The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. paulambry

paulambry Well-Known Member

Beepers, you sound like every teacher I've ever known. Same same complaints - one and all. Teachers are so undervalued and underpaid. And probably too many of them go in with ideals that soon get shredded and they end up being the opposite of everything they set out to be. Such a shame - it's such an important part of our growing up.

2. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Don’t unnecessarily burn bridges

3. paulambry

I'll be interested to see if the High Court grants Pell leave to appeal. I put his chances at about 25%.

4. paulambry

Hey Wil, I found an example of what we were discussing about Tommy Emmanuel and Doyle Dykes... both of them playing Classical Gas. Tommy's style is just so over-packed, every rendition sounds like non-stop fireworks, whereas Doyle tends to let the melody through. You don't need to play them right through - it doesn't take long to get the idea.

#78044 paulambry, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  5. paulambry

And here's one of my very favourite players. Hardly known in Australia, even though he won Australia's Got Talent about 11(?) years ago. He won $250k and shipped himself off to the States where's he's been honing his skills ever since. Almost revered over there. He's the most versatile guitarist I know. And he writes and sings his own stuff. Extra kudos.

Joe won Australia's Got Talent playing Classical Gas.

6. classic1

Ok, here something I was pondering after having read something about Viv Richards.

Who is the coolest sportsperson of all time? Not the best. The coolest. I’ll chuck out a few.

Viv Richards
    Roger De Vlaeminck
    Jacques Anquetil
    James Hunt
    Muhammad Ali
    Jack Johnson
    Bjorn Borg
    Vitas Gerilitus
    George Best

7. paulambry

The first one that sprung to my mind was James Hunt, who's on your list. But I've always thought the Russell Mockridge was pretty cool... in an intellectual kind of way.

But, nah, if it wasn't James Hunt, it'd be Sterling Moss. Peas in a pod.

[​IMG]

steve likes this.
  8. classic1

If I had to name a basketballer it wouldn’t be Michael Jordan. It would be one of them cool ones from the 70s like wilt chamberlain or Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

A few of left field ones. Imran Khan. Luis Ocana. Eric Cantona.

9. paulambry

Oh. I forgot. David Beckham. By a mile. Until he opens his mouth.

[​IMG]

10. paulambry

Yeah, Imran Khan was always super chic and cool. Pretty cool to end up the Prime Minister of your country too. Not bad.

11. classic1

Jack Johnson was cool as fuck. Shagging white women, beating on white men, looking like a pimp and rubbing noses in it. Cool as fuck.

Viv Richards was cool as fuck. Was there ever a cricketer cooler to watch? And as cocky, with the power to back it up. In a team as cool as that whole West Indies team in the 70s and 80s? With such a cool name? Cool mon

Jacques was cool. He looked cool. He acted cool. He said cool shit. He had cool cars. Looked fucking incredible on the bike. He did whatever the fuck he liked. Steve McQueen looked like Steve erkle next to maître Jacques.

12. classic1

Nope. Not cool at all. Chav and a wanker with an ugly lollipop head missus. He’s a try hard. Fail Paulie, fail. Best >>>>>>x infinity over that fuck knuckle. I can think of ten soccer players cooler than him.

13. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

Tana Umaga. Dreads, played at Centre and took no prisoners. Told the ref "We're not playing tiddly winks" in response to a penalty awarded when he was captain of the All Blacks

14. classic1

DPF. Tom Fischer. Pretty bad on our part when you realise he's had cancer for TEN YEARS!

15. classic1

2019 TAN Dead Pool
    roshea
    : Olivia Newton-John, Olivia de Havilland, Jan Ullrich
    62vette: Jimmy Carter, Pierre Cardin, Betty White
    classic1 - Sean Connery, Valerie Giscard d'Estaing, Rupert Cuntface Murdoch
    paul: Bob Hawke, Warren Buffett, Len Ainsworth.
    Steve: Billy Connolly, Kirk Douglas, Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh
    Wilchemy: Vera Lynn, Steven Tyler, Bert Newton
    Swampy: Nancy Pelosi, Amy Schumer, Van Morrison
    Matagi: Jim Carrey, Johnny Depp, Eva Marie Saint

Paulie still leading. The rest of the TAN still full of fail

steve likes this.
  16. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

Yeah alright. There's no need to shout.
    Jesus it's like noone's ever died before.

17. classic1

My understanding is it would have to be on a matter of law and of sufficient public interest around those laws. Pells profile is not relevant. The appeals court unanimously dismissed Pedo Pells appeals on process and law. The dissenting judge apparently dissented on whether a jury should have had reasonable doubt based on the evidence. So yeah, doubt the high court will give a shit.

How’s the meltdowns the pedophile loving dingbat press is having over this? I thought they loved law and order. Apparently a shitload of judges and the whole jury system are fucked now. Imagine it was some high ranking imam who was convicted. They’d want them strung up by their balls. Hypocrites.

Thank the great spaghetti monster my family isn’t cursed by religion. My bunghole is eternally grateful.

18. paulambry

Spot on Classic. As usual. Appeals must be based on "whether there is any issue of principle, question of general public interest or an injustice which is reasonably clear in the matters raised"

There's no issue of principle here. That is, if there is a common law principle which needs to be established, clarified or modified.

There's no question of public interest (not to be confused with the public being interested in the case).

The appeal court judges made their reasons very clear as to why the original case should stand (by completely dismantling the defence's "it was physically and chronologically impossible for the rapes to have occurred") so there's no issue of an injustice being perpetrated.

After reading the full judgement, I put the chances of being granted leave to appeal at 0%.