The Thread about Nothing....

We've still got all the stuff regarding Pell to come out in the Royal Commission report too. Should be interesting.

Much better. :)
Thanks Pauly and Classo. Sorry about the teaching rant but right now it's seeming impossible. I hadn't even touched on some of the worst of it.
Doesn't help when as a friday day class teacher of apprentices I'm responsible for the lads who are being paid by their bosses to be there, and there's a rule in place that I must call their bosses if they don't show up for the day, or after lunch. Of course the most moronic of them purposely give me an incorrect number for their boss. So this friday it was show me your bosses phone number from your phone, I corrected it on my paperwork, and I was foolish enough to ring their bosses from my mobile in front of the class to make the point about previous absences, rather than use a staff room line after class, to try to get some semblance of control? Of course one of those muppets managed to get my phone no from his boss, and called me on the weekend to complain that I'd told his boss he'd been absent for the afternoon. No it was about the week prior. Goodbye. But he was at least smart enough to go No caller ID, unlike me to his boss. Eh, no foul. Until this afternoon, when I get no caller ID calls saying **** you.
And I don't have enemies, except maybe all those endless no caller ID telemarketers, but even they're not stupid enough to call me on a sunday. Urrrgghhh. I'm starting to understand why people don't respect plumbers. I've seen enough students studying other subjects, and it's becoming pretty clear to me which trade attracts the biggest, most irredeemable ****sticks.

And now I'm gonna sound like a complete nerd, and it won't compare to Classo's movie reviews, but I just thoroughly enjoyed a movie on SBS World Movies, thank god it's back, although the new conservatism means there's a lot less tits and ass and fine, **** too for you equalititss.
Liberal Arts. Dunno if that stuff's on iView. And I'm outing myself as a nerdy teacher by saying so, but it was smartly enough written and loosely about edumacation, and yes it's a bit presumptious for a lowly plumbing teacher to feel affinity with tertiary educators, but it worked for me. And no Mark Wahlberg, nor the Rock. And it wasn't even a comic book once. Praise the lord.

**** me, England can win this Test. It swung and seamed like mad on the first two days, but that is over. It's quite interesting how much test cricket has changed since the shorter versions got more important. It's like it's alien to them all.
They'd better ****ing not. But if they somehow do, it will make for an amazing series.

Hello from Sunny (hazy, actually) Angola. Good place to spend Winter, and the mossies are very friendly and non-discriminatory. I’ve got another month or so here, then a quick flit via Ethiopia to Equatorial Guinea (if they’ll let me in - I wouldn’t), before heading back to KL.

classic1 ‘s Review of Once Upon a Time In ...... Hollywood.

[snip]

At this point I’ll rate it 2.5 stars out of 5.

I saw it tonight and reckon your review is pretty much spot on,classic1.
Definitely needs editing to lose around 45mins I reckon, and the two scenes you suggest are good places to start. Both could be cut to about 5 mins each and still have as much bearing on the overall film. I thought Brad Pitt was excellent and Leo good, and I'll give it one half star more than you just coz Margo Robbie.... 3/5 stars

Here's my review of Dunkirk. I wrote it for my gf at the time who was doing the odd movie review for her work newsletter. We'd done a couple of them together for a laugh and they went over well. Dunno if this one went in. I don't think it did.

I went to the cinema with the intention of watching a movie that would allow me to write an amusing, irreverent and possibly even hilarious review. That all went out the window when I decided to go and see Dunkirk. This was one of the most frightening, loud, intense, explosive, death-filled, butt-clenching cinematic experiences of my whole entire life, at least since I saw the revenant. And that was just the wait in the queue at mid valley 8, lining up to get a ticket. Mid valley. It's a whole experience in itself. Like a mad scientists sociological experiment gone wrong. So much for the funny review.

One thing that I did get out of this intense viewing experience was an insight into the recent past, a past within living memory of our grandparents and great grandparents. The film provided an indication of how difficult and scary it must have been for the troops during the second World War.

The way things are going with Trump, North Korea, the south china sea, Yemen, Syria, etc it may have even given me a disturbing glimpse into the very near future. May god have mercy on our souls.

I rate this movie 4.5 stars out of 5. It's a 5 star film if you're a Tom Hardy fan, which I know most of you girls out there will be. You are all so shallow and predictable. Me, I went there to learn about history, the war, and specifically about the Dunkirk evacuation. Did I mention that Tom Hardy was in the film? Tom. Hardy.

Criticisms? My main criticism of the movie is that Tom Hardy wore too many clothes. My other criticism is that the film lacked the intestine draped and head explosion gore of "saving private Ryan". On the upside it had significantly less Americans in it than Saving Private Ryan. Zero in fact. I found this very refreshing. It felt strange watching a movie that didn't have 50 characters all talking and yelling over the top of one another at the same time.

I'd tell you more about the movie in but I'm too exhausted after such an intense experience. Definitely worth a watch. Go see it. By the way, did I mention Tom Hardy is in it?

