The Thread about Nothing....

Last edited:
So I was outside playing basketball with Slobodan in the street and a bloody Camry full of coppers pulled up and went Oy. You can't do that. Gday bloke. Yes we can. And by the way youse are holding up the traffic now. Happy Anzac day.

Went to the handmade bicycle show today. It was good. Dave from Stoemper was a good bloke. Their bikes were ace. I took photos but the pic of the lovely blue steel bike came out blurry. Lame.

I think the chick on the coffee booth wanted to root me, the chubby chaser.

Reactions: roshea
Here's my annual Anzac day rant. The wench doing the boundary rider role at the footy almost made me spew with her take on Anzac day.

It's a commemoration, not a celebration. It's not there to thank servicemen and women for their service for 'defending our way of life', 'protecting our freedom' or to 'defend free speech'. When did these seppo idea enter the lexicon? I blame that arsewipe Howard. It's to remember the dead and recognise the futility of war.
It's a sad irony: I think Monash, our greatest martial practitioner who actually knew the utter horror and futility of war, would be appalled at how it's all turned into a rah-rah festival, underpinned by uniformed sentimentality and bolstered by the absence of any solemn introspection.

The rise of aggressive nationalism across Australia has that tinge of intemperate patriotism while remaining almost entirely ignorant of history and context. When I see those young Australians with earnest tears in their eyes, draped in the Union Jack and Southern Cross, bathing in the dawn rays shining across the Dardanelles, I feel uncomfortable. I’m not sure what to make of it.

Read Paul Keatings views on it
Yes, well, his views seem to have evolved over the years from one sentiment ...

"We have gained a legend: a story of bravery and sacrifice, and with it a deeper faith in ourselves and our democracy, and a deeper understanding of what it means to be Australian" ...to one that seems to repudiate that as "utter nonsense."

“The first world war was a war devoid of any virtue ... Those Australians fought and died not in defence of some old world notion of competing empires and territorial conquests but for the new world – the one they belonged to and hoped to return to ... This is why Australia was never in need of any redemption at Gallipoli, any more than it was in need of one at Kokoda thirty years later. There was nothing missing in our young nation or our idea of it that required the martial baptism of a European cataclysm to legitimise us.”

I agree that we didn't need a war - especially a war devoid of any virtue - to validate us. But I don't agree with the implication that because we ostensibly belonged to "the new world" we were immune or insulated from the ramificaitons of WW1. It mattered then. It still has its effects today.

The giro starts tomorrow. I'm hoping anyone but Froome wins. That includes Ricardo Ricco should he decide to make a comeback in the next 24 hours

Reactions: roshea
I love this photo. Glorious rubbish in all its....glory.

Avocet computer mounts, downtube levers, a double downtube carbon colnago, mavic zap on the tt bikes, different bars on some of the bikes (suspect they threw the bikes together for the shot, Rominger normally used ergo bars), old school look pedals, Rolls saddles on the bikes except for the carbon tt bike, beautiful mavic side pull brake calipers which were rebranded dia-compe, the heavy ugly mavic cranks......

Plus the veins popping in Romingers legs.

9-Rominger.jpg

Last edited:
Daughter took a week out of training to do a trip with me riding a XR onefitty around the Far North of Vietnam. We took a large format camera (along with a couple of other film cameras, + 1 digital), just to be uber-practical...
C005 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A004 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

D002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

After that, I think she'll be glad to be back pedalling around a nice smooth velodrome.

Reactions: steve
Chur, Wilchemy - Helps me retain a small amount of sanity (at least in my mind). Good fun teaching my daughter to use large format. Here's one of her shots from Hanoi...
B001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Reactions: steve
Lovely stuff Eoin. Can I be your guest son please?
Related, actually hopefully not, I sent an email tonight. To this bloke.
https://www.childabuseroyalcommissi...- Jehovahs Witnesses - Day 153 - 05082015.pdf

Dear Mr Stewart, my name is Steve Foster, and I wish to to congratulate you for your efforts in the Royal Commission into Institutional responses to child sexual abuse, particularly as related to Jehovah's Witnesses.

For context I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness until 24yo or thereabouts, at which point I wrote a poem of resignation and handed it to my father who was an elder. And that was that, or so I naively hoped. I had no history of child sexual abuse, nor any awareness of such being institutional, despite heavy corporal discipline, but I have struggled in the 20 odd years since I left that church to come to terms with ... ****, everything. There is a real brutality inherent in that religion.
I'd thought I was strong enough to walk away and get on with my life, but the concept of lost or estranged family in particular has been very powerful, and after some rather less than satisfactory attempts to discuss this with my parents this last year I have undertaken some counselling since. I have been surprised at the potential for weekly discussions of my issues to undermine my equilibrium and have only this week started researching the JW's, or more specifically exJW's online. Amongst many links I found that the Royal Commission you participated in is front and centre in much of the current discussion. I had seen mention of it in the press at the time and read articles, but did not choose to research further at the time.

I initially read the Reports and then the second case, and a few of the documents of the Royal Commission over this last weekend, but found myself wanting to delve deeper; and I have since, to the detriment of my business spent the last few days reading the daily transcripts. I think I'm up to the second last day of Case 29 now. I'm up to O'Brien. By Christ, Toole was a tool.

It is more than clear to me that the church's instinct to keep Jehovah's name clean comes at massive cost to so many, certainly not least vulnerable children. I must admit I had never heard of the two witness rule despite having undergone a judicial committee hearing once myself, for self confessed consensual adult fornication btw ;) and certainly now understand how such a policy is a boon to child abusers in particular, amongst other nonconfessers. Although confession of sin is an oddly inherently powerful instinct for JW's, at least for those who grew up in that religion.
I still, strangely, feel some desire to defend the JW's in some respects. They really do generally do what it says on the can, and I kinda hate myself for still somehow feeling that after all the pain they've brought me. But they kinda are decent as Christians go? But not despite the sweeping **** under the carpet. 1006 child abusers and 1700 plus victims in their own records, times what for undisclosed offences? which none of us had ever thought even remotely possible due to their squeaky clean selective concept of confidentiality, and not one reported to authorities by the church? **** em.

Eh. I am contacting you now to thank you. You clearly put the effort in beforehand to not only divine what to ask for, but also read all of the documents provided, and research well besides, and you had a particular ability to sift the wheat from the chaff, and understand the system, and in an honourable manner hold the bastards to account.
Congrats.I wish you well in your career.

I also wish to insist on a nonnegotiable national approach to mandatory reporting, and responsibility, with concrete penalties for noncompliance. I personally feel that organisations who do not prove to have complied should lose their taxfree/religious/charitable status in this country.

But over and above that, thank you, personally, for what was clearly a courageous and diligent effort on your behalf.
I'm not sure it'll gel, but given your obvious research so far, maybe it will.
You have indeed been a faithful and discreet slave.

Reactions: EoinC2
Powerful letter, Beepers. Rebellion is good at getting us out of a situation, but it doesn't pick up the pieces. Sometimes it's only when we are older that we can fully come to terms with those broken pieces. Good work on your part.
If a guest son position becomes available, I'll put in a word with the bouncers. Be aware, though, that the queue is not very long - Actually you are it. Here's a selfie, so you can recognise me...
b021 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Malaysia has decided to have a 2nd and 3rd holiday, based on the General Election, so, having returned from a very quiet workplace, I have some time to develop films.
Hanoi, Vietnam (shot by daughter / pack-horsing by father)...
(Shen Hao 4x5 w/ Fujinar 165 - Kodak Tri-X 320 film)
C001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr