The Thread about Nothing....

Thought as much. It always struck me as being apocryphal. But the stories about his grandma were true. They called her Minna Farkle. "Farkle" from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in. Dunno where the "Minna" came from. It was probably her real name.

Minna was the original hippy. She was quite ancient (to my teenage eyes she looked like she was in her 80s) and her house looked like an Ishka display, including her own pottery which she made and fired at home. She grew her own dope and kept silk worms. I don't know why she kept the silkworms ... I can't imagine she would kill the larvae to harvest the silk.

My mate Tim was the son of a leading Melbourne barrister (a QC I believe). The family was wealthy and the lot of them were quite eccentric and extremely talented... academic and all musically gifted. They had a huge house on Elgar Road near the corner of Churchill Street and the long driveway and yard were filled with Humbers, Jags, a Jeep (or was in a very early Land Driver?? - all I remember about it was the front winch was driven by a power-takeoff direct from the gearbox and it also had a driveshaft out the rear to drive the wheels on a special trailer) and a Bowell Nagari. I learned to drive a car in their driveway, in a Honda N360. It was a three speed manual and the gearshift came out of the dash.

honda-n360-dash.jpg

280px-1969_Honda_N360_01.jpg

Reactions: roshea
Dads side of the family is from around that neck of the woods. Nan was from Balwyn and her mother owned orchards around Blackburn apparently. The family history is a bit vague. Her mother was married three times and was a bit of an old battle axe from what I can gather, was estranged from nan when she died and all the belongings and property 'disappeared'. Pop grew up I think around Camberwell then Blackburn. I can remember going to my great grandmothers in Blackburn. Dad was born in Mont Albert.

My 'hood pretty much. Been in the area for nearly 40 years now.
***********...that makes me feel old.

Pop used to tell an ace story about all the kids used to hang around a drain in the camberwell area that was sort of a council depot. They'd swim there, get up to mischief. One day they flogged some old car tyres from the depot, took them into the drain, poured fuel on them and burned them. Smoke ****** out the drains all the way up to camberwell junction. Oops. Every kid in the neighborhood ****** off. Not a kid to be seen anywhere.

Dad was telling old family stories the other week. Some were gold. My great grandfather and was one of 13 kids. He was a butcher by trade, and shifty as they come. During the war they never went hungry. Plus he ran sly grog. Apparently he befriended some seppo serviceman. They came around one Sunday to score grog, and brought two ducks with them. Story goes they accidentally ran over them on a motorbike leaving the barracks. On the **** and eating roast duck for lunch that Sunday. Good bluer and footballer by all accounts. Played 5 games for collingwood in 1920.

Reactions: paulambry
Awesome history there, classo. Much better than the stories on those stupid ancestry dot com ads.

BTW Did anyone have Sir Roger in the DP?

I grew up in Balwyn, from 5 until I left home. That was over 30 years ago. I went to school in Box Hill, then later to high school in North Balwyn (Greythorn High which was Jeffed in the 90s).

I think Balwyn/Mont Albert/Canterbury/Camberwell must have been the most boring suburbs in Melbourne then. Probably still are?? Which is why I presume my upwardly mobile folks moved there from the sticks (Heathmont - which was paddocks when I was a bub).

Still, we seemed to get up to plenty-o-mischief despite the burbs being so dull.

My Old Man was originally from Balwyn. At some stage in his youth he moved to Mt Eliza where they were the only permanent residents living in the street. My grandparents where still there when I was a young kid. I swung past the place a few years back and wow had the area changed. All the houses are now absolutely massive including my old grandparents house which had been renovated to the point I could hardly recognise it. The next door neighbors saw me looking around and invited me in so that I could have a gander over the fence at the old place.

Hey Paul, I remember Greythorn High. I went to Koonung & my older bro went to Kew - all in the same zone for sports I think.

Yeah. I spent some time in Ringwood recently enough, and it proved to me that you're all a bunch of ****ing upper class wankers.
And also, a sunset from the top of whatever they call that hill above Ringwood is bloody ****ing beautiful.
You can keep your hoity toity stories to your ****ingselves.

Now I don't know why I've gotten so het up in the last few months that I've become unfuckingtouchable, like a ****ing leper, but I have. I know it, you know it. Ain't noone replying to no bbp posts nomore. Except Ross. Thankyou Ross. I've never met you but I suspect you may be a giant amongst men.
Alright so yeah, I broke up with the Fartographer, actually no, she broke up with me, because neglect, but I tried to stay her friend. But she wanted to kick my ****. I, I, I held my tongue, was respectful, but then got a bloody mouthful of hell from her, and I won't go into detail. OK, I'm single, I'll focus on other things.
And yeah, bloody ashes spreading, hot tip- if someone you love dies, deal with it quickly. Don't let it drag out.
And of course I've always lacked that selfcencorship gene, which in better times may almost be endearing, but by Crikey I've used the TAN as drunken ****ing solo therapy lately. Which most people would prefer to do one on one with a real therapist and the Hippocratic Oath as a defence against disgrace, but I've chosen a public ****ing forum which you can't even ****ing edit after 20 ****ing minutes. Hey, at least it's free?

I'm sorry. I hope to become a better man one day soon. I have also been trying to address my alcoholism, and cut back, so as I don't ever have to give it up completely. It 's interesting. Your whole organism gets addicted to a certain amount perhaps weekly, so when you consciously cut back a bit for a few days, the binges want harder.
I've had a chance to have a couple of quiet weeks, and I'm much calmer, and we shall see.

Also, last week of the Giro. I liked Blockhaus last week, and don't know what happened last night yet, I'm about to go and watch, but I do have two free Foxtel logins if anyone wants to watch it on Eurosport.