The Thread about Nothing....

My son is with me tonight and is staying on the weekend. He lives in a different electorate so I took him up to prepoll note.

He was whinging about it, and has no idea about politics. I explained to him he needs to vote for his own self interest.

'Think about your current situation and remember things like welfare, training, education and health support are best provided by the ALP. Also consider the fact that if I ever find out you voted for the coalition, one nation or the UAP, you'll be able to ponder your poor choices in your new home living under a bridge'.

I suspect my cutting through the ******** to highlight the things that truly matter means he had a the clarity of thinking required for him to make a properly informed vote.

Reactions: matagi and steve
Lols, my mum was a dyed in the wool National voter (NZ equivalent of Liberal), and I never told her I ever voted Labour until way later in life when her political ideals had moved more towards the centre

Reactions: paulambry
I thought so.

His mother is possibly more of a red ragger than me, and she works in social services, so either way he needed to vote accordingly. I also told him how important and potentially tight the senate vote is and not to **** his vote away by voting informal. Suspect he may have voted green. He isn’t saying and I didn’t ask. I think the green candidate might have gone to his high school.

Reactions: steve
Also, near DPF. classic1. Just spent six days in hospital with diverticulitis that cause a pin hole perforation of my bowel. Ace.
Hell Classo. A mate of mine had that and he said it was excruciating. Did you need surgical intervention? And how are you faring now?

Also, near DPF. classic1. Just spent six days in hospital with diverticulitis that cause a pin hole perforation of my bowel. Ace.
That really is sith, Classo. I hope it all clear up quick. Best lay off that pin-eating party trick for a while.

Fartographer reckon this is an amazing music video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/hTGJfRPLe08

I dunno. Cultural dysphasia? She's adamant there's no CGI...
'ere's 'ow...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6CH18yyQyE

In this week's good news, I went on a drive with an Angolan colleague down to the Kwanza River in the weekend. Where we wanted to go was closed, 'cos the President was visiting, so we headed across the river, and ended up on a drive 40k's into a National Park.
We hopped on an old Unimog there, with a ranger, a driver, and 3 of their kids, and went for a couple of hours bush-bash. Saw a family of about 8 giraffe, a gnunch of gnu, antelopes, deer, guinea fowl and other critters. It was ferkin' grouse (although we didn't see any grouse). The giraffes were ferkin' oarsum - not scared at all.
What was really great is that the kids, although they live in the park, were as excited about every animal as if it were their first time of seeing them. I've never been on a safari, nor really had any desire to do so, but this was ferkin' special, and we were the only peeps out there. The day cost me about $20, including lunch for both of us. Best ROI in many a day.

Hell Classo. A mate of mine had that and he said it was excruciating. Did you need surgical intervention? And how are you faring now?
It felt like someone sticking a knife in my guts. Not constantly, but it would come and go. No surgery. The quack said about 1 in 10 need an op. Antibiotics and no food to rest it until the inflammation reduces normally fixes it. I had it once about five hears ago but a course of antibiotics fixed it. It's still tender, very localised though. I'm on low fibre until late next week to let it recover. I'm going to have something small and bland tonight like 2 min noodles or soup as its tender and I worked today.

Hey Classo, as Beebers said - you need to get on the fibre (once everything has settled down obviously). You really want to get on top of it and avoid further flare ups because each one increases the chances that you will need surgical intervention. The suggestion of psyllium is a good one, but start slowly and build up to a "full dose" to avoid cloggage and also just in case you're one of those odd people who get diarrhoea when they take psyllium (like me!). Cheapest way to get it is psyllium husk from the health food store (Woolies sometimes stock it too).

Reactions: classic1 and steve
Good to hear you are on the mend,Classo. Sounds like a nasty situation for sure.

I can't believe your young bloke is of voting age, either.... I recall posts when you came up to the track cycling in Melbourne when he was a genuinely young fella.
I suppose I tend to forget how long the TAN has existed in its various forms until something like that sort of serves as a reminder in a way.

Reactions: classic1
Hey Classo, as Beebers said - you need to get on the fibre (once everything has settled down obviously). You really want to get on top of it and avoid further flare ups because each one increases the chances that you will need surgical intervention. The suggestion of psyllium is a good one, but start slowly and build up to a "full dose" to avoid cloggage and also just in case you're one of those odd people who get diarrhoea when they take psyllium (like me!). Cheapest way to get it is psyllium husk from the health food store (Woolies sometimes stock it too).

Spoke to the dietitian. I'm not hugely far off getting enough fibre, despite my **** poor diet a few nights a week. A couple of minor changes and I should be good, though I'll grab some psyllium next time I'm in Coles. Pretty sure they have it in their ghey food section, next to the leather chaps, Kylie Minogue cds and ky jelly.

I have cereal 5-6 days a week. Will start eating high fibre. ******** the corn flakes and toasted muesli. Instead I'll have porridge, bircher or weetbix. Wholemeal sandwiches, a bit more fruit and a bit more broccoli and spinach at dinner should do the trick. I have pasta once a week usually, I'll get wholemeal every second time. I toss it in with tomato, bacon, garlic, spring onion, chilli and spinach which goes OK. I'm not stressing, just need to be a little less lazy

Good to hear that you’re over the worst of it, Classo. Take care of yourself​

Hey Gus - you missed Steve's (bbp) horrible anus and Classo's near death diverticulitis experience, otherwise not much.

Oh yeah, did anyone have Bob Hawke?

2019 TAN Dead Pool
roshea
: Olivia Newton-John, Olivia de Havilland, Jan Ullrich
62vette: Jimmy Carter, Pierre Cardin, Betty White
classic1 - Sean Connery, Valerie Giscard d'Estaing, Rupert ****face Murdoch
paul: Bob Hawke, Warren Buffett, Len Ainsworth.
Steve: Billy Connolly, Kirk Douglas, Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh
Wilchemy: Vera Lynn, Steven Tyler, Bert Newton
Swampy: Nancy Pelosi, Amy Schumer, Van Morrison
Matagi: Jim Carrey, Johnny Depp, Eva Marie Saint

Yep, top of the leader board is Paulie. **** we are ****. Nearly 6 months in to get on the scoreboard

I don't think it will be the last. Surely some of the oldies we've picked will shuffle off this year.

I've often thought of picking some of the Rollings Stones, but I'm beginning to think they're immortal. Did anyone see the clip of Jagger rehearsing his dance moves yesterday - strutting like a teenager just weeks after having one of his heart valves fixed... c'mon - I mean really - they must have all made a pact with the devil. That must have been one busy crossroad.