The Thread about Nothing....

Hi, All. An aimless update...
I’m tootling along back in Angola. Currently sitting in Cabinda, a small province sandwiched between Republic of Congo and Democratic Republic of Congo. It has a separatist bent, being a major source of oil, whilst having no land connection with the rest of Angola.
I head back to Luanda at the end of the week. I should be over here until late September, then back to KL, where I hopefully have my new motorbike waiting expectantly. 1 week to run-in and 1st oil change, then a 1-month ride up through Thailand to a foray through Northern Laos, and back down to KL.
Daughter’s just had a 2nd surgery on her foobarred knee, removing bits and pieces and excessive scar tissue in an effort to get the extension increased. All good so far, and BikeNZ have been fantastic in supporting her. Stunningly awesomely fantastic, in fact.
Zero TdF coverage / following, but life is good. I’m trying to insert vid’s of Luanda, but failing miserably. Only have a film camera with me this time, so pic’s are months away.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of iPhone shots of Cabinda...
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    686.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: paulambry
I hope your daughter's repair job goes well and produces the kind of results she's hoping for.

What's your new motor Eoin?
Chur, P.
Daughter and doctors seem happy with the excavation work.
I’ve got an Enfield Interceptor 650 swimming from Madras to Kuala Lumpur, supposedly arriving this month. Where I’m heading is Puggy Clay City, so I’m hoping to change over to some slightly more off-roady tyres after run-in, but they are hard to get in the whacky 18” rim sizes that Enfield chooses to bless us with.
Loop up through Thailand is roughly KL > Sungai Golok (old haunt from when I used to commute by train from Northern Thailand to East Coast Malaysia) > Krabi > Hua Hin > Bangkok > Mae Sot > Lampang to visit family > Chiangmai > Chiang Rai > Mae Sai > Chiang Khong and into Laos at Houayxai. Then it’s a couple of weeks of taking a road bike where I has no right to go around the North and North East of Laos, before coming back down via Isaan, Thailand. Trip is currently looking like 29 days, but I’m sure much will change in the routing. Planning is really just to keep my mind active until I set out - My greatest experiences have always been when the plan has fallen by the wayside.
I can only make 2 land entries into Thailand in a calendar year, and this trip will use up both of the 2019 quota (Malaysia > Thailand and Laos > Thailand).
Although I’m enjoying Angola, I’m like a kid on Xmas eve for this voyage - New inappropriate bike, old & new paths, tail end of wet season, incompetent old fool - Great combo.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCHTRthVT4

Great bike choice. The sort of moto you can fix with fencing wire. Sounds like an ace trip.

Funny thing is - they're really expensive in Australia. A decade ago they were cheap as chips but then the retro fad took off and they became really popular.

Reactions: EoinC2
Great bike choice. The sort of moto you can fix with fencing wire. Sounds like an ace trip.

Funny thing is - they're really expensive in Australia. A decade ago they were cheap as chips but then the retro fad took off and they became really popular.
Indeed, air / oil-cooled, low compression, less horsepower than a wet paper bag. The only fancy shite is ABS and EFI, and they aren’t by choice.
They are expensive in Malaysia, too, but not because of popularity - It’s because of the 130% Duty aimed at protecting the local market of stepthru’s.
I have an old Enfield Bullet (1974?) down in Perth in “project” status. I haven’t ridden it for about 10 years (along with a 1968 B1L and a TY250N trials bike, which have probably not been ridden for 15-20years).
The weird thing is that it was my wife (who complains about my never-finished projects) who suggested I get the Interceptor to help keep me marginally sane over the next few years. On a visit to KL a couple of months ago she even hauled me out to the dealer to make me take a couple of demo’s out for test rides... She must be up to something...

Reactions: paulambry
Sounds like that will be a hell of a trip Eoin!
I just feel sorry for the good citizens of the Countries that have to suffer me...
I’m really looking forward to getting back to Laos. I first snuck in there in 1986/7, and took my family over there for an epic adventure in 2004, where we first took a slow boat down the Mekong, then headed up to the Chinese border near Muang Sing, then across to the Myanmar border at Xiengkok, and talked a long-tail owner into taking us back down the Mekong (through some disturbingly large rapids) to the Golden Triangle to get back to Thailand. I had an inflatable kayak with me, and managed to display my lack of skill on several occasions, including paddling downstream from Xiengkok, and being unable to paddle back up, or to exit the river.
This is part of where I’m headed to - Excellent scope for a gutless road bike and a gormless pilot...
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=207&v=rYjKx-IC7X0

It’s a road bike paradise, although you may have an inkling as to why I want to get slightly more aggressive tyres than the Pirelli Phantom highway killers the bike comes with...
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fUi5vWhJrBs
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VvIvjOBaN0E

But still able to sneak in the 1,864 asphaltic curves of Mae Hong Son in Northern Thailand...
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgEB9goVMK0

Last edited:
I was disappointed. I totally get they had to make the call they did, but I wanted to see the finish.

Feel really sorry for Pinot too.

My sentiments exactly Classo. I wanted to see if Alaphilippe smashed them on the descent. Not sure if he would have hung on to the overall lead, but would have liked to see him try. He gave it everything up the Iseran. Gutsy ride.

And yeah... Tibot out in a flood of tears. What a **** way to exit when you're in with such a chance.

When I saw the overhead shots of the front end loader shovelling all that water, mud and ice, it's clear they made the ride call. It would have been carnage because all the leaders knew there was so much at stake.

That was looking like it was heading to a “what will happen” finish, until the Snow Gods decided to intervene.

There's footage of a mud slide running across the road getting around on the web as well. Even taking away the ice and flooded road, there was a worse blockage further on.

Agree with you blokes, a disappointing finish but they had no choice in the end.
Apparently tonight’s stage has been shortened by around half too, due to damage to the roads

Yeah, I saw the footage of that mudslide just now. No one was getting through that.

And just when the Tour can't get more interesting, it does. As you point out Wil, this shortened stage opens things up a bit. What a cracker.