The Thread about Nothing....

Hey Swampo,
tell me how you northern hemisphere blokes handle January up there, because it's 3pm on a tuesday arvo here and I'm already ******, wearing only a pair of boardies, without even a cricket match as an excuse, and yet still feeling like a proper decent, if a little sunburnt, contributing to society and all kind of fella. I mean I talked about work today at least. Do you blokes get all professional like straight after New Years?

Originally Posted by bbp .

Hey Swampo,
tell me how you northern hemisphere blokes handle January up there, because it's 3pm on a tuesday arvo here and I'm already ******, wearing only a pair of boardies, without even a cricket match as an excuse, and yet still feeling like a proper decent, if a little sunburnt, contributing to society and all kind of fella. I mean I talked about work today at least. Do you blokes get all professional like straight after New Years?

Normally it rains like cats and dogs and it's about 5C...

... But so far there's been no rain and it's been about 10C and sunny. Disturbing... But yet not disturbing.

Any time is a ttime for a few brews and some good times. Professional? I missed that on the memo - I'm English so it's almost expected that any time of day is beer o'clock for anyone while I'm around - which is good... Yet isn't good..

Originally Posted by 531Aussie .

[SIZE= 18px]HEY, SWAMPO!![/SIZE]

Tell me again what guitars you've got. A Les Paul, right?

No Les Paul...

Gibson V and a silver series squire strat are the two that I play the most. The latter is the most amazing sounding guitar I've ever played. I've also got a late 80's Charvel and a Tokai 57 reissue Flying V. It's not really a reissue - its more of a replica - Tokai had there asses handed to them in court over those. Even the grain of the korina wood is the same "book matched" angle as the original V's.That one has the bridge pickup removed so that I don't spend all day locked in a room with no life and wearing the frets off it.

I scalloped the fret board on the strat and the Charvel and changes the pickups and electronics and the Gibson V got an EMG 81 just because it was full on metal...

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Normally it rains like cats and dogs and it's about 5C...

... But so far there's been no rain and it's been about 10C and sunny. Disturbing... But yet not disturbing.

Any time is a ttime for a few brews and some good times. Professional? I missed that on the memo - I'm English so it's almost expected that any time of day is beer o'clock for anyone while I'm around - which is good... Yet isn't good..
I think I meant work-wise.
For a tradie here, December is madness, get ALL the jobs done post haste for Christmas, and then January is like the boonies, summer sloth for the salaried or the family types I assume, which of course is all typical small business 101, and therefore bugger all work even if you wanted it. It's a bit ghost town like. It all tends to wake up again after Australia day on the 25th Jan.
I'm sure it's different there, or at least I hope so, otherwise you bastards get both a summer break and a winter break.

Umm beebers .... Australia Day is the 26th.

Although the 25th is also a date of some significance. :p

Whatever. I mean at least I did had thought the 25th was of some significance and obviously it's not what I thought it was, but what is it again? Is that your birthday?
And I'm sorry for talking to Swampy. I know I should have shown some integrity. But it's so hard to come by these days, hey Swampy? Swampy? And it's only bloody 6.33pm on a Tuesday for gog's sake.

Sorry Swamp. That wasn't fair. You do have some integrity. You're quite honest and open and proud of your right winged ****ness.
If only the left winged ones could learn to be so emphatic they'd probably get somewhere
you know, like you right winged ****s.

I know a few guys that work as independant contractors doing home repairs/plumbing and they're constantly in demand. The good ones are always booked for farking weeks.

As far as 'business only' related work goes, sure there's sometimes a rush to spend the years budget (the financial year here is the same as the calendar year, as opposed to England where it isn't... not sure what the deal is down under.) partly out of fear of getting less money the year after and partly because you gotta get that billing done by years end. However, I've noticed here that the start of the year is never a quiet time either as you gotta start your projects/work in a timely manner just incase **** hits the fan and the "money jar" is emptied elsewhere.

It's not a case of being right wing/left wing - it's a case of taking advantage of opportunities as they arise. Want something better? Figure out what it takes and go get it... ain't nothing "right wing" about that.

Is that a quote of mine? :) It sounds like something I might've said to.....you? Someone else? Ha! :)

Nah, I reckon he ripped it off me. :)

Possibly. But as Banksy points out...
banksy-rouba-picasso.jpg

Quote: Originally Posted by swampy1970 . No Les Paul...

Gibson V and a silver series squire strat are the two that I play the most. The latter is the most amazing sounding guitar I've ever played. I've also got a late 80's Charvel and a Tokai 57 reissue Flying V. It's not really a reissue - its more of a replica - Tokai had there asses handed to them in court over those. Even the grain of the korina wood is the same "book matched" angle as the original V's.That one has the bridge pickup removed so that I don't spend all day locked in a room with no life and wearing the frets off it.

