The Thread about Nothing....

I raced on one for a few months when I was 14. It was a late 70s one with the fugly bolt at the top of the seat stay cluster. Was a heap of ****. Would get front derailleur rub, sometimes even dropping on the little ring. The forks were ****ed too. Stripped thread, headset would come loose so I'd have to hand tighten the headset about ten times during an hour crit. Of course, I was so good I still won races on it against the c grade seniors on a regional level but that goes without saying.

Having said that, I'd have a later one or carbon one in a heartbeat.

Reactions: EoinC2
:) Gold.
Now
I was on a rant last night but I meant it, but apparently I wasn't alone having read some press today, I was also inaccurate, Adani will supposedly build their own railway, but of course it will be a tax deduction, so close enough. It is important to get your **** right if you're gonna complain though because these ****ers pay for very expensive PR teams and lawyers to find any inaccuracies in their critics' statements. So please help me get it right when I'm not quite. I don't want my home invaded by the NLP or their Federal Police cronies.

For the second time this year three plumbing teachers went for friday arvo beers after work this eve. It was good. And not least because I'd been encouraged to apply for a fulltime teaching job months ago, interview next wednesday. They want me, that's GOOD. I'm still casual, and teach face to face 19hrs per week, 3 nights, 1 day. Add in the marking and other prep and it's probably a 30-35hr week, much of it unpaid, but that's another matter, and the casual hourly rate is not to be sneezed at. Fulltime is only 20hrs face to face teaching, 35hrs paid, so I'm close already timewise. But the big difference is fulltime teaching is not negotiably 4 8hr days present onsite. Which would kill my actual plumbing business, or at least my ability to deliver to my builders and architect when they need those occasional big tradie weeks from their plumber to keep the project on target. So am I willing to put all of my eggs in a government job basket? I don't think so. The reason I chose to get qualified to teach was because I was bored with the monotony of 25years of the same tradie ****, it's bloody hard work when you're a one man band, but by the same token, I know I'd feel the same about being a fulltime teacher in very short order. The beaurocracy and systems alone would kill my joie de vivre stone dead if it was all I was doing, not to mention muppets fulltime. **** the $90-100k salary, which is triple what I've made on average prior to teaching, but then I wasn't the hardest working tradie you've ever met.
It's the variety, and even more specifically the freedom, lifestyle choice, that rocks my boat. You don't get that to same level as you do as a sole trader. I want to get approved as a fulltime teacher, but I'll likely say no to the job if I get offered it. But I'll be on the approved list most importantly, and if a fulltime job gets offered in a campus in another place in NSW, hmm, that salary sounds nice with the much lower living costs than innercity Sydney, and no need to try to build a business and new customer base in a new town.
It's a nice conundrum to be in, I must say.

Not to mention I'd only get the chance to escape on school holidays. Which is strictly true now even as a casual but Urrgh. I haven't missed a class in the nearly two years I've been doing it so far, so it'd not be so different really. At least I'd be getting paid to take 11 weeks off a year to find the special lonely spots. I definitely need to buy a 4wd to get to the places without families of muppets in such times.
Speaking of which, it's not off the beaten track at all, but Darker Days beer festival at Bright the weekend after the winter solstice. Three weeks away, come one, come all. Dirty and I are locked in. Might be a bit cold for camping though? Not sure. AirB+B or a pub is prolly more sensible. Not school holidays. Yay.

****ing funny. I rang a hotel in Bright. Gday might pop down in few weeks. How much for a twin share room? I mean his name is Dirty but it's not like that. Oh and what's the temperature right now? 2. Yeah it's worth getting a room.
Dirty is an AirB+B 5star supplier of Phillip Island accomodation so I'm sure we can do better than $130 per night twin share.
But then there was the Bright Velo Hotel. I mean he sounded lovely but I got hint of Ekimov. I might pop over for breakfast , at noon, to talk about the local trails?
Nope. It's locked in. Triple share. Alpine Hotel. There's a spare bed in the room. I don't snore unless I'm really drunk, apparently.

Beebers, something to also consider is that your qualification is a national one so you are not locked into NSW. You could conceivably move elsewhere if the mood took you.

I can't help you with your decision, although it sounds like you have pretty much made up your mind. I was recently offered a permanent contract and accepted it only because I could keep my current hours (0.75FTE) because the flexibility of that time off was important to me.

Sounds like a good idea to separate getting the qualification, and the full-time job, Beepers. As Ma’ says, having the qualification gives you options.
In general, it sounds like you actually enjoy the teaching (including it’s frustrations), but not enough to want to give up your current hybrid.
I do a lot of work on attracting and retaining personnel, and with motivating them. Money is not a good driver. People latch onto it as a measure, because it’s tangible, and empirical, but it isn’t what gets someone to perform or stay. Doing something you feel connected with, and that you add value to (and, hopefully, are respected and recognised for) is much more likely to bring the buzz.
Follow your heart.

My woot for today - Came back to KL to not having paid my electrickery and water bills for the last 3 months, and everything’s still connected and running. She-who-must-be-obeyed flies in tonight, and I doubt if she’d be over the Moon about a dark, dry apartment, so that’s one less problemo.

I didn't end up taking many snaps in Angola - Too much other stuff going on. I've got 4-1/2 films to develop, but here's a digital from the Monochrom. I foobarred the focus - Using a rangefinder in a dark area, with uber-bright sunlight outside, and not wearing my glasses resulted in a pretty crappy shot, but the kid was having fun...
A002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Cheers for the replies, Ma and Eoin, some food for thought. Prior to friday beers with the other teachers, I'd been under the impression I could likely keep the current 3 evenings, 1 day thing, or similar going, but no, the nonteaching hours need to be on campus. So really at least 4 8hr days there. And days start at 7am which is definitely not my strength. I dunno, if I went to 2 days and 2 nights that could ostensibly be 2 7am starts and 2 1pm starts. But that's still not enough free tooltime- 1 full day and 2 half days a week will not keep the builders happy, so I'd lose them. I'd essentially become maintenance only.
Interestingly, I can't give my business up even if I went fulltime, because we have to prove Vocational Currency every year. Discussing it with one the head teachers as candidly on friday as I have here may not have done me any favours either, although he's not on the selection committee. Eh there's no point bulshitting them or myself.

Reactions: EoinC2 and steve
Hey fellas

We're heading back overseas next month. As you know last year I got my **** kicked everywhere over there (happened the time before too), though learnt heaps, had a lot of fun and met some great people. When we got back I hooked up with a really good coach and we added some planning and structure to my training and as you can see by the following graph, I'll be heading back with a completely different set of tools :cool:

Works starting to get in the way, so I reckon this will be the last time I go over there properly fit. Next time will have more of a beer and frites focus I reckon.

upload_2019-6-9_17-50-41.png

Reactions: EoinC2 and Wilchemy
Go Steve! I reckon it’s great that you are able to do it, and really hope the extra focus & coaching pays off. But still have some time for beers & frites too, on preparation for future journeys :D

Reactions: steve
Give it the big hit out, Steve. Kudos for doing, rather than talking about. Incidentally, there's nothing wrong with competitive beers 'n' frites, too.