The Thread about Nothing....

2014 in review:

None of my dead pool picks died

High point - getting made redundant, going contracting and making good money working with good people

Low point - walking 2km out of a steep and twisty track then a bumpy 10km 4WD trip with a dislocated shoulder to get to medical help

Fcuk off, I've had the Newtons for years now

OK:

Llama - Bill Cosby, Bert Newton, Liza Minnelli
Vette - Jimmy Carter, Keith Richards, Betty White

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Don't ****get to reset your speedometers. Ha.
My whaaaat.

I'm not even a racing cyclist as of today. Not a member of any club. Totally freeballing. Off the hook.

*until I pay $370 to CA for my 2015 license, and $140 for Vets.

Me too.
And I've got a regular Thursday night gig coming up, so now I'm just a Weekend Warrior. I better get a $16,000 bike and fluoro booties :)

Originally Posted by 62vette
No. We had a yummy dinner - ham with new potatoes and asparagus followed by Iles Flottante (me main course, wifey dessert), drank a bit of wine, watched INXS Live Baby Live, drank some bubbles at midnight, went to bed and then got up an hour later to dry off the cat when she came in soaking wet.

Crazy **** you do when you're 52
Wild. Ha. It sounds like a good night :)

Originally Posted by 62vette

We're awaiting reports of your purchase of a Specialized Vadge with Di2
Ha. I can't even afford me new racing license.
I'm still smashing crunts on my $35 Caad7, :) which cost another $100 to fix, coz the dint turned into a crack. which was why it was so cheap in the second place

62vette said:
Fcuk off, I've had the Newtons for years now OK: Llama - Bill Cosby, Bert Newton, Liza Minnelli Vette - Jimmy Carter, Keith Richards, Betty White
I had Nelson Mandela stolen from me after years of picking him. Anyway after my triumphant selection for 2014, Barry Otto, Richie Benaud, George HW Bush

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Are the Michelton cirts gunna be on telly?
iirc - CH9 highlights after midnight the same day. Highlights in the arvo the next day. On GEM.

Best just follow the results along on Twitter.

We're not going this year. Been to almost all of them for the last few years. Just can't be arsed this year. Hope the online coverage is good. I'd watch the **** out of them live.

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7

Quick Poll

Training with carbon wheels = ******
Yes or No
Tough call. Depends on the person. If they're ripping the hubs off their wheels and smashing cnuts left right and centre, fair enough. Otherwise, rich ******.

I ride with a couple of the former and some of the latter. They can all afford to ride on the latest bling, so I can't blame them.

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7

Quick Poll

Training with carbon wheels = ******
Yes or No
Short - It depends. Typically yes.

In Long - If the wheels came with your new bike, and you're a bit of a nupty, fine, roll around on your 40mm carbon Rovals. They look ace. They probably roll ace. If you don't have a set of training wheels then you're not likely a contender in any event where the wheels are the defining factor of win/lose. A bit like every Venge I've ever seen..... ridden by people who classify themselves as sprinters... who spend 99.99999% of the time just riding around... and never ever winning a sprint due to the extra stiffness of the frame itself.... and who'd have a higher quality of life on a different frame. If you have $2000+ wheels, then get a set of $250 Ultegra alloy clinchers and save those $$ wheels for race day.

Back closer to your question... Training. Yes. Using race wheels for training is ********. Race wheels should have latex tubes in them, and race-only (or race day only) rubber on them. Much like using a disc on Beach Rd, or a TT helmet, a typical no-no. Training should be hard. It should be made to be hard. I've even gone back to wearing my Preval helmet knowing it is slower than my Evade.... although the Evade comes out on sunny days when I'm going long so I don't get a burnt head when the sunscreen wears off.

tldr; Yes.

62vette said:
went to bed and then got up an hour later to dry off the cat when she came in soaking wet. Crazy **** you do when you're 52
Wet ***** in the middle of the night - living the dream!

cheetahmk7 said:
Quick Poll Training with carbon wheels = ****** Yes or No
Nup. Not these days. I run cheap Chinese carbon ("Charbon") rims matched with carbon-specific pads and they work a treat. Even in the wet. They are super tough and light. Racing. Training. Commuting. I would never get a set of filthy alloy rims again (unless they were for a bike with disc brakes). "A" is for alloy and anachronistic.