The Thread about Nothing....

swampy1970 said:
Sweet.

So it'd make a nice wall mount, but after being thrashed around Europe by the pros I'd steer well fecking clear of it with regards to riding. I've seen the same model frame as that mysteriously unglue itself in the back of a car... The irony, my friend who owned the Alan bought me a cool expoy set to glue my Vitus 979 back together should it fail me.

Another thing about Tommasini - he rode a custom one piece bar/stem combo that year.

A mate of dads rode the Sun Tour that year and brought two or three of the Alans off the wogs that rode. All C-Record, 2 x aluminuim and 1 x carbon IIRC. He ended up breaking all of them. :D

Another mate of dads used to import Vitus frames. The back of his warehouse looked like the place where all Vitus' went to die. :D

He imported a couple of Vitus BMX frames too. Must be rare as hens teeth now.

swampy1970 said:
, my friend who owned the Alan bought me a cool expoy set to glue my Vitus 979 back together should it fail me.
OH..........MY............FARGIN...........GORD!!! :p

Hmm, the words 'steer clear' spring to mind :)

swampy1970 said:
Sweet.

So it'd make a nice wall mount,..........
when he got the frame at the shop, he goes to me (with a kinda excited look on his face): "this Alan was ridden in The Tour." Two days later, after Classical set me straight, I had to tell the shop dude that it was 'only' rid in The Giro :)

swampy1970 said:
For that much you could buy a power tap, some spankycranks (PowerCranks) and many many many cases of beer and still pop out 350 watts an hour...

:p

I only train 2 times a week and only have 6 weeks till my bgi race, so no time for spankycranks for me:D

swampy1970 said:
Sweet.

So it'd make a nice wall mount, but after being thrashed around Europe by the pros I'd steer well fecking clear of it with regards to riding. I've seen the same model frame as that mysteriously unglue itself in the back of a car... The irony, my friend who owned the Alan bought me a cool expoy set to glue my Vitus 979 back together should it fail me.
The bloke who told me about them coming unstuck had one. He noticed a problem with shifting...turned out it was the chainstay coming loose. He put a pop rivet through it and rode it for 6 months before he epoxied it back together, then he sold it for peanuts.
And has been kicking himself ever since.

stevebaby said:
The bloke who told me about them coming unstuck had one. He noticed a problem with shifting...turned out it was the chainstay coming loose. He put a pop rivet through it and rode it for 6 months before he epoxied it back together, then he sold it for peanuts.
And has been kicking himself ever since.

Well, if he wants the experience the feeling, he could just let go of the handlebars while having a sprint.

I think the colloquialism is "Doing an Alan".

Thylacine said:
Well, if he wants the experience the feeling, he could just let go of the handlebars while having a sprint.

I think the colloquialism is "Doing an Alan".

What about 'St Vitus' dance' ?

classic1 said:
953dce18922455b72914e9eb20572543.jpg

I need your help guys

I went out for dinner last night and ordered a chicken dish instead of steak

Am I turning ghey?

classic1 said:
I need your help guys

I went out for dinner last night and ordered a chicken dish instead of steak

Am I turning ghey?
Hmmm...a quick test of "gheyness" is required here.
Which of these pics appeals to you the most?
Pic A?
http://monsterfresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Bruno-cage-fight-flyer.jpg

Or Pic B?
http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/bw_bruno_baby_no_logo.jpg

And do you use any "male skin care product" other than lithium grease?
On your face that is.

classic1 said:

No you're confusing that with the R-sys Dance. You know, the one you do on your a(rs)e.

It's "praying at the porcelain altar of St.Vitus".

Thylacine said:
No you're confusing that with the R-sys Dance. You know, the one you do on your a(rs)e.

Which should under no circumstance be confused with the safety dance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcOZ6xFxJqg"]YouTube - Safety Dance- Men Without Hats[/ame]

classic1 said:
Another thing about Tommasini - he rode a custom one piece bar/stem combo that year.

A mate of dads rode the Sun Tour that year and brought two or three of the Alans off the wogs that rode. All C-Record, 2 x aluminuim and 1 x carbon IIRC. He ended up breaking all of them. :D

Another mate of dads used to import Vitus frames. The back of his warehouse looked like the place where all Vitus' went to die. :D

He imported a couple of Vitus BMX frames too. Must be rare as hens teeth now.

I didn't know that they did a BMX! I can't really imagine that being a huge hit with the BMX lads though - deck the thing once and it'd be all bent up like wet noodles...

531Aussie said:
OH..........MY............FARGIN...........GORD!!! :p

Hmm, the words 'steer clear' spring to mind :)

What was funny was half the guys in our club worked at British Aerospace, so most of the guys had access to someone who could bond the things back together again better than new - but it was just the 'waiting for them to unbond' that was the hard part. Would notice it when you were putting your wheels in the frame or would you end up on your **** at 50mph down hill...

I got those guys to x-ray a first generation Specialized tri-spoke (the matt black ones that weighed about as much as a car) after seeing what looked like a crack in the paint. The x-ray probably looked like Jono's pelvis - crack. Sent that back to Specialized to get the newer lighter one which I swapped for the pair of Shamals. I was done with stuff that needed any form of 'glue'...

swampy1970 said:
. Sent that back to Specialized to get the newer lighter one which I swapped for the pair of Shamals. I was done with stuff that needed any form of 'glue'...
Good advice :p

At least if a carbon frame breaks there's 7 other sections that might stay together long enough for you to put the brakes on; and if spoked carbon wheel cracks, hopefully the steel spokes will do the same thing.

stevebaby said:
The lugs and forks look pretty hefty.
Somone told me the adhesive holding the tubes in the lugs breaks down and the frames come apart. That must be exciting on a steep downhill.
They do look nice when the lugs are polished though.

Looks like Steward's (but it's too small) or Salas's (but it's too big) from the Polli-Mobiexport days. Maybe Gary Trowell's or one of the Flood brothers??