The Thread about Nothing....

I'm losing track of what I've posted, but hopefully your memories are as ****ed up as mine, so you won't notice if / when I repeat.
Afghanistan and Pakistan's Northwest Frontier Province (Mujahideenland) in 1990-91...
B007 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B006 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B004 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B008 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and a selfie...
B005 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

There's a couple of reasons why the shots are so shithouse:
1) The film was a cheap-arsed orthochromatic copy film (like was used for microfiche ie Black.....and....White), and
2) I'd forgotten I ever took a camera with me up there. I found 2 exposed films in an old box during a visit home last year, and decided I'd stand develop them. 1 came out with nothing, and this was the other one, ~28 years after I shot it.

Reciprocity failure says the fartographer. Who looks ****ing hot in her suit btw.
Hearing one of your 28yo film survived undeveloped gives me hope for two rolls from the 1992 TdF I never got developed. I'm sure they're still around hre somewhere.

Nice funeral today. Interestingly the women and the gay blokes kept their **** together. It was the straight blokes who blubbered. Don't be sad about what you've lost. Be glad you had it in the first place.

Reactions: EoinC2
Reciprocity failure says the fartographer. Who looks ****ing hot in her suit btw.
Hearing one of your 28yo film survived undeveloped gives me hope for two rolls from the 1992 TdF I never got developed. I'm sure they're still around hre somewhere.

Nice funeral today. Interestingly the women and the gay blokes kept their **** together. It was the straight blokes who blubbered. Don't be sad about what you've lost. Be glad you had it in the first place.

You are allowed to be both

I read this

https://www.amazon.com/Beast-Emperor-Milkman-Bone-shaking-Heartlands/dp/1472945042

Not bad. He paints Freddy Maertens as a hick (which if you’ve ever read “fall from grace” you’ll agree) and Roger De Vlaminck as a bit of a *****. I’ll never forgive dad for lending that Freddy book out. I knew it would never come back. It’s now impossible to get and goes for a fortune on the interwebs.

The most memorable bit is Eddy Plankaert claiming he jizzed in his knicks in the 88 Tour of Flanders chasing Phil Anderson in one of his 65000 attacks in the final. Still one of the best one day races I’ve ever seen. Look for it on YouTube.

Best bike races I’ve watched, off the top of my head.

87 worlds
89 worlds
09 worlds (not being parochial, was a cracker of a race)
16 Paris Roubaix (as above, maybe the best race I’ve ever seen along with the first two races on this list)
11 sanremo ( maybe a bit parochial on this, but a sprint between guns who’d smashed **** out of one another in the last 10km)
85 Flanders
84 Liege
86 sanremo
94 sanremo (just to see Furlan go full retard on the poggio)
92 sanremo
11 Flanders (great race, and I looked like an oracle calling Nuyens as the winner about 10km to go)
17 Flanders
84 Belgian road champs (the speed in the final is insane)

Paris Roubaix has generally been really good the last few years. I also reckon Paris Tours is way underrated. It’s nearly always a good final.

Reciprocity failure says the fartographer...
Reciprocity failure occurs when shooting, and is the non-linear reaction of the emulsion to low light. There was no problem with the light on those shots - Just not a very suitable (read "cheap-arsed") film, combined with decades of sitting unkempt in a cardboard box, that underwent a number of house and Country moves.
Not knowing what the films were, I stand-developed as the 'sure-bet' way of getting whatever was on there to appear. I'm not a big fan of stand-developing, but needs must, and I didn't expect to get anything.
Here's another one pulled from a closet. This was on a cargo ship from Samarinda in Kalimantan Timur (Indonesian Borneo) across to Surabaya, back in 1987-8...
B003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B005 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B004 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

You are allowed to be both
Yeah. Thanks. It was interesting. I'd met the lovely cnut 18 odd years ago. Through Waldo. I think it was the day he chose to stop drinking which of course I did not, but which I could respect. It was nice to find out he'd been born in Cooma, and grew up in Ingleburn, and then travelled Africa, India, the Kush, the Middle East before he fell in love with Zell Am See, and spent many years skiilng backwards with a big film camera on his shoulder. And then the endless winter, Thredbo and Austria until he got sick of it. And stopped in Sydney. And became a bit more gay than he had been prior. But not an issue, still a proper brother like I'd never had, and we loved our free SCG Members tickets. And I found out he'd had a boyfriend for 18 years who he'd never talked about, and I'd never met, and who I'd never needed to pressure for information about, but who braved out his shyness and spoke well in the goodbye Philthy moment.
It was subtle and poignant, and true. And sad. And beautiful. RIP Philthy Phil.

Also I might be the luckiest **** in the world. I was rabbiting on on the phone and then a knock, and my neighbour gifted me a really nice pizza. ****ing yeah.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/wLCmxMrgfDA
Thanks, Beepers. I never cease to be amazed at how songs are constructed, and how the most bizarre inclusion can seem just an unnoticed part of the whole, until it is dissected...Which leaves me thinking "How the ferk did he / she think of that?"

View: https://youtu.be/VbD_kBJc_gI
Choice.
Got me thinking (A dangerous activity) - This was the first cover I ever played in a band...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U16Xg_rQZkA

Classo said:
94 sanremo (just to see Furlan go full retard on the poggio)
\
Skip to about 30:00 for the start of the Poggio and at 34:00 watch Furlan's rims flashing in the sun as his turbo spools up... unbelievable... thanks Classo.

That was an incredible finish. Van der Poel is a machine, even if Alaphillipe and Fuglsang hadn't fannied about they may not have stayed away to fight it out