The Thread about Nothing....

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7
Walnut brown. The track is Winton Raceway and the car is doing about 180 km/h.
AKA poo brown.

I'm allowed to say that cos my first car was a poo brown XB Fairmont with white vinyl roof. So trendy, so chic, no?

It didn't sound nuthin like yours though.
sad.png
The straight 6 250 is not in the same ballpark.

I very nearly bought an orange XB Coupe as my first car. It was a 6, but I can't remember what wheels it had.
It was in one of those shitty car yards on Warrigal Rd, Moorabbin, so I used to ride passed it every day and ogle it.
Luckily, my dad convinced me to by a newer car, coz he didn't want me breaking down every month, so I got a 3-year-old, white XD...like I've said 10 times :)

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
I very nearly bought an orange XB Coupe as my first car. It was a 6, but I can't remember what wheels it had.
It was in one of those shitty car yards on Warrigal Rd, Moorabbin, so I used to ride passed it every day and ogle it.
Luckily, my dad convinced me to by a newer car, coz he didn't want me breaking down every month, so I got a 3-year-old, white XD...like I've said 10 times :)
Your silly dad. The XB and XD are basically the same car. Same mechanicals, same suspension, same floor plan, just a different body and a cross flow head.

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7

Your silly dad. The XB and XD are basically the same car. Same mechanicals, same suspension, same floor plan, just a different body and a cross flow head.
yeah, I suppose, but it's just that it was about 9 years older and had stacks more miles on it

531Aussie said:
I'm so clueless about cars that I never realized how much engines needed air until I saw the episode of Top Gear when their cars conked out on the ~7km-high mountain :) 
I live at 98ft above sea level. If I drive 100 miles east I have to go over one of a few mountain passes that range from 7,300ft to 8,900ft. The difference in altitude can make carbs run a little odd.

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
yeah, I suppose, but it's just that it was about 9 years older and had stacks more miles on it
But it was a coupe......

My brothers XD has 400k on it now, so I suspect the "stacks more miles" wouldn't have mattered all that much.

cheetahmk7 said:
More car pron. A good change from bike pron. There is a lot of Australian content in this motor too. The only imported stuff is the carby, pistons, gaskets, studs and the water pump (excluding the impellor - it's was made in Melbourne) I'm a bit surprised that yours has pressed steel rockers.
A 351 Cleveland motor, nice. One of my wife's best friends married a Ford fanboy - he had a Mach 1 Mustang with a 351c in it. Apparently, it accelerated that fast that it ripped the drivers seat off the seat rails and it ended up in a tree... The replacement Mach1 (the second year, with out functional brake scoops) wasn't quite so heavily modified. I had a ride in that one back in 2001. It kinda got me hooked on old school cars. Interesting intake you have on that. Going for high rpm HP? I'd like something interesting like that but I just don't have the bonnet clearance. The engine I have is a ZZ502 crate motor. Literally, it was delivered in a crate with everything preassembled. Dizzy had to come out and the oil filter had to be removed - but it's a modern incarnation of a Mark IV chevy big block. The stamped steel rockers came with it but alas roller rockers won't fit the stock valve covers. The stock valve covers barely clear the brake booster... You can see where I'm going with this... Those rockers are good for 800hp, more than enough for me. The EFI is good for 850hp. I'm just going for the EFI for throttle response - the torque curve is already near linear and flat with about 4,000 rpm over 500 lb/ft. The rear end is good for 1300 lb/ft of torque at the wheels in 1st gear - which is more than I'll make at the flywheel. I have plans to replace the front disk brakes and brake booster at "some point" (sometime between now and dinosaurs re-roaming the earth). An oddity - the rear drums are sized for a Ford Gran Torino - the largest passenger drum brakes commonly available. Going for that sleeper look.

cheetahmk7 said:
Swampy, what gearbox and diff does yours have? Does it have a 12 bolt?
It's a Moser Engineering 12 bolt, 35 spline with bolt in rather than C clip axle and an Easton posi traction diff. Up front there's a Muncie M22 "rock crusher" with a Hurst shifters the semi straight cut gears sound ace..

531Aussie said:
Jeepers! What's int hat coffee.  Boom boom.  That Troy Grady dude suggested that he used to spend days trying to work out how Yngwie's picked such licks, but eventually realized that he sneaks in the odd pull-off 
Yngwie is a legato monster. The "odd" pull off is an understatement. The biggest misunderstanding about his technique is "sweep picking." Rather than thinking about randomly brushing across strings, think more about picking each individual string.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

Yngwie is a legato monster. The "odd" pull off is an understatement. The biggest misunderstanding about his technique is "sweep picking." Rather than thinking about randomly brushing across strings, think more about picking each individual string.
Steve Morse style? Remember the exercise he does on the classical piece, alternate picking one note per string? Kreutzer? Crikey

The old man had a poo brown XD when I was a kid. .It had a 302. Used to have coil problems and issues with the four barrel carby all the time. Then it caught fire one day when mum started it to go to work. They got rid of it not long after. Put dad off Ford's forever. The thing was when it was going it was great. Comfortable, acres of room, huge boot, cruised along on a trip. Dad had a work mate who was spewing when dad offloaded it. He was a Ford man and reckoned he could have resolved the ****les, but dad had a gutful of it by then. There's a couple of Mach 1 Mustangs down this way. Nice, but I like the previous Mustang better. I actually saw a beautiful canary yellow one yesterday. Never see fastbacks though. Only coupes and convertibles

swampy1970 said:
Someoneelses ZZ502 powered Camaro at the track, chasing a 1972 Porsche 911 RSR
Bit hard to see how much faster the Porsche is with so much (retarded) traffic on the track. Love the way it becomes a dot on the big sweeper.

classic1 said:
There's a couple of Mach 1 Mustangs down this way. Nice, but I like the previous Mustang better. I actually saw a beautiful canary yellow one yesterday. Never see fastbacks though. Only coupes and convertibles
Yeah, the oldies are goldies.