The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

Yeah but nah. Firstly there's a majority of people that missed out on rich families and negative gearing who really need to save their arses off just to rent let alone try and get a mortgage in this country;
    and also Sydney is a special cnut place where even shitty studio apartments likely cost $500 per week, so smarter people reconcile with the idea of sharing a much better place for a much better cost per bed or square metre ratio.
    So sharehousing is fully sensible and definitely back in vogue in this town at least. You've just gotta set your standards right, and make the right compromises with the right people. And also I want to live in a house, not an apartment, with a yard and a shed for my vehicle and work tools and materials. In short, I, like most people in Sydney, can't afford all that on my own.

2. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

3. paulambry

paulambry Well-Known Member

Yeah, having just moved to NSW, I concur entirely. Sydney is ridiculous. And Melbourne's not far behind. I can't see my kids buyng a house in either city unitl my beloved and I shuffle off our mortal coils.

Beepers, I see wisdom in the way you organise your life... to lift a cliche, you "work to live rather than live to work". It would feel way too daring and adventurous for me to adopt that way of living (though 'living' it is). I'm too habituated to the conventional regime to change now. Besides, I'm old enough now to finally enjoy the fruits of serving The Man for four decades.

It is a remakable thing though: in just one generation we've seen housing affordability ebb away, out of reach of our youngsters. And it's hard to imagine that trend changing, despite what lipservice governments pay to reverse the phenomenon.

So I guess we'll adapt, like you have Beepers. Rent. Give up the backyard and live in apartments. Move out of the inner city. Regionalise. Shift asset classes from property into other endevours.

4. cheetahmk7

cheetahmk7 Well-Known Member

I hated Melbourne so I quickly regionalised and later ruralised, meaning I didn't experience the crazy housing prices of Sydney and Melbourne.

paulambry likes this.
  5. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

A case in point re Sydney- I found out today that a 3 bedroom terrace we recently renovated in Redfern, which is still not particularly fancy, just not rundown now, although with some fancy new box gutters and some glass roofing now to let some light into what was a very dark ground floor, just rented out for $1200 per week. And that was two couples who got together to be able to afford that. It's almost the new normal for housing here.

6. cheetahmk7

cheetahmk7 Well-Known Member

Sydney prices are absolutely insane. I'd hate to imagine what a place like ours would cost if it was in Sydney. It would have to be at least ten times what our place is worth.

7. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

So i've rented both of me spare rooms out and they're moving in over the next couple of days. Nice lads. Excellent. Except Dirty's just shown up to throw a spanner in the works. And we are still rocking.

View: https://youtu.be/jlbunmCbTBA

8. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

Dirty's gone to someones' birthday party and I was just acquanting my new flatmate with that old greyhaired blokes ouevre.
    But while we watched old COsmic Psychos videos a mate said my nephew has called his band Cosmic Flanders and said I wonder if they were inspire by the Psychos? To which I answered most likely.

View: https://youtu.be/6eA8HEuvhYw

But more importantly they sound good. And flute. Which just quietly is my new specialty too. It's all fucking amazing.

9. paulambry

Hey Beeps - you know the flute has the same fingering as the sax?!?? Let's swap.

10. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Jethro Tull's Stand Up is a great album.

paulambry likes this.
  11. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

And despite my best intentions I've already blown my cover. Eh.
    Anyway we're gonna do a massive Sunday rotisserie roast, my shout for the new arrivals, and a fucking typical nocturnal dickhead induction, so they can learn shit. Maybe a Burke of bouf or whatever it's called. I'm sure I'll get told.
    You know the rib eye roast with the ribs.

And now they've all fucked off, which is great, and I get to spend some time with people I love.

View: https://youtu.be/UoeF2jzqFUI

12. paulambry

No lip sync or autotune there. Just a touch of magic with the reverb.

Sublime.

13. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

14. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

15. roshea

roshea Well-Known Member

Dammit, another TAN DPF! I had Stephen Hawking in my list from 2014 - 2017 and lost faith in him.

16. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

Come on Ross, this game is like shooting fish in a barrel! If that's an appropriate metaphor

17. classic1

See, that's the problem.

You should have take a scientific-based approach.

18. classic1

Stephen Hawking may have been a wonderful humanist who overcame his disability to become the most famous and possibly brilliant scientist on the planet, but there is one thing about him that has always troubled me. How come no one ever called him out for speaking in that ridiculous faux American accent? Who was he kidding? What a fucking wanker.

bbp and paulambry like this.
  19. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

Some funky plumbing finished today by some cnut with dire manflu. Thank Dog for french flatmates with proper cold tablets with pseudoephidrine.
    IMG_2689.JPG

With some sunset lighting.
    IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2698.JPG
    Sorry I still can't figure out how to get em the right way up.

20. roshea

roshea Well-Known Member

It's a pretty big night with Batman and the SA election. And Gina Rhinehart and Bono running the local pie shop. But with Castlemaine Rock and enough pseudo and Bunning's sausages, everything's gonna be OK. Or something.

View: https://youtu.be/tJmMQZKESCw?t=1h4m56s

EoinC2 and paulambry like this.