The Thread about Nothing....

531Aussie said:
paulambry said:
Foo Fighters
Coincidentally, Grohl's 'Sound City' doco was on last night.  Or is that why you mentioned him? 
No, I was just playing an old YouTube playlist of songs that I hadn't played in ages. Serendipity. I'll check out the doco. How good is iView? And SBS OnDemand. Pity we cant get the BBC equivalent here.

Pity the government wants to force sbs and the abc to start charging people to use them as well

Originally Posted by paulambry .

How good is iView?
Yeah, it's fine, but the picture could be a little better on my dodgy old Toshiba Tecra P5 laptop.
And sometimes I can't fast-forward.

Paul,

iView is great - HD picture quality. I use AppleTV to watch it on my television.

I find SBS on demand a bit hit and miss compared to ABC's iView. I get more drop outs, jittery picture quality and buffering with SBS.

matagi said:
Paul, iView is great - HD picture quality.  I use AppleTV to watch it on my television. I find SBS on demand  a bit hit and miss compared to ABC's iView.  I get more drop outs, jittery picture quality and buffering with SBS.
Oh, I'm kinda glad to hear that about the SBS thingy. I thought it might have been my broadband connection. One aspect of the SBS transmission that's a bit shabby is how LOUD the ads are sometimes. It wouldn't take much for the sound engineers to normalise the levels.

Yesterday arvo might qualify for worst pain ever, although as Nev says they're hard to compare. Still got a couple of endones left for emergencies, but I am a bit embarrassed how much codeine and tramadol it took to make it tolerable. And I'd taken less than half a dozen painkillers in the last couple of months, I'd been on an antiinflammatory called meloxicam, so I definitely wasn't too used to the painkillers. Eventually got to sleep, but woke up fully spasmed again at 6am, today I've been brave enough to apply the diltiazem ointment which has helped a lot to stop the muscle clenching. Only supposed to take that 3 times a day, but I'm going with hourly so far to stop it spasming. So, um, definitely better than yesterday, but I never would have believed just farting could possibly cause such agony. Eh, I'll survive. I think.

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Ha, yeah nah, it's on iview

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/sound-city/ZX9847A001S00#playing
Farking grouse. Inspirational too. My sax has been little more than an ornament the last couple of years, it's been dragged out a few times to annoy the neighbours late at night, but godblessher the adjoining neighbour still chides me for not playing it enough. A couple of the pads have fallen off the keys now that it's been left out of it's case for so long. Time to get it repaired and make making some new musical families a 2015 resolution.

Originally Posted by bbp

Farking grouse.
Yeah, I loved it. At the risk of overselling it to people who haven't seen it: for anyone who's into music at all, it's gotta be one of the best docos around.

I gotta say, my impression of Grohl has gone up a little, coz he seemed genuinely sincere about it, hey?! That's not to say I didn't like him. I really like him; I just don't reckon he can write (hardly any) good songs.
However, in his typically excellent knack for self-promotion, the last 20 minutes was an infomercial for that collaborative album. Ha.

the album

1. Heaven and All -- Robert Levon Been, Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes - 00:00 2. Time Slowing Down -- Tim Commerford, Chris Goss, Grohl, Brad Wilk - 05:33 3. You Can't Fix This -- Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Rami Jaffee, Stevie Nicks - 11:33 4. The Man That Never Was -- Grohl, Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Rick Springfield - 17:32 5. Your Wife Is Calling -- Grohl, Hawkins, Alain Johannes, Smear, Lee Ving - 20:58 6. From Can to Can't -- Grohl, Rick Nielsen, Scott Reeder, Corey Taylor - 24:18 7. Centipede -- Goss, Grohl, Johannes, Joshua Homme 29:13 8. A Trick with No Sleeve -- Grohl, Homme, Johannes - 34:24 9. Cut Me Some Slack -- Grohl, Paul McCartney, Novoselic, Smear - 39:21 10. If I Were Me -- Jessy Greene, Grohl, Jaffee, Jim Keltner - 44:01 11. Mantra -- Grohl, Homme, Trent Reznor - 48:15

0.jpg

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Yeah, I loved it. At the risk of overselling it to anyone who hasn't seen it: for anyone who's into music at all, it's gotta be one of the best docos around.

I gotta say, my impression of Grohl has gone up a little, coz he seemed genuinely sincere about it, hey?! That's not to say I didn't like him. I really like him; I just don't reckon he can write (hardly any) good songs.
However, in his typically excellent knack for self-promotion, the last 20 minutes was an infomercial for that collaborative album. Ha.
Yep. Fair dues regarding that Neve desk. I do like the stuff he's done with Josh Homme and John Paul Jones. Glad I got to see that live.
There's a good bit out there somewhere about Jack White restoring a little, as in tiny, mallstyle recording booth from the 50's that would spit out a 45rpm record when you were done too.
Spose I do need to respect the blokes who've done good and still want to keep the dream alive.

There are few extra bits on Youtube of the sessions at Grohl's studio, if you're into this sort of thing; I'm not particularly

0.jpg

It's amazing how painful things pertaining to the anal region are. Adequate pain relief is key, but you do seem to have been rather let down by your doctors in that regard.

Originally Posted by bbp

Ah yeah I read about that. One song recorded at each famous studio for the new album and a series of docos about it. Any good? What channel?
And I got that wrong too. Sound City was standalone. The city/studio ones are different, and ahem, here.
http://www.watch-series-online.li/Watch/Foo-Fighters-Sonic-Highways-4938.html#!episodes_tab

Ha.
Seemingly sick and tired of Hollywood hanging **** on their leaders, North Korea has allegedly hacked into to Sony, coz a new comedy is coming out about an assassination attempt on Kim Jong Un. Apparently, they described the plot as an act of war

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/12/01/north-koreas-cyberwar-on-james-franco-and-seth-rogan/

It's a long time since I dropped in here. You folk appear to be doing fine (apart from a bit of sore botty stuff).

Unfortunately it was possessed by Satan and I had to perform an exorcism on it

EoinC2 said:
It's a long time since I dropped in here. You folk appear to be doing fine (apart from a bit of sore botty stuff).
It is. How is your daughter going? Is she smashing them? She is still a year off being a junior?

G'day, Classic. She is, indeed, smashing it. 3 months after her 16th birthday she broke the Aussie Allcomer U19 record for the Flying 200 at Oceania's in Adelaide with an 11.677s. She's got State U19 Champs this weekend, then Nationals in Melbourne in January.

This armchair athletics works OK for me...