and some CAAD 7's for about 3 pence more. If I could hang with that slack ass seat angle (72.5 degree in the 60cm size) then I'd buy a couple.

Cyclists here are damn fashion victims I tell ya. I thought I was slowly getting some nice stuff together with the Dura Ace 7800 stuff (couldn't afford **** when I used to race - all hand me downs and whatever was on sale) but you blast past the local clubrun out here and the guys have Zipp wheels, Zipp carbon cranks, ceramic bearings up the yin/yang and Zero Gravity brakes....

It makes me wanna have a framebuilder in England who has some old 531 tubing in stock, build me up a frame and put together a bike with all my old **** - Shimano 105 7 speed rear mech and levers, malliard 7 speed block on ancient Campag Victory hubs and Omega V rims, Cinelli bars and 1A stem and Time criterium pedals and then drop the bastards on the hills going out of town and that's with the 14 gallon beer gut.

I still have an original pair of white look pedals somewhere - a la Hinault in 1985 - but the bearings in those are 'more shot' than the bearings in the Time pedals. How much more square could they be? And the answer is none, none more square.

Does that chick in Spinal Tap really look like an Australian nightmare?

swampy1970 said:
Bikes are pretty cheap here, especially if you don't mind last years model. The local bike shop has a couple of Cannondale CAAD 5 frames for a couple of hundred dollars and some CAAD 7's for about 3 pence more. If I could hang with that slack ass seat angle (72.5 degree in the 60cm size) then I'd buy a couple.

****, do they have any 56cm or 57cm frames?

Outback steak house, California. Bwahahahahahaha :D

That's gunna be about as Australian as Disneyland is a true representation of American culture.