The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. EoinC2

EoinC2 Well-Known Member

Excellent!

2. EoinC2

EoinC2 Well-Known Member

I've got the rest of the week doing Helicopter Underwater Escape training, and then head over to Angola for a month or so at the end of next week (which I'm looking forward to).

3. paulambry

paulambry Well-Known Member

Well blow me down.... the High Court has granted leave to hear George Pell's appeal.

4. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Didn't they refer the decision to decide to grant leave to the full bench?

5. classic1

Bloody attenborough has turn into full on ANIMAL SNUFF MOVIES.

Cunnox polar bears were chasing fat arse walruses off a cliff. You wouldn't want the fat bastards to land on you. Which begs the question. What were them walruses doing up on the cliff? I can't think of an animal more poorly designed for cliff dwelling. Maybe they were retarded walruses and ultimately it was for the betterment of the species?

6. classic1

Sorry. Intellectually challenged walruses

7. paulambry

My bad. You are right. Two justices of the High Court referred the matter to the entire High Court bench "for argument as on an appeal". I'm still betting they'll turn him down.

8. paulambry

I bl
    I blame Barnaby Joyce.

9. paulambry

10. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

No.

11. EoinC2

EoinC2 Well-Known Member

12. classic1

Me? I have no idea. Some bloke explained it on Twitter. Nearly all the media got it wrong what it means.

13. paulambry

"There is no automatic right to have an appeal heard by the High Court and parties who wish to appeal must persuade the Court in a preliminary hearing that there are special reasons to cause the appeal to be heard."

Normally that preliminary hearing is heard by two judges. If they think the appeal has merit, then the case is heard by the full bench - that's usually five or seven judges (if they're available).

In this case, the two judges referred the preliminary hearing to the full bench. So first, Pell's counsel will need to persuade the majority of the bench to actually hear the appeal. If they grant Special Leave, then the actual appeal goes ahead.

The wheels of justice turn ever-so-slowly, so who knows, by the time the case is heard and decided, Pell might be out of jail already (he's eligible for parole in 2022).

14. EoinC2

EoinC2 Well-Known Member

What's happening, Beepers?

15. paulambry

16. EoinC2

EoinC2 Well-Known Member

Woot - Even caught the World's largest eyebrows!!!

Thank you!

17. paulambry

Here's the first study I did which isn't quite as mean...

[​IMG]

EoinC2 and bbp like this.
  18. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

Copy and paste from previous rants Eoin. But also that public servants are subject to a system, beholden even, and it drags us all down to the lowest common denominator. Beurocratic(sic), HR heavy, office worker malevolence from hell. Who can bitch the most, and if you're on the outside suddenly, if they've smelled a weakness because you've realised it's fucking insane, then it's submit to incessant stupidity or bitch back, OR if I have half a brain, just fucking escape the cesspool. I want the dignified exit but I'm not certain I can manage it. That's disappointing.
    But yeah. Man up beepers. You should have, maybe even did, know free enterprise is more worthwhile enterprise.
    And that admission shits me too, because I believe that unfettered free market capitalism as currently practised is a sin. So I'm a hypocrite too.
    I'd rather just be an antitypical tradie.

#78258 bbp, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    EoinC2 likes this.
  19. classic1

It’s not. I’m working for unfettered capitalist free enterprise and in a lot of ways it is every bit as bureaucratic as the public service. In some ways more so

20. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

Yeah I get that. But I had/have? an incredible little niche sole trader one person business where I never had to compromise or lie, but my body was my most important tool. When that tool shows weakness one is potentially fucked.
    For me it was not just that, I also wanted more mental stimulation. I became a teacher. It was a good life change.
    But it is proving not to remain such. Insane unpaid hours, and HR deciding to arbitralily add hundreds more at a whim. It's getting to minimum wage levels of wtf, I can't believe the Unions haven't arced up. But sadly the Libs won again, so we are all fucked. The CEO quit the next week and went back to NZ to work for their govt. Good on her.
    Since then it's been a complete shitfight, dog eat dog, just point making, bitching, bitter hell. I don't need to do that, but if I want to survive in the system it turns out I actually do. Because Everyone is disillusioned, and the teamwork is gone, and the petty public servant whingers arc up and win that game. A game I don't need to play.
    I hope it can improve, but I won't hold my breath. It'll take decades to fix what the gov't has done to Tafe.

EoinC2 likes this.