The Thread about Nothing....

Nope, but I do hear stories about him a fair bit. Sometimes I train with a guy named George Valines who works for him.

He now lives in Torquay, but Torquay isn't a small coastal village anymore!

I recall riding with him one Monday morning around Mount Duneed and I asked how his race had gone in Canberra the day before. He said okay and just talked about anything other than the race. When I looked up the results it turned out that he had just won the Australian Duathlon Championships with Jonathon Hall coming second. Jonathon Hall then went on to win the following World Duathlon Championships and Australian National Road Championships and Australian National Time Trial Championships and came 8th in the World ITT Championships.

I saw him slide down the road on his back at hazelwood pondage sometime around 1986 wearing only a pair dickos. That's the most recent time I saw him.

To be fair, he still won the triathlon.

Reactions: steve
I got a phone call this morning, early, I didn't answer it, it woke me up and I crawled downstairs and made coffee, I've had a very bad back lately, so bad, **** it. not worth explaining.

But this mate said his girlfriend rang him this morning and said she was late. "for what?" She's a schoolteacher, it's the first week back, I was like did she **** on the stick? Yes she did, and positive.
And he's happy about it, until I started making jokes about nappies and your **** being my bread and butter. Then he hang up. They're plumber's jokes.

How proud am I with my ****ed up JoHo estranged family history to be the first bloke a dear friend calls when he's heard such news.
Happy is the answer.
Community is life.
I love the TAN.
Smash the cnuts Steve.

Reactions: EoinC2
Dirty is one of the dear friends who has helped me survive this latest injury by loaning me money, so he's clearly a ****ing hero, but somehow we've been talking about Raspberry PI's, I mean he's a PhD Reasearch Fellowship and ****, and I kinda understand that you can buy tiny computers that get amazing **** done.Whatever.
I'm a big fan of this website and this particular bloke who started off with an MGB GT,
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f...nd-project-cars/1929-majestic-91/89699/page1/
but Dirty was dismissive.
He is a a bit of a **** even though he's right into mixing valves and Linux Pi. As in he would have kept the valves in the drivetrain, because he's an overdriven guitarist, I think.
I truly wish I knew what I was talking about. But I do intend to learn it.

Last edited:
Apparently only two people died in that helicopter crash.

Unfortunately, most crashes are pilot error....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Oh Hi Paul. Helicopters are worse that racing cars. C'e's't la vie.

Also Dirty replied, there's not a lot of context here, but he's clearly a ****.
pi
ok mate I've got you sorted out now. Yes I did check out the link, way longer and even more boring than I could ever have anticipated. I notice that he did at first simply use the OS that came with the highberry amp to run the Pi-amp system, as I suspected. However, as you said, he then later worked out how to install just the two modules he needed, leaving the residual Pi capacity for future things, so I'll pay that. And to pay you, I've attached a run down of my hifi system, a collection of cast-offs, cheap china-boxes and some fancy mods that sounds shui-perb, enjoy!

And sorry, I'm keeping the rest of the message to myself. Because I'm a **** too. And I also haven't asked his permission to share, and I know he's rather proud of it.
Brave New World ****.
cleardot.gif

Last edited:
Apparently only two people died in that helicopter crash.

Unfortunately, most crashes are pilot error....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I spent a large amount of my working life in choppers (only occasionally these days). Back when working in the jungles of PNG, nearly all of our pilots were ex-deer recovery drivers from the NZ deer wars of the 1970-80’s, and they are / were amazeballs. First flight of the day, standard practice was to hover near a tree and trim the branches with the rotor to get the eyeball / rotor tip distance calibrated, as they could almost guarantee to be hitting trees during the day’s flying.
Me heading out to the hills with 100kg of placcy explosive...
A022 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B015 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A007 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A004 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A005 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A006 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and home in the bush...
A003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

I spent a large amount of my working life in choppers (only occasionally these days). Back when working in the jungles of PNG, nearly all of our pilots were ex-deer recovery drivers from the NZ deer wars of the 1970-80’s, and they are / were amazeballs. First flight of the day, standard practice was to hover near a tree and trim the branches with the rotor to get the eyeball / rotor tip distance calibrated, as they could almost guarantee to be hitting trees during the day’s flying.
Me heading out to the hills with 100kg of placcy explosive...
A022 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B015 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

OOPS

Have you read “throim way leg” by Tim Flannery Eoin?

Good read. Looking for new species in PNG and West Papua in the 80’s

Is that plane a Twin Otter?

And do you blow stuff up for a living or was that cargo on the flight anyway?
Yes, it’s a Twotter. We used to use them to fly kit between airstrips, and then chopper in from there.
The Powergel is for seismic, but we had free reign for blowing things up, too.

Have you read “throim way leg” by Tim Flannery Eoin?

Good read. Looking for new species in PNG and West Papua in the 80’s
Yep, it’s a great read. I spent a fair bit of time up in the Highlands, and on the Sepik on the North side, and down in the Gulf in the South.
A001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A011 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A010 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A008 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A009 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A021 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A016 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B011 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B016 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B012 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Of the ones I knew, the shooters. They had 4 methods of capture:
1) Electric current with 2 pins and an extension lead back to the chopper (limited).
2) Tranquilliser darts (expensive).
3) Nets (effective).
4) Jumping on the deer (cheap).