The Thread about Nothing....

DPF. Albert Finney.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Go you. Chapeau to anyone who does that race.

Thanks mate.
Hey Steve, what does your training regime look like for the Warny? Are you doing big kays? Motor-pacing? Practicing wheel-sucking (that'd be the only way I'd ever get to the end)?

I'm not doing massive K's. Some weeks up around 7-800 if I have a day or two off work, somewhere between 500-550km would be the average, so 17-18 hours or there abouts. Lots of interval sessions focusing on power output. Mark O'brien has been helping me with training etc. since I bumped into him over in Belgium, its going along pretty well.

Some recent examples;

This is a 90min sesh on Wednesday before work where I did some under/overs. So 3 mins at say 370 ish then 1 at 450ish then 3 370is then 1 at 450ish they start to hurt pretty quick and you'll see the power drops off a bit by the third set etc.. https://www.strava.com/activities/2126683849/overview

The next day was just a tempo type session averaging about 310 watts for an hour and a half, it's at that intensity you can ride for 3 or 4 hours if you're going ok. https://www.strava.com/activities/2128928281/overview Then something similar that evening.

Today is a killer session basically 5 hours broken into 1 hr blocks. It either snaps you or brings you up like you wouldn't believe :) I usually don't do the 5th hour very well, peddling squares by then.

hr 1: 30 mins @ 340-370 watts
hr 2: 2 x 15min @ 360-380 watts
hr 3: 3 x 10min @ 380-400 watts
hr 4: 4 x 5min @ 420+
hr 5: 5 x 1min @ max

The first two hours where done on the trainer, hopefully the rain stops soon and i'll do the last 3 outside. For a bike rider, i'm pretty soft. Its usually about a 160-170km day.

Prob race SKCC crit tomorrow and do 3-4 hours of junk k's in the arvo. This will end up being 150-180km in total.

Generally also have two days off each week, monday and friday. If i do ride, its something like 15-20km at snails pace! A lot of people don't value recovery days enough and are just in a constant state of fatigue, i certainly used to be.

A few years ago I never thought i'd be fit again, so even though i'm too old to have any lofty goals, i'm just having fun seeing whats possible. We're both hanging to get back to Europe this year.

HAHA after that rant the last half of today's session was a bit of a fail. It snapped me today :D

Fark, that first session looks awful. Your overall figures are impressive, even with the drop off. Not too shabby at all.
  • Total Work 1,572kJ
  • Weighted Avg Power 329W
  • Training Load 121
  • Intensity 91%
The 5 hours session looks mad.

If you've flattened yourself that's good Steve. You aren't gonna have anymore gains between now and the race. Maybe one more long ride, the rest is ticking the legs over, a few sprints to keep sharp.

Since it's been a scratch race the early break often succeeds. Hard to get in though. If you can't get in it, it's conserve conserve conserve. It's a long way. Will be an unusual race with the new course too. Narrow roads nearly the whole way. Lots of up and down. I'd be expecting echelons all day. You'll need to be willing to push in and roll through, but not smash the turns.

Reactions: steve
Great points mate. You've no doubt forgotten more about racing than the rest of us know! I think conserve conserve conserve will be my strategy.

Nah, you'd know more **** about scientific training.

I've never raced more than 200km. 260 is a looooong way. It's actually eat drink conserve.

Nah, you'd know more **** about scientific training.

I've never raced more than 200km. 260 is a looooong way. It's actually eat drink conserve.

Yeah but the stuff that counts hasn't changed and that's what I struggle with after spending so long time out of the sport. So always keen for some of your insight, the little bits you've shared have been very useful.

The missus is doing feeds. Her health wasn't so good for awhile and I missed Tour of Bright and Nationals because of that. She has done this overseas enough for me not to want anyone else to basically look after the stuff I don't need to think about. She's the best DS and old guy like me could want. ;)

She has been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. We're happy it's not cancer, however crohn's is still a life changing ******* of a thing to have.

I thought he'd carked it years ago.

