The Thread about Nothing....

I read helter skelter a couple of months ago. Agreed. Great book. How useless were the investigators?

A few aspects of the actual court case left me shaking my head in disbelief. The astonishing time-wasting misconduct of Irving Kanarek - Manson's lead defence lawyer - would be unthinkable here in Australia. I mean, this guy took six days to sum up his case to the jury. He probably caused the trial (the longest murder trial in American history at that time) to drag on for several extra months by futile interjections and pointless legal argument. He was quoted as saying after the trial that he believed Manson was innocent. Not just legally "not guilty", but actually "innocent". He was one odd dude:

Prosecutor Burton Katz, for example, recalled that Kanarek once objected to a prosecution witness stating his own name because, having first heard his name from his mother, it was 'hearsay.'

In the case of People vs. Goodman, Kanarek had stretched a simple theft case, which should have taken a few hours or a day at most, to three months. The amount stolen: $100. The cost to the taxpayers: $130,212.

In the case of People vs. Smith and Powell, Kanarek spent twelve and a half months of pre-trial motions. After an additional two months trying to pick a jury, Kanarek's own client fired him in disgust. A year and a half after Irving Kanarek came onto the case, the jury still hadn't been selected, nor a single witness called.

The other weird thing was the sentencing phase of the trial. This was after the defendants have been found guilty by the jury. And it's here that there's argument still going on about who is actually guilty, rather than just arguing what factors would mitigate the sentence (in this case, death rather than life in prison). Weird.

Reactions: classic1
Hey, I was home crook yesterday and had a chance to watch a few movies.

Upgrade
I found a low budget sci-fi gem that is worth a watch. You'll need to be a little bit generous about some of the props and special effects as they're commensurate with the budget, but the action scenes more than make up for the film's shortcomings.

It was filmed in Melbourne. And, "The chase scene taking place on the southern section of the Craigieburn bypass Hume Freeway (M31) and is actually going the opposite direction to what would have been normal traffic flow to appear that it was filmed in a left hand drive country." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upgrade_(film))

UpgradePoster.jpg

Last edited:
Shoplifters
If you are a patient viewer who doesn't mind their films rolling out in a gentle and subtle way, you might like Shoplifters. It's a beautifully crafted story showing the shabby side of life in Japan for the working poor, concentrating on the question, "what makes a family?"

Shoplifters_%28film%29.jpg

Was Shoplifters on SBS World Movies recently?
I think I saw some of it but only as I channel surfed about 3 shows at once & it was a bit slow paced to grab my attention at that stage.

Poor old Morwell is pretty ****ed. That’s what happens when ****s take away all the jobs, don’t replace them, then dump all melbournes social problems in your area because housing is cheap down here. There are social problems, but **** news corp. They were also supportive of flogging off all the power industry which is why there’s **** all jobs so they can get a big black dead dog up themselves. We live in a punch down and suck up culture, so nothing will change any time soon.

Traralgon and Moe I’d argue aren’t quite as bad, but there are **** areas in both towns. Like any town I suppose. I’m not exposed to drug issues because I don’t move in ****wit circles. The local shopping centre and bus stop has its fair share of Ferals and loonies muttering to themselves, but then again I’ve seen the same thing in the cbd, st kilda, chapel st and Collingwood recently too.

ima gonna let you finish Paul (classic1 snatches microphone).

****ing Chris Cornell unplugged sucks elephant balls. I get he has a great voice blah blah blahdee blah, but it is BORING AS BATSHIT. I had a girlfriend who had a wide on over his acoustic stuff, so I’ve heard it often enough. It’s mind numbing, droning dullness and it’s ****. If I was stuck on a desert island I’d take ‘Spoonman’ over his entire unplugged catalogue. I reckon he topped himself because he heard his own album and got severe depression. I know I thought about it. Ok, I’ve gone too far, you can take the mic back.

If the pies get through to the grand final, obviously I hope we DESTROY Richmond. The best bit would be seeing that big fat unfunny stupid flog Mick Molloy cry. I reckon if Collingwood beat Richmond in a grand final he’d cry like a little *****. Big tears, sobbing, snot bubbles, the works.

Other potentially controversial opinions. REMs automatic for the people is boring. When it finishes, I reckon it would be like what tinnitus suffers must feel if they are magically cured. Like a horrible buzzing and ringing in your ears has cleared up. One thing about it, the songs are so **** they don’t get stuck in your head.

The Joshua Tree by U2 is massively overrated. A killer 4 opening songs, possibly as good an opening as any album ever, tailing off into a a dullness comparable to, I dunno, living next to a peat bog in rural Ireland in the 1950s. Achtung Baby is a better album.