The Thread about Nothing....

Hitchy said:
Oi you lot!...need to scrounge some info from your collective wisdom...or lack of it! Trying to fit a 7900 BB into my Look frame...drive side went in no wuckers, was able to screw it in about 3/4 of the way with me fingers, before needing the tool...non drive side went in about 2 turns before I needed the tool...& the more I screw it, the harder it seems to get...Is this usual?...should I just keep tightening the farker until fitted, or do I have a problem?....all nicely greased & the threads didn't appear to have any rough bits. What have I done wrong?
The 'sensible' answer is obviously, "take it to a pro", especially with such an expensive frame, but....

Hmmm, it all depends how tight. Does the Shimano BB have heaps of some sort of anti-seize stuff on the threads? The last one I bought I had to scrape a lot of it off with a small awl to get the cups in.

Also, often an older cup with go in easier, and if so, you'll know the threads should be ok to be pushed a bit with the new cup

I assume you've checked out the threads in the frame? I doubt there's any paint on them, is there? :) I'd expect a high-end Look to have perfect threads, but you never know, there might be a tiny burr in there that could be easily smoothed out with a few scrapes with an awl or very small flat-head screwdriver.

Another thing I do is use an old steel cup and slowly and very patiently go in and out until it loosens up, obviously going in a little further each time.

However, be warned: :D While I've done this heaps of times successfully, I did pretty much fark one up. The threads were pretty messy when I first got it, so I shoulda just had it tapped. I went a little too far with the steel cup on one go, and when I unscrewed it, it came out on about a 30 degree angle. After about 3 hours, a managed to straighten the threads out enough with the steel cup to get it to work. Luckily, it was a left side, so it didn't matter as much.

gplama said:
too much blue lock-tite stuff on the BB cup? not that you can get that sheit off... maybe screw it into another frame first then try it again on the Look.

(maybe a steel frame, I hear they're cheap as chips and handy for hackery tasks like this).

:p

ROFL...the only Steel frame I have handy has an Italian thread I'm tipping....& I ain't monkeying with that....& they aint cheap unless you come across a really, really top bloke like Ed!:D

531Aussie said:
The 'sensible' answer is obviously, "take it to a pro", especially with such an expensive frame, but.... :)

Hmmm, it all depends how tight. :) Does the Shimano BB have heaps of some sort of anti-seize stuff on the threads? The last one I bought I had to scrape a lot of it off with a small awl to get the cups in.

Also, often an older cup with go in easier, and if so, you'll know the threads should be ok to be pushed a bit with the new cup

I assume you've checked out the threads in the frame? I doubt there's any paint on them, is there? :) I'd expect a high-end Look to have perfect threads, but you never know, there might be a tiny burr in there that could be easily smoothed out with a few scrapes with an awl or very small flat-head screwdriver.

Another thing I do is use an old steel cup and slowly and very patiently go in and out until it loosens up, obviously going in a little further each time.

However, be warned: :D While I've done this heaps of times successfully, I did pretty much fark one up. The threads were pretty messy when I first got it, so I shoulda just had it tapped. I went a little too far with the steel cup on one go, and when I unscrewed it, it came out on about a 30 degree angle. After about 3 hours, a managed to straighten the threads out enough with the steel cup to get it to work. Luckily, it was a left side, so it didn't matter as much.

thanks ...there's no paint on the threads, I even had to pull the little inspection stickers off them, signed by some bloke called Laurent in Tunisia!:D.. they looked pretty much perfect. The BB isn't brand new, been on another frame but never ridden...looks to be OK...I reckon I'll zap down to 'Eddie the Expert' at the LBS & get him to have a look...(after i give it one more try tonight! :D)

Hmm, i see. Yeah, good idea. If he taps it, maybe suggest not a whole tap, coz a full tap can sometimes make the BB a little too loose, then, down the track, you obviously might have to stuff around with Loctites and/or Teflon tape. In most cases, my local shop guy only taps a thread about 1/2 way or 3/4, or as little or as much as it takes to get the bb in. In other words, he tries to only tap passed the problem. Either way, as you know, it's not as crucial, coz it's on the left side.