I saw it tonight and reckon your review is pretty much spot on,classic1.
Definitely needs editing to lose around 45mins I reckon, and the two scenes you suggest are good places to start. Both could be cut to about 5 mins each and still have as much bearing on the overall film. I thought Brad Pitt was excellent and Leo good, and I'll give it one half star more than you just coz Margo Robbie.... 3/5 stars
I thought it was the world's longest lead up to a single gag. Self referential, self indulgent and tedious. A movie for movie buffs.

People walked out at about the hour mark. If My Beloved and I weren't with another couple, we would have done the same.

1/2 a star each for Brad and Margo. I won't be seeing Tarantino's 10th at the cinema.

Here's my review of Dunkirk. I wrote it for my gf at the time who was doing the odd movie review for her work newsletter. We'd done a couple of them together for a laugh and they went over well. Dunno if this one went in. I don't think it did.

I went to the cinema with the intention of watching a movie that would allow me to write an amusing, irreverent and possibly even hilarious review. That all went out the window when I decided to go and see Dunkirk. This was one of the most frightening, loud, intense, explosive, death-filled, butt-clenching cinematic experiences of my whole entire life, at least since I saw the revenant. And that was just the wait in the queue at mid valley 8, lining up to get a ticket. Mid valley. It's a whole experience in itself. Like a mad scientists sociological experiment gone wrong. So much for the funny review.

One thing that I did get out of this intense viewing experience was an insight into the recent past, a past within living memory of our grandparents and great grandparents. The film provided an indication of how difficult and scary it must have been for the troops during the second World War.

The way things are going with Trump, North Korea, the south china sea, Yemen, Syria, etc it may have even given me a disturbing glimpse into the very near future. May god have mercy on our souls.

I rate this movie 4.5 stars out of 5. It's a 5 star film if you're a Tom Hardy fan, which I know most of you girls out there will be. You are all so shallow and predictable. Me, I went there to learn about history, the war, and specifically about the Dunkirk evacuation. Did I mention that Tom Hardy was in the film? Tom. Hardy.

Criticisms? My main criticism of the movie is that Tom Hardy wore too many clothes. My other criticism is that the film lacked the intestine draped and head explosion gore of "saving private Ryan". On the upside it had significantly less Americans in it than Saving Private Ryan. Zero in fact. I found this very refreshing. It felt strange watching a movie that didn't have 50 characters all talking and yelling over the top of one another at the same time.

I'd tell you more about the movie in but I'm too exhausted after such an intense experience. Definitely worth a watch. Go see it. By the way, did I mention Tom Hardy is in it?
Hahaha. Nice one.

I've seen it a couple of times - once at the cinema and on DVD. And yeah, I give it 5. I'm a Tom Hardy fan.

It's also credible... the historical aspect is very accurate. Joshua Levine was the historical consultant behind the movie, and his book Dunkirk: The History Behind the Major Motion Picture is an excellent read. And if you want a definitive biography of Churchill which gives a wider context, the latest one (there are over 1,000 Churchill biographies) is generally considered the most definitive (not least because of the release of new material from various archives)... Churchill, Walking With Destiny by Andrew Roberts.

Much better. :)
... Of course one of those muppets managed to get my phone no from his boss, and called me on the weekend to complain that I'd told his boss he'd been absent for the afternoon. No it was about the week prior. Goodbye. But he was at least smart enough to go No caller ID, unlike me to his boss. Eh, no foul. Until this afternoon, when I get no caller ID calls saying **** you.
And I don't have enemies, except maybe all those endless no caller ID telemarketers, but even they're not stupid enough to call me on a sunday. Urrrgghhh. I'm starting to understand why people don't respect plumbers. I've seen enough students studying other subjects, and it's becoming pretty clear to me which trade attracts the biggest, most irredeemable ****sticks.
What a little *****.

I'm putting these two together on purpose.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...s-government-put-a-boot-on-journalisms-throat

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnr4pM-ntdc

It's the last bits of the doco that matter to us,
the people, who pay for it all, in far more ways than just the literal cost, still,
now.
You ripper. Thanks for that. Never heard of this bloke.

I thought it was the world's longest lead up to a single gag. Self referential, self indulgent and tedious. A movie for movie buffs.

People walked out at about the hour mark. If My Beloved and I weren't with another couple, we would have done the same.

1/2 a star each for Brad and Margo. I won't be seeing Tarantino's 10th at the cinema.
What if it was 30 or 40 minutes shorter?

CBA3CA53-544E-45D8-AD55-C61722F6524E.jpeg
Spot the difference
7A989912-2D27-4F13-B499-6AD92B9582A1.jpeg

From an article in the guardian

There is one man who will forever cast a shadow across Mugabe.

Nelson Mandela’s life and career paralleled Mugabe’s in many ways until the South African president relinquished power after one five-year term. Mandela is revered as the greatest statesman Africa has produced; Mugabe, who clung on to power beyond his time, is seen as its fallen angel.

Allister Sparks, the late South African journalist, recalled a conversation with Mandela: “We got to talking about Mugabe, whom he really profoundly disliked, and I think it was reciprocated. He said, ‘You know Allister, the trouble with Mugabe is that he was the star – and then the sun came up.’”

Reactions: paulambry