I scalloped the fret board on the strat and the Charvel and changes the pickups and electronics and the Gibson V got an EMG 81 just because it was full on metal...

Nice. Have ya got one of them 'flip' things on the Flying V so it doesn't slip off your lap? Ha! :)
Yeah nah, getting a guitar to sound great is half planning and design, and the rest is voodoo. Like, you could try to make an exact copy of that Squire, and chances are it wouldn't sound anywhere near as good. My first electric guitar was a used $90 Anson SG copy, and it's the beefiest-sounding guitar I've heard. I dunno what it's made of, but it looks kinda like mahogany, but it's half the weight, so maybe it's korina.

I've probably said this before, but I scalloped the top 3 frets of my main guitars with a rat tail file! When doing one of them, I didn't even take off the strings -- I just loosened them (obvoiusly). It was going fine until the pearl inlay fell out of my Jackson, but it was nothing that a bit of touch-up paint couldn't fix. :) Ha!

Nice. Have ya got one of them 'flip' things on the Flying V so it doesn't slip off your lap? Ha! :)
Yeah nah, getting a guitar to sound great is half planning and design, and the rest is voodoo. Like, you could try to make an exact copy of that Squire, and chances are it wouldn't sound anywhere near as good. My first electric guitar was a used $90 Anson SG copy, and it's the beefiest-sounding guitar I've heard. I dunno what it's made of, but it looks kinda like mahogany, but it's half the weight, so maybe it's korina.

I've probably said this before, but I scalloped the top 3 frets of my main guitars with a rat tail file! When doing one of them, I didn't even take off the strings -- I just loosened them (obvoiusly). It was going fine until the pearl inlay fell out of my Jackson, but it was nothing that a bit of touch-up paint couldn't fix. :) Ha!

The Tokai V has the rubber slip strip on the bottom...but it's fecking useless and I stick the middle of the V on my right leg anyway.

I used a very sharp and very fine round file for the top few frets and a half round for the rest of them. Thankfully my old man had a massive amount of wood working tools as he was an engineers pattern maker back in the day. The wider half round files made easy work of the first few frets on the strat. Some of the side markers could do with having new inserts put in that are a little deeper but I can't be farked. It plays ace and sounds ace.

Ah... I love this town. A little piece of reality tacked onto the side of the San Francisco Bay Area.

They said at the weekend:

Around 8 a.m. Tuesday at Vacaville City Hall, tents go up, food will be served, conversations will be enjoyed, questions will be answered, friends will be made, huge amounts of free items, from ice cube trays to DVD players will be given away and our eyes will be opened to what can be done within our community. There will be speeches and teach-ins from Cindy Sheehan, core members of Occupy Sacramento, and an arrestee from the Dec. 30 raid on Oscar Grant Plaza in Oakland, among many others, including anyone who wants to take hold of the bullhorn and be heard. http://www.thereporter.com/opinion/ci_19747511
After a weekend of much hoo-ha about the Occupy movement coming here, a few folks down town with bullhorns the end result was, well, craptacular.

VACAVILLE — Fewer than a half-dozen protesters brought the Occupy movement to Vacaville City Hall Tuesday, drawing an underwhelming response from the community. A couple of times during the day, Vacaville police who were keeping a low-profile eye on the protest outnumbered the protesters.

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/search/occupy%20vacaville
Drove past tonight to check it out. One guy, one girl, one tiny banner that you couldn't read from the street... and plenty of people honking their horns and giving them the finger. A couple of folks look like the brought the few cops there coffee and donuts.

So underwhelming that the above link isn't even from the local paper but from the paper produced in the next town down the road... The local rag didn't even cover it.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

Originally Posted by paulambry .

BTW - anyone had an opportunity to listen - in full - to this yet?

Was having a chat with the lads at work about "memorable gigs" we'd all been too... and before I mentioned anything about some of the ace Monsters of Rock shows at Donington in the 80's and 90's I threw out the modern classic - The Wiggles at Arco Arena in Sacramento. There were way more kids than parents and the arena was pretty damned full ~18,000. My ears hurt from all the high pitched screaming worse than going to shows back in the day when decibel levels had yet to be implemented...

Originally Posted by roshea .

Is it too late to add Paula Deen to the dead pool?

I had never heard of Paula Deen before you posted this, and after looking at some of her "recipes" I hope never to hear of her again.

FWIW, I don't think traditional Southern recipes used Crisco.