Anyway, to they still use taps on top-end frames? :)

matagi said:
Do you need a car that big?
Eh, not really, but I want a 'man's' car, plus it's what I'm used to, I guess. Also, i've proven that Falcons will keep going and going and going, even if never serviced. :D

Yep, the difference between Ity and English BBs is much bigger than people think. When I bought the first Scapin I had, the shop guy goes: "Yep, all new Scapins have English bottom brackets", so I didn't even bother to check. So, when I went to put the English cup in the left side (old style, square tapered Shimano) it virtually fell right through the frame!!!

Hitchy said:
Oi you lot!...need to scrounge some info from your collective wisdom...or lack of it! Trying to fit a 7900 BB into my Look frame...drive side went in no wuckers, was able to screw it in about 3/4 of the way with me fingers, before needing the tool...non drive side went in about 2 turns before I needed the tool...& the more I screw it, the harder it seems to get...Is this usual?...should I just keep tightening the farker until fitted, or do I have a problem?....all nicely greased & the threads didn't appear to have any rough bits. What have I done wrong?
This does not sound right - are you sure you're not cross threading?

Otherwise, I'm with Para - you may need to get the threads chased.

Oh yeah, and if you need to fit the forks, give me a call I'm an expert at putting them on backwards. :eek::p

Gentlemen, just to show I have your best interests at heart, I thought I would share the following handy hint for enhancing your "appearance" :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TiJNewpCnY"]YouTube - How To Shave Your Groin - Shaving Tips From Gillette[/ame]

Do they make chainsaws? My tree is a little bigger than most.

1833887_f520.jpg

531Aussie said:

Is that with or without the 2 girls?

TAN Flash Poll!

This approaching storm front will...

1. Be a farkin fizzer. Drizzle 'fo shizzle on ma nizzle.
2. Rain cats and dogs, nothing more.
3. Almost what they're warning of - "never seen road x flood before."
4. Mother nature relocates Bells Beach to Hurstbridge and Victoria is the new Tasmania.

My bet is 3. But I'm hoping for 4.

gplama said:
TAN Flash Poll!

3. Almost what they're warning of - "never see road x flood before."
4. Mother nature relocates Bells Beach to Hurstbride and Victoria is the new Tasmania.

4...then we can all get into the footy on a single family ticket!:D

Must....keep...lid....on.

Nah, fark it. Give the Pies the flag now. St Failure can't run a game out, nearly lost a good lead in the wet, fell over the line and their bottom half dozen players are hacks. Pies will smash them. Geelong are down and are in strife. Mooney LOL. Dogs are farked. Watch Eade play an injured Griffen and old fart Johnson this week, he will be rooted after 5 minutes. Hawks won't get past Geelong and if they do will get smashed by the Pies. Sydney are Collingwood's *****es, Carlton and Freo massive LOLZ, no chance.

Yes folks, it is gonna be ugly. It will be the apocalypse, night of the living dead and Hiroshima all rolled into one. If you think I am bad just wait until half a million Collingwood supporters even more rabid than me are on the rampage. My advice is that all non-Collingwood supporters should just ******** interstate on the last Saturday in September. Fark you, fark you all.

gplama said:
TAN Flash Poll!

3. Almost what they're warning of - "never seen road x flood before."
4. Mother nature relocates Bells Beach to Hurstbridge and Victoria is the new Tasmania.

How about 3.5?
Warnings for Victoria

classic1 said:
Must....keep...lid....on.

Nah, fark it. Give the Pies the flag now. St Failure can't run a game out, nearly lost a good lead in the wet, fell over the line and their bottom half dozen players are hacks. Pies will smash them. Geelong are down and are in strife. Mooney LOL. Dogs are farked. Watch Eade play an injured Griffen and old fart Johnson this week, he will be rooted after 5 minutes. Hawks won't get past Geelong and if they do will get smashed by the Pies. Sydney are Collingwood's *****es, Carlton and Freo massive LOLZ, no chance.

Yes folks, it is gonna be ugly. It will be the apocalypse, night of the living dead and Hiroshima all rolled into one. If you think I am bad just wait until half a million Collingwood supporters even more rabid than me are on the rampage. My advice is that all non-Collingwood supporters should just ******** interstate on the last Saturday in September. Fark you, fark you all.

Because it will make both my folks and the outlaws happy, Geelong FTW.

:)

I know the Pies winning would be the footy equivalent of the garbo winning the lottery and that in itself has entertainment value, but I have to be selfish on this call.

Comedy gold!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZiae16Ry8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - The Bedroom Philosopher - Northcote (So Hungover)[/ame]