The Thread about Nothing....

bbp said:
This one was a wipperman 9spd. But it was getting old.
The last one I broke that led to the sad drowning of the Gary Fisher was definitely just an ancient junk one though, so I can't really blame my MASSIVE POWER™ output :cool:
Hmmm, I see.

By the way, I don't like connector links coz I once had one come undone during a freak sequence of bumps, gear changing, turning, and perving, so I don't wanna rsik it again.

Apart from that, the only 'real' chain I've had come undone was an 8sp Shimano I didn't connect properly. I think, for memory, I farked it up by pushing the connector pin in wat too far, then pushed it back the other way, which I don't think you're supposed to do.

gplama said:
That hurt my head. Imagine the stress on the headset. Fark! I'll stick to my 'old school' TT bike for now :)
Ha! :) Didn;t they figure out years ago that, if anythink, the top-tube is the one main tube that could be done without? Also, I remember someone doing a frame with a thick cable in place of the down tube

bwahahahahahaha

3297750303_de0df15c89.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketbeagle/3297750303/in/set-72157613404783057/

I dunno how I missed this one before.

bbp said:
Snapped another chain last night. Lucky for me it snapped two links from the quicklink, so backtrack to pick it up, wiggle the link open, wind it back around, and minus a gear or two I was away again quick smart.
Hang on what's that godawful noise? Maybe I somehow bent the derailleur? Looks ok. Muck around with the barrel adjusters for a while, nup.
**** what have I done?
It finally dawns on me when I'm looking down stopped at a red light (whodathunk?) that I've gone outside the cage with the chain at one of the pulleys. D'oh :eek:
Erm...I spent about 3 hours trying to get the fixed cup of an old B/B out. Penetrating oil,cheater bar, heat...nuthin' worked.Even tried to cut it out with a hacksaw...fail.
The phrase "Left hand thread" never occurred to me.
I've only done it a dozen times or so...Der!
:eek:

stevebaby said:
Erm...I spent about 3 hours trying to get the fixed cup of an old B/B out. Penetrating oil,cheater bar, heat...nuthin' worked.Even tried to cut it out with a hacksaw...fail.

lol

531Aussie said:
Ha! :) Didn;t they figure out years ago that, if anythink, the top-tube is the one main tube that could be done without? Also, I remember someone doing a frame with a thick cable in place of the down tube
That would be the old "slingshot" pieces of ****.
477413591_bcee49d14e.jpg

ALL CLEAR!!!
Colorectal appt today
despite having the sort of polyp that "always turns into cancer" (his words)
and it being absolutely huge and therefore quite old (also his comforting words)
the pathology dissection showed no sign oif the big C
Yay! TBTG:D:D:D:D:D

NOW
all you silly buggers over 40 who haven't had a colonoscopy
go out and get one!!!!
its one days inconvenience - that could save your life
I'm on yearly ones now!:eek:

stevebaby said:
I'm so glad that there's the Pacific Ocean between you guys and my bike... :p

Wilchemy said:
That would be the old "slingshot" pieces of ****.
477413591_bcee49d14e.jpg
I wonder if some of the folk who have been daft enough to buy one of those ever thought of trying to save more weight and use the gear cables to double as the downtube. ;)

I really like how they put the brake levers so high that you can't reach them from the anatomic parts of the drops... I see the guy who put that bike together has the same "smarts" as the guy that designed the frame.

... and what does happen if that cable snaps - does it litterally turn into a slingshot, ejecting the rider as if he was sat in James Bond's passenger seat in his trust old Aston Martin?

46kgToDate said:
ALL CLEAR!!!
Colorectal appt today
despite having the sort of polyp that "always turns into cancer" (his words)
and it being absolutely huge and therefore quite old (also his comforting words)
the pathology dissection showed no sign oif the big C
Yay! TBTG:D:D:D:D:D

NOW
all you silly buggers over 40 who haven't had a colonoscopy
go out and get one!!!!
its one days inconvenience - that could save your life
I'm on yearly ones now!:eek:
That's great news! You're a lucky man - big polyps are usually (but not always) associated with cancer.

I'm sometimes amused (and often a little horrified) by the way some doctors deliver news to their patients. Sure, statistics tell us that big polyp=cancer in 9 out of 10 people but that doesn't mean it applies to the person sitting in front of you and one should always be circumspect when delivering a potentially bad diagnosis until one has definitive confirmation.

Need a little help... can anyone give me info on Anatomic bikes (Dr Spokes QLD). In particular their black and white frame (centre pic) in their gallery.

Cheers

classic1 said:
I was trying to find a nice way of saying "you are going to die" but I think I failed.

I'd also like to jump in in defence of the Slingshot. I rode one off-road for a number of years (fully rigid, mind you), and it had some characteristics that were weird but pretty nice.

Not sure how you go from "weird but pretty nice" to actually making 1000's of them, but there ya go.

swampy1970 said:
I wonder if some of the folk who have been daft enough to buy one of those ever thought of trying to save more weight and use the gear cables to double as the downtube. ;)
?
Yeah, that'd be fun: each down-shift on the right would twist the bike to the right, and vice versa :)

I am absolutely disgusted :( ................

they mentioned cricket on the Footy Show! :eek:

This cross contamination of television programs has to stop! :mad:

stevebaby said:
Brilliant! Remove the downtube to save weight, then add twice as much over the front wheel and stress the join at the toptube and seattube. Now that's really thinking "outside the box"!

The builder of that thing should be put back in the box with Simon Adebisi for company.
I think the designer of that bike was hittin' the crack pipe too hard whilst looking at pictures of the rather nice Bimotta Tesi motorbike...

::dom:: said:
Need a little help... can anyone give me info on Anatomic bikes (Dr Spokes QLD). In particular their black and white frame (centre pic) in their gallery.

Cheers

Dunno about that specific frame Dom, but Ride tested an Anatomic a couple of years ago and gave it a bit of a rap. It had dimpled Columbus Scandium tubing filled with some kind or reinforcing foam.