Some blokes tried similar secession thing at Cowaar way back when. I'll see if I can find it

Beeps, I reckon working with sullen, grunting teenage students - many of whom would rather be playing video games or getting on the **** - would make one somewhat peevish. Probably ranks up there with being in retail and dealing with the public all the time. Stab them... stab them all.

Or maybe you're just entering your curmudgeon years. Either way, you would have to be the most mild-mannered cranky-pants that I've ever met. What do you do when you're really really angry... raise an eyebrow?

Hmm yeah but no. I had said I dunno what's changed around me lately. Wrong. I do know.
I've changed. I got used to purposefully being just successful enough to get by in life. I probably thought that working as little as possible was an artform. How little horrible work as a small business owner can I do to survive, and maintain a nice pisshead lifestyle? But I have moved on from that lately. I knew I was sick of it years ago, and a couple of years ago was seriously considering studying. But what? What did I want to be? An engineer maybe? What kind? Aerodynamics maybe? But then teaching came up. Yeah why not? It was good. And to be an effective teacher I had to learn to harness my ability to be in control, not only of myself, but others too. It IS good. I am becoming better at being effective.

But as to being mildmannered crankypants, hell no, when I arc up I'm..., well I used to be furiously hardarsed, but I'm moving on. Hmm, raising an eyebrow might be my new response. Thankyou.

I got asked by a mate of a mate to at least rehearse to play in a band this week. That's nice. I said my sax is ****ed and I haven't played it in years, but I've got my b team of flute and vocals up to scratch, kind of.
That generally scares the rock blokes off straight away. But he's ****ing replied again. Now I'm scared.

Thanks mate.

I'm not doing massive K's. Some weeks up around 7-800 if I have a day or two off work, somewhere between 500-550km would be the average, so 17-18 hours or there abouts. Lots of interval sessions focusing on power output. Mark O'brien has been helping me with training etc. since I bumped into him over in Belgium, its going along pretty well.

Some recent examples;

This is a 90min sesh on Wednesday before work where I did some under/overs. So 3 mins at say 370 ish then 1 at 450ish then 3 370is then 1 at 450ish they start to hurt pretty quick and you'll see the power drops off a bit by the third set etc.. https://www.strava.com/activities/2126683849/overview

The next day was just a tempo type session averaging about 310 watts for an hour and a half, it's at that intensity you can ride for 3 or 4 hours if you're going ok. https://www.strava.com/activities/2128928281/overview Then something similar that evening.

Today is a killer session basically 5 hours broken into 1 hr blocks. It either snaps you or brings you up like you wouldn't believe :) I usually don't do the 5th hour very well, peddling squares by then.

hr 1: 30 mins @ 340-370 watts
hr 2: 2 x 15min @ 360-380 watts
hr 3: 3 x 10min @ 380-400 watts
hr 4: 4 x 5min @ 420+
hr 5: 5 x 1min @ max

The first two hours where done on the trainer, hopefully the rain stops soon and i'll do the last 3 outside. For a bike rider, i'm pretty soft. Its usually about a 160-170km day.

Prob race SKCC crit tomorrow and do 3-4 hours of junk k's in the arvo. This will end up being 150-180km in total.

Generally also have two days off each week, monday and friday. If i do ride, its something like 15-20km at snails pace! A lot of people don't value recovery days enough and are just in a constant state of fatigue, i certainly used to be.

A few years ago I never thought i'd be fit again, so even though i'm too old to have any lofty goals, i'm just having fun seeing whats possible. We're both hanging to get back to Europe this year.

Reading this makes me feel excited for you, but quite empty for me. This was the year that my youngest child started school and when I was planning to ride the Warny, but instead I have some post viral thing going on that has dragged on for nearly two years. I do think back fondly to the last week before I got sick and felt like I'd just made a nice breakthrough being able to average over 35 km/h at a really comfortable intensity https://www.strava.com/activities/908253007 and being awarded this by a psychologist friend the day prior to coming down with the virus.

Last edited: