The Thread about Nothing....

Your pic - Fail.

Here are some better ones...

52380348.jpg

r

52380655.jpg

Thylacine said:
Yeah, there's an adjuster on the end of the rear derailleur, so I never did work out why the hell you needed those, even after being scolded by the LBS in a recent build for not putting them on.
I reckon they're handy for the front derailer. I've never been able to work out a reliable way of getting the cable correct up front without an adjuster. How do you go about it Thylo?

531Aussie said:
Is that yours? Nice. I love BMCs, so it's a pitty I hated the Streetfire I owned a few years ago. :D
Yes, that's my bestest steed. The frame is a cast-off from a mate who upgraded to a carbon jobbie. And since I put on the Ultegra "with internal routing goodness (TM Llama)" shifters, it's the perfect granddad's axe. It was once a CAAD5 Cannondale 9 speed. Now there's not a single original component.

paulambry said:
I reckon they're handy for the front derailer. I've never been able to work out a reliable way of getting the cable correct up front without an adjuster.

I reckon they'd be handy if you've bent the **** out of a fd or rd in a ride, or race.. But if if you've dinged your bike that hard, its time to limp home.... I also find after a few shifts the barrel goes back to its original position. I did away with them on the race bike (DA7900 jobbie) and had no problems, yet.

The brake pull with Ultegra 6700 and older calipers is all gobbledock - they work just as well with my 6700 lever / 7800 brake caliper config.

First ride this morn, the 6700 takes a bit more umph to shift than the 7800... change clicks are a little rougher. But actual chain shifting is just as good as anything. The differences I think are due to the levers having less weight in them (no gear housing in the moving bit). All made up for by better brake lever feel/control. Same story when I went DA7900.

7800 has to be the best Shimano shiite out there, but I'm done with coat hanger cables and big-dong brake levers.

I should do a blog about this ****. My DuraAce pedal review gets more hits than anything on my blog. Bllooogggggg.

paulambry said:
Yes, that's my bestest steed. The frame is a cast-off from a mate who upgraded to a carbon jobbie. And since I put on the Ultegra "with internal routing goodness (TM Llama)" shifters, it's the perfect granddad's axe. It was once a CAAD5 Cannondale 9 speed. Now there's not a single original component.
how does it compare to your Cannondale? I thought your grey Cannondale was a Caad 8 or 9?

531Aussie said:
how does it compare to your Cannondale? I thought your grey Cannondale was a Caad 8 or 9?
Was it? You'd be right, given that I'm inumerate. Not that it really matters. The main bits of all the Cannodale CAAD frames were identical. The only differences, as far as I could ever work out, were the Ionic curly bits added to style the seat stays on the later CAADs.

The Cannondale was stiffer. No question. I think mainly because the forks are pretty hefty. And perhaps because the chainstays are quite generous on the Cannodale.

They both weigh about the same. Nothing spesh there.

I loved the Cannodale more. All one material. Being the hopeless luddite I am, I'm just not a fan of gluing plastic to metal. Besides, the carbon seat stays on the BMC don't make the bike stronger... not any stiffer than it would be with alloy stays. And the bollox about making the ride smoother, is, well, bollox. I mean, if your seat stays are flexing enough to give you some sort of suspension, I would imagine your seat stays are farked. N'est-ce pas?

paulambry said:
Was it? You'd be right, given that I'm inumerate. Not that it really matters. The main bits of all the Cannodale CAAD frames were identical. The only differences, as far as I could ever work out, were the Ionic curly bits added to style the seat stays on the later CAADs.

The Cannondale was stiffer. No question. I think mainly because the forks are pretty hefty. And perhaps because the chainstays are quite generous on the Cannondale.

I loved the Cannondale more. All one material. Being the hopeless luddite I am, I'm just not a fan of gluing plastic to metal. Besides, the carbon seat stays on the BMC don't make the bike stronger... not any stiffer than it would be with alloy stays. And the bollox about making the ride smoother, is, well, bollox. I mean, if your seat stays are flexing enough to give you some sort of suspension, I would imagine your seat stays are farked. N'est-ce pas?

The 'argument' with carbon is that the flex is interstitial - meaning there is some degree of 'flex' between the carbon and the resin - but I just think material is almost irrelevant. It's about how a given design resonates and how that sensation is picked up by your Sensitive Butt Receptors.™

:eek:

Thylacine said:
The 'argument' with carbon is that the flex is interstitial - meaning there is some degree of 'flex' between the carbon and the resin - but I just think material is almost irrelevant. It's about how a given design resonates and how that sensation is picked up by your Sensitive Butt Receptors.™

:eek:
I suspect one's SBRs(tm) might benefit from a long seat post, more than any variation on the stays, material, glues or Ionic embelishments. My first real road bike was a compact frame with a long seat post, and I know my fat a r s e was tres comfortable on the end of that arrangement. Less so when the seat was on.

gplama said:
I reckon they'd be handy if you've bent the **** out of a fd or rd in a ride, or race.. But if if you've dinged your bike that hard, its time to limp home.... I also find after a few shifts the barrel goes back to its original position. I did away with them on the race bike (DA7900 jobbie) and had no problems, yet.
In violent agreement with you Llamie. But, this question remains... "I've never been able to work out a reliable way of getting the cable correct up front without an adjuster."

Yeah maybe. I've ridden most combos of materials on very similar bikes, and Titanium is the winner as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to try what some of the carbon guys are doing and use massive chainstays and waste away the seatstays....say go from the current Titanium 22.2mm stays to 25.4, and waste the seatstays down from 16mm to about 12mm.

I reckon it would be ace. :)

Then again I reckon 28c tyres are ace, so....

Thylacine said:
Which reminds me - I need to buy some pickled Jalapenos.

Chophouse Tracklements makes a pretty mean Jalapeno Salsa.

I think he only does his dry spices over the net but contact him for local retailers. I just get my folks to buy a few jars each time they go down to Queenscliff.

gplama said:
...New Shimano gear...

What's the "build quality" of the 7900 like after it has been ridden for a while?

I reckon each successive version of Dura Ace felt sort of cheaper that the last, even though it worked grouse and lasted well enough.

cs124 said:
What's the "build quality" of the 7900 like after it has been ridden for a while?

It's sexy, without a doubt. But even from day 0 there is a rattle on really rough roads with the right lever... well documented in a few forums with people calling for a recall, yadda yadda. No real big deal for me, doesn't happen if you've got your hands on the hoods anywhere. Road has to be bumpy as all fark.

Clocked up 3000 or so kms with DA7900 no adjustments required, still rock solid.

Took the 6700 bike out to the hills after work tonight, rock solid too - didn't miss a beat.

I think the biggest difference is the change in pivot points for the levers. You could hold them much higher and flick a gear change with 6600 and 7800 designed hoods. 6700/7900 needs a little more effort or leverage as the pivot point is lower.

Braking wise - love the new levers. Looooove em.

paulambry said:

The Cannondale was stiffer. No question. I think mainly because the forks are pretty hefty. And perhaps because the chainstays are quite generous on the Cannodale.

I loved the Cannodale more. All one material. Being the hopeless luddite I am, I'm just not a fan of gluing plastic to metal. Besides, the carbon seat stays on the BMC don't make the bike stronger... not any stiffer than it would be with alloy stays. And the bollox about making the ride smoother, is, well, bollox. I mean, if your seat stays are flexing enough to give you some sort of suspension, I would imagine your seat stays are farked. N'est-ce pas?
hmm, I see. I want a Cannondale :)