The Thread about Nothing....

531Aussie said:
It's got this written on it:

Faninitop.jpg

Stefano Tomasini

1213884617Tomasini%20Stefano.jpg

531Aussie said:
It's got this written on it:
hey Nev do you know where that german article is that showed all the power differences between positions and wheels etc?

I cannae find it

Jono L said:
hey Nev do you know where that german article is that showed all the power differences between positions and wheels etc?

I cannae find it
There are two, but the first one is the most quoted.

http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-archiv/tests/zeitfahren_material_0107.pdf

http://www.cervelo.com/reviews/aerotest.pdf

And this is the main wheel drag one:

Great wheel test 2008 - Part 1 - Aerodynamics - Roues Artisanales - Bike tech magasine - handbuilt wheels boutique

This is 'my' crappy translation of the first German one that I ripped off someone on Bike Forums :)

Required output (watts) to sustain 45kph.

Stevens San Remo bike with hands on hoods: 465 Watts
Same bike, hands down on the drops: 406 watts
Same bike, Easton Aeroforce aero bars: 369 Watts
Same bike Triathlon position (5.5 cm lower bar, saddle forwards): 360 Watts
Same as above, with 2 carbon Tri-spoke wheels: 345 Watts
Cervelo TT bike + Tri spoke wheels: 328 Watts
Cervelo TT bike + Tri spoke front + disk rear wheel : 320 w
Same as above with Giro aero helmet: 317
Same as above with speed suit: 307

Sellotape makes it better...
broken_Trek_cf.jpg

Forking hell:
idvynm.jpg

No time to brake when a Time frame breaks like this...
RXR2.jpg.jpeg

You can only imagine the ensueing face plants... :eek:

531Aussie said:
Good advice :p

At least if a carbon frame breaks there's 7 other sections that might stay together long enough for you to put the brakes on; and if spoked carbon wheel cracks, hopefully the steel spokes will do the same thing.

531Aussie said:
There are two, but the first one is the most quoted.

http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-archiv/tests/zeitfahren_material_0107.pdf

http://www.cervelo.com/reviews/aerotest.pdf

And this is the main wheel drag one:

Great wheel test 2008 - Part 1 - Aerodynamics - Roues Artisanales - Bike tech magasine - handbuilt wheels boutique

This is 'my' crappy translation of the first German one that I ripped off someone on Bike Forums :)

Required output (watts) to sustain 45kph.

Stevens San Remo bike with hands on hoods: 465 Watts
Same bike, hands down on the drops: 406 watts
Same bike, Easton Aeroforce aero bars: 369 Watts
Same bike Triathlon position (5.5 cm lower bar, saddle forwards): 360 Watts
Same as above, with 2 carbon Tri-spoke wheels: 345 Watts
Cervelo TT bike + Tri spoke wheels: 328 Watts
Cervelo TT bike + Tri spoke front + disk rear wheel : 320 w
Same as above with Giro aero helmet: 317
Same as above with speed suit: 307

That's handy to know.

That first link shows a Look Ergostem - which just happens to be the only piece of kit that decided to stop working with 'interesting results'.... It's not much fun when you find the bars about 50cm lower than what they were a split second ago... and that was with me tightening the damn bolts to the specified torque too!

531Aussie said:
Crikey! Metal rules!!
Are they from crashes?

I dunno what happened first but I'm guessing one way of the other the rider ended up on the deck.

Which came first, the chicken or the... doping scandal?

No worries. I've read a few of those tests and they all come up with pretty much the same results.

swampy1970 said:
I dunno what happened first but I'm guessing one way of the other the rider ended up on the deck.

Which came first, the chicken or the... doping scandal?
Yeah, who knows. A mate of mine is checking some Time frames, so i just sent him that picture :p

swampy1970 said:
Look Ergo stem....... It's not much fun when you find the bars about 50cm lower than what they were a split second ago... and that was with me tightening the damn bolts to the specified torque too!
Is that why they never really took off, or was it coz they're bricks?

531Aussie said:
Is that why they never really took off, or was it coz they're bricks?

Cost I think. I paid about 200UK Pounds for mine. They are weighty. I have the school one for a threaded fork and tightened with an expander bolt... I still have the stem but it was last used on the trainer and features two Grade 8 steel nut and bolts and looks like ****.

531Aussie said:
Sheeesuz!!

Fcuk a dcuk that's exxy, heavy, unreliable and leads to the conclusion that the only reason they sold any was to solve a problem that could be managed more cheaply and simply with conventional alternatives. The ultimate proof of star power?

Even more remarkable is that it wasn't just seppos that wasted mega moula on them.....

Didn't mind the blade frames from an aesthetic point of view though......Something of an industrial chic about them.

531Aussie said:
Did Steward race over seas?

Yes, with the Poli team, which was Italian but Australian registered. They had to have so many Aussies on the team. Steward and Salas got full stints in Europe. IIRC Marcus Burns and one of the Jamiesons had stints in Italy as well. The rest just rode in Oz. ed might weigh in and have a better recollection.

Marcus Burns was a class act IMO. Just about unbeatable in 100km kermesses in Oz. I reckon I saw him win about 5 of them.