The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

Goddamnit Classo. Don't make me join facebook. There'll be hell to pay.

2. gplama

gplama Well-Known Member

3. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

4. gplama

gplama Well-Known Member

Awesome read so far....

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

It's clearly an awesome and very truthful read. Here in little stralia there are a lot of people involved in cycling who should hang there heads in shame for threatening legal action and making pathetic attempts to stop this conference.

gplama likes this.
  6. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

I wish I was 21 now.

My GF then was a real goer.

7. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

I like the last sentence here:

Cycling has a long and ambiguous attitude to doping, complicated by the nuances of endurance sport and an internalised sense of self-protection within the industry, summarised colloquially by the expression, ‘don’t spit in the soup’. Examples of whistleblowing within professional cycling, whether from cyclists, ex-cyclists, team staff or journalists, have generally met with mixed reactions from the sport. To that end, the construction of anti-doping policy initiatives has, in recent years, taken a fairly accusatory and aggressive perspective dominated by a rationale of deterrence. It is difficult to argue against the impact of that approach. As most interview participants recognised, it has reduced the incidence and extremity of doping practice. Having said that, we might immediately qualify it by recognising that most of the major anti-doping successes have not been the result of sports anti-doping law, but the result of the intervention of the criminal justice system of the state. Neither solution is sustainable in the long-term, and nor should they be considered the only tools that could be used in anti-doping policy.

8. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

AIS. I was told once by someone in a position to know that the Aussie team should have won 4 or 5 teams pursuit titles and an Olympics in the late 80s/early 90s, but Walsh flogged them so much they couldn't come up. Think of all the gun riders who came up through that period who never really made it at the top level, even though they had the class. There were a heap of them, but they were burnt out.

Only the real beasts like O'Grady and McGee survived that regime. There should have been 20 riders at least from that era from 88-00 who should have got pro contracts. Instead you had that many blokes burnt out. Funny that the results improved and the numbers coming through to turn pro increased when Walsh farked off.

9. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

One of the best stories McGrory tells is from this farkin unbelievably vicious track session that was just all out abuse, and at the end of they all got rewarded with 1 M&M. Sick bastards!

10. paulambry

paulambry Well-Known Member

Walsh isn't the only nutcase from that era. There are still blokes around coaching masters and youngsters who insist on the "if you've got a spare hour you should be floggin yourself" regime. On the bike, that is. And you look at the people they coach, and they're just so utterly miserable all the time. They're like the Catholics of the cycling world... feeling guilty about everything all the time. No rest, and god forbid you have any fun.

11. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I'd argue that EPO would provide more benefit than listening to a couple of quacks. If you could get away with keeping your hematocrit pegged in the high 40% range, you could eat pies and bags of chips all day and ride like a mofo. That said, I may have just visited the wrong few dozen nutritionists and osteopaths, chirocpacters and other 'smoke and mirror' type mini-me witch doctors...

... just give me a physio that knows their sh1t, can get stuff fixed in one visit and reminds me that anything that's based upon unfounded beliefs should be avoided like the plague. That and reaffirming the belief that good honest training and putting the work in will do more than "science" we could learn of artsyfarstymedical.com or a quick google search.

As for Landis he made his own bed. Funny how life was grand while he was upto the gils in bags of blood on Postal and Phonak (if that was the case) when it suited him and the money was rolling in... and now that noone will give him a ride, especially after almost killing the last team he was in - one that was a foundation to help kids for farks sake, he's now bleating because it's the only way that people will listen to the pathetic sack o' sh1te. It's not about "I need to come clean and it's for my conscience..." it's about him wanting the attention and the money. If someone would have given him a ride with a good team, a fat paycheck and an IV stand with "stuff" to infuse himself with do you think he'd be doing this now? F*ck no... Face facts. The guy didn't even put in enough training during his ban to come back to the sport at a descent level and can't even hang with the domestic US Cat1 guys. Sorry Floyd, recently you have become the personification of FAIL. Take the seat next to Paul Kimmage and please kindly STFU.

12. VadarStrikesBack

VadarStrikesBack Well-Known Member

Good posting evarreebodee. Insightful.

Golf clap.

[​IMG]

13. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Ha! That's like the gag in Spanglish (yeah, ok, I watched Spanglish the other night, and it was crap) when Adam Sandler is trying to communicate with the Mexican chick who doesn't speak English. After an argument, he goes: "ok, I feel guilty. Do you understand me?"
    The chick's daughter interprets the response: "Yes, believe me, we know what guilt is! We're Catholic,"

Booom Boome

14. 46kgToDate

46kgToDate New Member

I think Johnny retired, this is John.

Perhaps we can all go riding in our T shirts?
    John, Floyd, Paz Vega, O'Grady Hogan, Lance that would be a TAN ride.
    Move the TDU to Melbourne - I can see it all now - its really happening, oh sorry, wrong phial.

15. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

This is exactly the problem though, everyone hating on Landis (other than those possibly about to be exposed or similar) are just shouting out personal reasons of dislike for the guy.

I don't give shit about his personality, who he has leeched off or how vindictive he is. He is going to provide information to help fight doping like never before. That is good. He can have all my attention if he wants.

Swampy, you'd prefer the Ranga you dislike to remain tight lipped so we can have another decade of 'blue trains', really?

16. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Well articulated Jono. Totally sht postage Swampy.

And why all the hate on Kimmage? The paddy was right on everything he said, wrote one of the best books on cycling ever, has a writing job at a prestigious paper, journalistic awards, gets to travel in his job and has the emnity of people who are arsewipes. Good on him. I'd shake the cnuts hand if I met him.

17. roshea

roshea Well-Known Member

Ah, so THAT'S his name! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

18. paulambry

Someone sent me this today. So petty and immature. I'd never do something like that.

What's better than beating Collingwood?
    [​IMG]
    Not much really.

19. paulambry

Did everyone get the Brownlow slides? Take II is on its way as well.

20. Hitchy

Hitchy New Member

No...where's mine?